You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Nain Singh Rawat: A respected Asian Explorer

Nain Singh Rawat (21-10-1830 to 1-2-1882) from Johar valley, Kumaon was an explorer who mapped the trade route through Nepal to Tibet. He was the first to determine the altitude of Lahasa. He was adept with Tibetian customs, knowledge and geography. He often explored Tibet for the British in disguise and secrecy, drawing maps in coded languages. His major achievement was mapping the route from Leh to Lhasa. He also mapped a large part of river Brahmaputra.

He was honoured and awarded a gold medal by the Royal Geographic Society in 1877. He died due to cholera in 1882.
    Thanks to the author for penning down the great details of Asian explorer Nain Singh Rawat, and this is the new information to me and many as I never came across such a talented person in history. From this submission one thing is clear that there were people who want to explore the explicit beauty of nature beyond their boundaries and their quest to understand other countries and the short cut routes to reach there. And we thought only foreigners are well versed in such risk taking adventures and with this write up the author made known the more about Nain Singh Rawat and we are well informed.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I feel ashamed that I didn't know about this great explorer, Nain Singh Rawat. Today after noticing the Google doodle, I searched and learnt about him. In this connection I remember Sarat Chandra Das (1849-1917), who also did mapping work in Tibet and became a scholar in Tibetan language, culture and Tibetan Buddhism. I also remember Rahul Sankrityan (1893-1963) who also visited Tibet extensively and learnt their language and culture.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is an education to me. I don't know about Nain Singh Rawat and also Sarat Chandra Das. I am feeling bad that I am not good at history. Whatever little history I learned in school also slowly I am forgetting. I am thinking, I should spare some time daily to read something about history. where and when to accommodate I am thinking. But I am learning good knowledge about history through ISC. I should thank this site for giving a chance to get educated. Many unsung heroes like that. The people who are bringing them to limelight should be thanked for their contributions.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao: It is really heart-warming that you are gradually being interested to read history. In India there are many great people who have been forgotten or are being forgotten. As for example, Rahul Sankrityan was a remarkable man. He was known for his scholarship, adventurism and controversy. But very few people know about him. Colonel Suresh Biswas was another remarkable man. Same is applicable for Sarat Chandra Das. Even the Bengalis have forgotten these great explorers.

And what about Shrigyan Ateesh Dipankar, the greatest Bengali of all time. How many Bengalis have even heard about him?

Same is applicable for all regions of India. Thanks to our history education, we have forgotten our real heroes in every field.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I too was not aware until, this morning, his achievements are so remarkable that an authority of Asian geography has lauded his efforts as rival to none in making the map of northeast Asia so informative and valuable. And Kumoan is one place on my dream list to visit.

• Sign In to post your comments