You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How places in Hyderabad like "kasarhatta" and "jahanuma" got their names ?

When you go round the old city of Hyderabad, surely you will come across unusual names which was never heard before nor you have such similar names elsewhere in the country. Hyderabad is predominantly Muslims dominated area but since many years Hindus also penetrated into their areas and even have some old temples. Some of the names of Hindu temples are reflected as the name Muslims and one place where the Lakshmi Narsimha Temple is located near Lad Bazaar Charminar is called Kasaratta. That means while killing Hiranya Kashipu, the vengeance with which Lord Narayana took avtar as Narsimha has been depicted in Urdu as Kasar- Hatta. Like Jai Hanuman colony has been renamed to suit Muslims as Jaha anuman and thus became Jahanuma.
    Good information mohan sir. Many places got changed like this. Similarly in Chennai syed abad is changed into saidapet, Hamilton bridge to ambattan varavati. However it is news to me though I have come to Hyderabad, I have not visited these places, next time sure I will.

Good information from Mohan. I am staying in Hyderabad from last 30 years but I never know about these places and names. Now I am thinking that I should once visit those temples. My surname is the name, Narasimha Swamy. So definitely I will try to make a visit there. In Andhra Pradesh, Kakinada is the capital of East Godavari District. This city is planned on similar lines of Canada. So the initial name of this city was Co Canada. Slowly in usage, it has become Kakinada.
    drrao
    always confident

Good sir, never knew this, it's great to know about the history of a city or town, over time people and rulers gradually change the name, now we modern citizens give it an English twist and unique names arise. Bangalore, founded by Kempegowda was called as first called as Bendakaluru'City of Guards'. This changed to Bengaluru in modern-day Kannada.

Like wise the Second Hyderabad has become Secunderabad for us in long run. And the great Victoria market as become Ranigunj as of now.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Is any of the information shared above authenticated? Most of the information appears to be fabricated.

Secunderabad comes from Second Hyderabad?

Kakinada planned on similar lines of Canada?

Let's not distort history, please.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

What kind of authentication be provided. The way names are changed as per local aspirations that itself a authentication.
    K Mohan

What local aspirations? Everything has a basis, where did you get your information about 'local aspirations' from? Was it from a WhatsApp message?

Please do some research before sharing the tidbits of information that you gather. Don't spread false information.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

This is the fact I shared from the locals residing there. I do not have whats app nor I tow that. And by the way I am not here to spread false information.
    K Mohan

• Sign In to post your comments