Some Tips for Safe and Healthy DeepawaliDeepawali is a festival of celebration and joy for Indians. Normally, this festival is celebrated by lighting diyas, busting crackers and eating sweets. The joy of this festival will multiply if it is celebrated with due care with regards to crackers and sweets. Daily we watch some or the other crackers related accidents on TV and how some sweet vendors are vitiating the Deepawali sweets.
The following tips will help you celebrate this festival safely and healthy.
1. Light Diyas with at most care. These may cause burns. Diyas should be kept in such a way
that they are not in direct air flow. Diyas should be kept away from inflammable articles like
curtains and woody parts of windows and doors.
2. Crackers should be purchased from licensed vendors. Crackers should bear ISI mark. Keep
crackers in a safe place away from the reach of small kids.
3. Do not burst crackers in the porch, garage and near vehicles. Burst crackers only in open
places away from road traffic and common pathways.
4. Keep your vehicles in garage or some shade.
5. Children should burst crackers only under strict guidance and supervision of adults. Arial
crackers like rockets and chimaneys should be avoided. Smokey crackers should be avoided.
Use goggles and ear gags while busting exploding type of crackers.
6. While busting crackers, keep blankets, water filled buckets and first-aid box ready and
handy. These things may be useful in event of accident.
7. Do not experiment with crackers. Do not try any cracker in hand or from close to the body.
8. Purchase sweets only from trusted vendors. Avoid sweets made from milk or milk products.
It would be better to purchase sweets made from dry fruits.
9. Sweets made at home should be preferred to market sweets.
10. Do not use loose synthetic clothing.
Members may add more tips to make this celebration safe and healthy. Happy Deepawali!