You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the Topic based TOW contest for the week 29th Oct to 04th Nov '17.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Voice of a teenager - my interests are not an addiction

The world's a strange place and I tell you why
    It calls a habit, an addiction when to its rules it doesn't comply.

My love for books is never seen as an affliction,
    But my love for the internet is somehow an addiction.
    I can spend hours playing a sport, and it wouldn't create a conflict,
    Yet, for playing video games on my smartphone, I'm labelled, as an addict.
    Writing letters, making phone calls, makes me genial, without opposition,
    But, my interactions on the social media are looked on as a mere addiction.

Why some thing's that I do, are seen, as done with conviction,
    While many of my other actions, looked upon, as nothing but an addiction.
    How you will judge me, is impossible to predict,
    You so easily label a normal person, calling me an addict.
    I don't see my activities, as an omission; they're all just my passion,
    And, I really wonder why, you see what that I do, as only an addiction.

My interests aren't vices, why do you treat them as addictions,
    Do my likings really have to create all this friction?
    Everyone has an interest, a liking for something that just clicked,
    You go and spoil it all, by terming me an addict.
    I am not on drugs or an alcoholic struggling with addiction,
    Stop, badgering me because what I do is contrary to your conviction.

My entry for the TOW - Addiction.
    Excellent compilation and composition of addiction, Juana. well done.
    No life without Sun

Excellent compilation and composition of addiction. really, whenever I see your compositions I feel very happy to read.
    "Be cool and Stay focused".
    Shaik sohail.

Superb!!

Nothing more to say, its just Wow!!

Using social media is not an addiction. You can interact on social media with your posts. But there is a limit. From evening 6.PM to 12. 30AM somebody is spending on social media and neglecting other important issues is definitely an addiction. There are certain important things one has to carry out like studying, learning , sleeping, playing.like this you can also have fun on internet for some time. That need not be treated as addiction. But not doing any other works and only spending time on chating,posting and playing on smart phone is an addiction only. Too much is never acceptable.
    A good post by the author. A good narration like a poem. A good spell out.

drrao
    always confident

Very nice and well presented thread by the authoress. The distinction between hobbies and addiction has been made vividly clear and the parents or people putting unnecessarily a tag of addiction on children or students is also brought out precisely.

Yes, we must differentiate between them and that will be a healthy way of treating the people who are busy with their hobbies or constructive works.

Knowledge is power.

You seem to understand tender teenage minds really well. Nice selection and use of words.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Excellent narrative style and detailed attention to all the aspects that adults and teenagers argue about. Reading this is like listening to the teenager's voice telling us to try and understand them. Many times, I've wondered why so.Maybe as parents and elders, we often see the downside of what teenagers do. Or is it the fact that tabs, smart mobiles, internet, chatting are things that we did not have and now we are unable to accept them in the hands of teenagers. I think we should be happy as long as these are used constructively by teenagers. Congrats on a wonderful thread.

Thank you, people, for your positive comments. I do feel there is bias in the way teenagers are judged. And most teens feel ostracised and judged by the older generation. It's true, most of us would have experienced this.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Very nicely written Juana. After reading the whole narration, I really wonder if there is anything that can be termed as an addiction. None of us really have a right to interfere in some one's life and name their habits as good or bad.

There is no doubt that it is an excellent poem. The poem aptly reflects the thinking process of modern-day teenagers.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments