You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Differences between Teacher and Guru.

A Teacher takes responsibility for your growth.
    A Guru makes you responsible for your growth.

A teacher gives you things you do not have and require.
    A Guru takes away things you have and do not require.

A Teacher answers your questions.
    A Guru questions your answers.

A Teacher requires obedience and discipline from the pupil.
    A Guru requires trust and humility from the pupil.

A Teacher gives you knowledge and boosts your ego.
    A Guru takes away your knowledge and punctures your ego.

A Teacher instructs you.
    A Guru constructs you.

A Teacher sharpens your mind.
    A Guru opens your mind.
    I thought both teacher and guru are synonyms. Thanks for sharing this information, so that I could get clear about the two words in depth.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Wow the difference between the Guru and teacher was well written to the understandable level of the member. What I wish to further add that a teacher might have limited knowledge of all subjects but would be certainly better in main subject. But that is not the case with Guru. He must be knowing all things to which the shishya poses the question. He must enlighten and clear the doubts with various examples of life. A guru teaches out of his own personal experience and also from Puranas. Guru has wide knowledge and cannot be over taken by the Shishyas. Hope other members would also add some facts.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Wonderful set of facts presented very well sir. Most of us use the terms Teacher and Guru in similar circumstances with Guru meaning a traditional teacher of older times.

Many of us may not have had the luck of having a teacher and a Guru. In a holistic sense, to me, teachers gave us education and now Life is our Guru who is moulding us every day with a new experience and a new lesson.

I'm not sure whether there are any schools with the Gurukul type of training and education and if so are they accepted in the mainstream later on?

A very good narration of differences between Guru and teacher.
    A teacher teaches you but a Guru makes you to learn.
    We have to serve the Guru and get educated. A Guru is a person who makes you to understand.
    The people who are interested in learning from Guru should serve him, be with him and dedicate himself to follow the orders of the Guru. Once the Guru said something it is final. When a student respects him like that only we will get to know the real knowledge.
    A nice post which brought the definitions of Guru and Teacher.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments