You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Why are Lord Ganesha & Goddess Saraswati seen alongside Goddess Lakshmi

In seeking blessings for wealth, let's not forget knowledge and wisdom - that is the message conveyed in images of Goddess Lakshmi having Lord Ganesha and Goddess Saraswati on either side. That is the reason, too, that during Lakshmi puja, idols of the other two deities are also placed and worshipped together with the Goddess of wealth.

It is so true that in our chase for making more money, we often forget the importance & role in our lives of learning and of wisdom.

Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi, Goddess Saraswati
    Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Saraswathi are supposed to be the incarnations of Goddess Durga. Goddess Saraswathi is the Goddess of knowledge, Goddess Lakshmi is the Goddess of wealth and Lode Ganesha is the God to see that you will not face any obstacles in your journey of life. For any individual,l knowledge, wealth and intelligence are required for success. The intelligence and the way of overcoming obstacles will be given God Ganesha, The Knowledge will be given the Goddess Saraswathi and The wealth will be given by Goddess Lakshmi. So it is customary to worship these three together for success in our life. That is why we get a number of photos showing three of them.
    A small story was there about the reason for worshipping God Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi together. One day Goddess Lakshmi was feeling very proud because many people worship her for wealth and prosperity. She has gone to Lord Vishnu and started praising herself telling that she only can make people rich etc.. Lord Vishnu understood her mood. He told her that you are great but no lady is complete without children. Goddess Lakshmi has no children. She started thinking about this and finally gone to Goddess Parvathi to ask for a son out of her two sons. she explained her the position requested for a child. Paravathi after thinking a lot decided to give God Ganesha for Lakshmi. That is why people started worshipping these two together,

drrao
    always confident

Good image by author and good story from Rao thanks to both of them.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

What I have been told by my elders that Goddess Lakshmi is more generous and would grant to boon all those who follow her and do great offerings during festivities and she would be obliged to bestow with more wealth to all those who offer prayers and reverence regularly and daily. But what is the use of having money when we do not have the wisdom to spend it safe and save it for future. So Lord Ganesha is also prayed along with Goddess Lakshmi so that there should not any obstacles to earn money and wealth and Goddess Saraswathi also prayed so that we must get the knowledge and have wisdom to spend the money wisely.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Nice thread and replies, I think we often pray to Lord Ganesh, Goddess Lakshmi and Saraswathi to have success and courage to overcome the obstacle, to be blessed with wealth and knowledge so that we can be happy and successful in our lives.One without the other one or other two would make us incomplete in today's world.

I find that Goddess Saraswathi temples are few in number and you have to really look for or ask our elders. One such Saraswathi temple is in Kootanur TamilNadu, where you can donate money for books for the local school children yearly.

Although I don't have much knowledge about religious scriptures, I feel that Goddess Lakshmi (Goddess of prosperity) is fully connected and related with Lord Ganesha (God of success) and Goddess Saraswati (Goddess of wisdom). So Lord Ganesha and Goddess Saraswati are worshiped along with Goddess Lakshmi.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I thought they were just representing their houses. As Saraswati represents brahmlok, Lakshmi represents Vaikunt, Ganesh represents Kailash.
    And their powers are similar too. Lakshmi bestows one with wealth. Ganesh removes the obstacles and Saraswati tells how to use wealth wisely.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Reply from Aditya was very interesting and convincing and this prove that every members has their own interpretation.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A knowledgeable thread from the author. Also a nice story by Mr. Rao and both tells why Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Saraswati sits aside of God Ganesha.
    Do what inspires you !!

I totally agree with the author. We are in the run to make money and we forget to gain knowledge and wisdom. A nice thread revealing the importance of worshiping the three deities together. Also a nice story from Mr. Rao, nice to know.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

• Sign In to post your comments