You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

They also enjoy-but on the next morning

Have you ever visited roads, grounds, fields, footpaths the next morning of Diwali? I do. We can see the remains of firecrackers, candles, unused 'diyas' and many other things lying on the ground the next morning of Diwali. We can also observe little children of nearby slums inspecting and picking up those remains. These small children carefully inspect the candles, each and every packet of chocolate bombs, other crackers, the coloured papers used for decorative purposes and other similar objects.

If they get firecrackers which were not used, they are very happy. If they get an unused 'fuljhari', their face become an epitome of happiness. And last year, I saw a little girl collecting coloured decorative papers, torn paper lanterns, etc. and herself making beautiful decorative patterns. She was very pleased with herself after completing each pattern.

They also enjoy. They also celebrate-but on the next morning.
    I have noticed these type of incidents many times on the next day of Diwali. These incidents are very common even in villages also. The children of the beggars staying in that area will go to various streets early in the morning and collect unused items and try to enjoy by burning them.This is a pity still in this country we see such people. This country rulers widened the gap between rich and poor. The rich have become very rich and poor have become very poor. Even now no actions are being taken by the government to bring down the gap. How to eliminate the poverty, how to bring the poor people to a better level. This aspect is to be seriously thought and some actions are to be taken by the rulers. Then we will not have the chances of seeing such scenes on the road I think.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes, in many ways the poor celebrate the festivals a little later than others. Very nice observation of poor children checking crackers. Many times for the maids at home, mother used to give old clothes, some sweets and some money on the day of Pongal and other major festivals, these maids and their children would use it to celebrate the festival in the evenings. They also need to, want to but don't have the means to do it.

Today I was very happy to see cups of rice (more than a handful) given as prasadam at temples to the needy, a cup or two would be sufficient as a meal for the poor. This is better than giving money and on the festival day, they also can enjoy the simple food that satisfies their hunger for some time.

Sad, but it is the fact. There are people around us who find joy in small things. They can't afford to buy hence they celebrate with leftovers. Hope a day will come when all Indians can celebrate all the festivals on the same day itself.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Yes the next day after Deepavali would give urchins the chance to have some un exploded crackers and left over of crackers which might have failed to perform in group. Invariably lots of garbage gets accumulated after Deepavali and the Municipal workers would have tough time to clear the filth. The author made the close observation on how some people who get satisfaction even in our left overs. That is great feeling when some one gets their choice of things out of luck no matter even after one day. This is life. Here some one gets the benefit immediately, some gets after others get, and some gets when others leave totally for them.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

On the day of Diwali when the rich people have many things in plenty be it clothes, sweets, crackers and many other such stuff, the poor people are waiting for the next day to collect the remains. It is very sad that still our country has a diverse gap between rich and poor and there are many people who still remain under poverty line. Real celebration of Diwali in our country marks only when all the people are able to enjoy and celebrate the festivals equally. Some people have a lot of stuff which can be of use to many but are kept unused. But now, many people and organisations has come forward to supply the necessary stuffs for poor people. And I feel the real happiness lies in donating an affordable amount to poor children to buy clothes, sweets and crackers so that they can also light Diwali in their houses.

They also enjoy-but on the next morning. And what a shame it is. Worse still is to notice the trend, year upon year, and do nothing about it. Do they not deserve to celebrate the festival, like all the other people of a faith? It looks like festivities are only for those who can afford to burn money. Is that the spirit one exhibits during the festival season? Should people not be spreading joy and sharing what they have, with those of their own faith?

I read a post sympathising with the minorities in Pakistan. But, what of those who live in the same vicinity as you? The slum children, the urchins and the beggars – can't anyone make it a special Diwali for them? Do they have to rummage through the litter that you create, to get some joy? Can you not, keeping with the spirit of the occasion, give them that joy?

I am dismayed by some of the messages that have been popping up in the forum. Yes, it is time to celebrate and share your joy. But, doling out leftovers and old clothes is not a way to do it. Think about it, the real giving is not in sharing expensive sweets and presents with those who already have the means to buy what they want, and yet everyone does that – giving expensive boxes of 'mithai' to neighbours, whose dining tables and kitchens are already overflowing with similar boxes. The real meaning of sharing your festive happiness is in giving to those from whom you do not expect anything in return. Gift a box of the same expensive 'mithai' to the maid who works for you, instead of giving her the leftovers, which no one wants.

How would it be if you begin receiving used items and leftovers, as a Diwali gift, from your employer?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

" But, doling out leftovers and old clothes is not a way to do it." Oh My God! The thread is going to a wrong direction. Who 'doles out' left-overs? Certainly not me! I notice this trend of rummaging through the litters every year, and so I raised this post.

I don't want to bring my personal life in this thread. As a matter of principle, I don't accept Diwali gift from my office (and as a result many colleagues say many things about me). Further, my wife and myself give gifts to the maid and cook (and their children) as much as our pockets permit. And those gifts are certainly not 'left-overs'.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

As children(child) even I have enjoyed such picking up of leftover crackers etc on the next day of Diwali, Vishu or any such festival where we used crackers and fireworks. There was nothing to feel ashamed then. It was just a child's fun. Even when we had full entertainment the previous day, the more thrilling happiness was to pick the left over unused or un-burnt, half burnt fireworks from the roads. The red 'chilly' crackers never burn and explode in full. Some of them get strayed from the bunch when getting lighted and fall away. These will remain unexploded. It is such ones we used to pick and have a good field.

People have become socially aware,magnanimous and even those who live in exclusive gated colonies also share festivities with the less privileged now a days. There are any voluntary organisations and clubs and group of citizen who distribute crackers or other materials to the less privileged children(prior to the festival day) enabling them also enjoy festivities. At least the gap is narrowing down much to be welcome. Hope the gap will soon vanish.

My post is based on the comments that have been made in the forum, and it is very much in line with the thread.

The government does not give 'Diwali gifts' to its employees, so I do not understand your statement of not accepting gifts from your office.

I have raised very pertinent points since you were vociferous about your rights when it came to the cracker ban. You made it a 'religious' issue. For someone who associates crackers with religion, my reflections should come across as valid.

Spread the joy and ensure that every slum dweller, beggar and urchin enjoys the festival with as much fervour as you do, not the next day, but the same day as you. That would be in keeping with the spirit, which you display. By now the slum dwellers should have been celebrating the festival alongside you and all the other privileged lot, on the night of Diwali. If one cannot do this much, for one's own people, then all other talk is shallow.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I still maintain that to an 'aam-admi', i.e., 'mango-people' like me, banning crackers on the occasion of Diwali is a religious issue. But how is it related to the present thread?

I do donate as per my capacity. I don't want to brag about it. And it is a fact that many young children try to find unused fire-crackers from the litters.

A thread that deeply expresses the celebration by the poor slum children, how they celebrate their Diwali after our Diwali. It is the bitter truth of life. I agree with Chitra since they cannot afford and that is why they find happiness with the little things like this. This does not mean that people are cruel to them and nobody helps them. Everyone goes to the needy as per their affordability. In fact people today are more into helping the poor people and give them sweets and gifts on occasions and celebrations.
    Do what inspires you !!

The PIL for the banning of crackers was also made by the 'aam admi'. They didn't drop from Mars or another country. They are common people like you and have probably an older ancestry link to the city. They are also Hindus, but they looked beyond their religion and acted for the good of their city (nation). They put the nation before their traditions.

How is this related to the present thread? The context isn't hard to miss. You objected to the ban, making it an anti-Hindu, stand. Since crackers are what you call a religious issue, why do you not extend a hand and help the children from the slum celebrate the festival, as it is meant to be celebrated? Not just through donations and gifts, but through a bigger campaign.

The title of this post tells a story. I would have expected someone who objected to the ban on crackers as being anti-Hindu, to be proactive in ensuring that the underprivileged from his religion is not deprived of a religious tradition.

Children may be looking for unused fire-crackers from the litter that you create, but the point here is that "they ALSO enjoy – BUT on the next morning". So, there is a clear divide. I am looking at it from a purely religious angle. Why should they "enjoy" a religious event, the next morning?

Someone filed a PIL asking for a ban on crackers. A few objected to it. I do not see any PIL towards ensuring that everyone who celebrates the festival does it in the traditional way, on an auspicious day, instead of some having to comb streets and parks, to make a celebration out of their finds. If you stand up for a tradition, do it for everyone and not just to safeguard your interest. Wouldn't it be better if they also celebrate, with you, the same day?

Yes, I definitely want the slum-dwelling children celebrate with me. But what is the relationship between this and cracker ban? I feel for these children, so I have raised this thread. But it doesn't mean that we have to stop celebratiing our festivals. Which community does this (entirely stopping celebration of festival for the sake of poor people)?

Generally 'aam-admis' don't dare to knock the doors of Supreme Court-it is sad but true.

I haven't proposed you put an end to your celebrations. What I am opposed to is, your celebrations infringing upon someone else's right to clean air, but that is another topic.

I am showing displeasure against someone celebrating the next morning. That disturbs me.

Staying on the current topic and how the cracker ban is connected to it. Well, it's already been explained. You oppose the cracker ban because it infringes on your religious sentiments. You've shown your displeasure about it. You see it as an assault on the rights of Hindus. Many slum dwellers must also belong to the majority community that you belong to. Why must they have to rummage through your litter, to be able to celebrate? Do they not deserve to preserve the same culture and traditions, as you? Or are they destined to be picking through piles of rubbish for that one sparkler or a half-burnt flowerpot, to be able to celebrate, the same festival that you hold so dear?

My problem is the indifference shown to one's own brethren. Not a whimper in their name. Why not fight for their right to celebrate the festival in the way that it is supposed to. Why not ask for subsidised or free crackers for them, through ration card, so they have the same celebrations as you.

Yes, I raise this, for the sake of the poor. If you can question the Supreme Court's decision making it as anti-Hindu, then why do you not see the log in your own eye. You've been living with it for years, taking it in your stride, accepting it. But, don't you see, Diwali was the night before, so what were those children celebrating - was it the festival or was it the find? You are worried about having to take permission to celebrate Holi and Diwali, like the minority, in another country. What about the people in your own country, in your own neighbourhood? Why are you not concerned about them and their rights to religious rituals?

And, the common man is hardly the spineless 'admi' that you make him out to be. Everyone stands up to defend their own interest. I am sure, many who oppose the cracker ban would have applauded it had one of their dear ones been suffering from a health issue.

del
    Thanks,
    Suresh.

I humbly request ME to lock this thread. The thread has now become totally meaningless and ridiculous thanks to various responses.

• Sign In to post your comments