You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Who is the ablest opposition leader of India?

Just now in another thread, the comparative study of three heroes of Tamil cinema is being done. While reading the thread and responses, I have started thinking about the opposition leaders of India. There is no dearth of opposition leaders in India. In Congress, mother-son duo (Soniaji & Rahulji) are the centre of attraction. In UP, Mulayam-Akhilesh of Samajwadi Party and Mayawati of Bahujan Samaj Party are there. In Bihar, Laloo-Tejasvi are very much in the news. West Bengal follows the orders of Mamata Banerjee. Navin-babu is at the helm of Orissa for a quite long time. Telengana leader Chandrasekhar Rao and Andhra Pradesh leader Chandrababu Reddy are very much in the limelight. In Maharashtra, Sharad Pawar is very important. In J&K, Faruk-Omar still have considerable importance and relevance. Sitaram Yechury remains everywhere despite stationed in Delhi. And who can forget AK @ Arvind Kejriwal?

Among these great leaders, who do you think the ablest? Who can be the best substitute of the present Prime Minister? Kindly express your opinion freely. You can also name any other leader who I may have failed to mention.

Let's have a healthy discussion with logical argument. No acrimony please.
    It was J Jayalalitha, the late former Chief Minister of Tamilnadu could have been the best and strong opposition leader in Indian Parliament. A dynamic golden lady from Tamilnadu who kept her ministers on their toes. She has severed the parliament, and no one can dare to talk to her. Even the media cannot handle her. Alas! the lady is no more.
    No life without Sun

Mr. SuN, there is absolutely no doubt that ''Purachi Thalaivi'' was a great leader. But she is no more. So, there is no question of considering her a substitute of the Prime Minister. Please read the penultimate para of my post.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Like Jayalalitha, the late former Chief Minister of Combined Andhra Pradesh, the legendary actor and the leader who brought all the opposition parties into a single dias against the then ruling party, Congress might have been proved to be a very good Prime Minister. But unfortunately, he is no more. In the present lot of all the best leaders in BJP and all other parties, number one candidate who is eligible for PM post in none other our present PM. He is has shown very good qualities as a bold decision maker. If somebody feels he is not suitable, no other leader will be near to him. AP Chief Minister is having some really good qualities to become a plan. A visionary and action-oriented man but not that much interested in central politics. Mr, Venkiah Naidu was coming almost near to the present PM on many issues but now he is not in the active politics. He has been made Vice President of India. So I don't think none of the listed people by you are as good as the present PM.
    drrao
    always confident

I think Dr. Shashi Tharoor would be a very good prospective Prime Minister. He is not just a well-educated person but also globally recognized person.

Thanks Ms. Neethu. I forgot to mention his name. He is definitely an excellent candidate but would his party allow him even to dream about Prime Minister-ship?

Who is the ablest opposition leader of India?
    Narendra Modi in 2019!

In this educational site, some may be forgetting the difference between Present Tense and Future Tense. Future will be definitely tense!

I am not sure about that Mr. Partha, but I definitely think he can be the best candidate if given an opportunity.

In the recent times, we've lacked a strong, consistent opposition leader. We need someone who has the pulse of current issues, know the official machinery, is bold enough to be assertive and take stand on key issues, have presence felt in the national arena.
    In no order of priority, the potential candidates would be P.Chidanbaram (apart from his son's cases), Kapil Sibal, Arvind Kejriwal(needs to be consistent). Neethu has already mentioned Sashi Tharoor.

Had Jagan Mohan Reddy has not committed fraud and scams, he could have been formidable leader to reckon with. The way he is giving sleepless nights to Chandrababu Naidu is evident from the daily events. The poll promises, the corruption issues and the inability of administration in AP was well brought in to limelight. But unfortunately due to his miss deeds earlier during his father regime, he is forced to for go all his properties and money and also waste time at the courts every friday. Surely he has the niche to take on as the formidable opposition. One more thing, had he cooperated with Sonia Gandhi and never discarded her after his father Y S Rajashekhar Reddy's death, Jagan would have even had the chance to become CM of then AP. Nevertheless he is going to be watched carefully in the ensuing election in AP and my point will prove.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There is no dearth of good leaders now in opposition. My first choice will be Dr Manmohan Singh. Though old, he is the best alternative in 2019. The others that can be reckoned are Rahul Gandhi, P.Chidambaram, Jyothiraditya Scindia,
    As Mr Neeraj observed, in 2019, it will not be Modi but Sushma Swaraj the best choice for the opposition leader.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Dr. Manmohan Singh is my all time favorite, but I doubt if he will take up the seat of the PM again. If he comes back again, will be more than happy.

The limited perspective of this thread is to find out a leader in the opposition camp who can unite the opposition parties and put up a semblance of fight against the ruling party. Who is he/she?

We will discuss the outcome of the Lok Sabha election of 2019 in another thread although some people think that the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I thought well and have this good lady in my mind. She is none other than Mamta Banerjee, an able leader who can replace Modiji.
    Also I second Natarajan's P Chidambaram who can replace Modi. I do not find any other suitable leader from the opposition group.

No life without Sun

#613183: Agree with you, among the young talent who need to be groomed for a high office, Jyothiraditya Scindia and Sachin Pilot. Can Priyanka Gandhi revitalise the Congress as a fresh face and a fresh start with her brother and mother supporting her?

For more than 24 hours no response has been posted to this thread. So, I think I should now express my personal view. I tried to discuss the issue of chosing the most eligible leader for the opposition who can unite the opposition parties for the next LS election in 2019. Many Members have suggested many names. Some of the Members discussed who would be the next Prime Minister, although that question is beyond the scope and ambit of this thread.

I feel that the most able candidate in the entire opposition camp for LS-2019 is Naveen Patnaik. This low-profile leader is suave, highly educated, from a very famous political family and there is no major charge of corruption against him. Furthermore, he never indulges in caste or communal politics. He has been developing Orissa slowly but steadily. I think other opposition parties will accept his leadership.

Naveen-babu is capable of uniting the opposition. But would he agree to lead those short-sighted leaders?

• Sign In to post your comments