You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Unbridled migration, is it the reason for the slow demise of the charm and vibrancy of our cities?

Anyone who has spent a couple of decades would understand what I mean. I've grown up in a city where it would be beautiful to walk around, play in large playgrounds with gardens & shady trees, an evening stroll in tree-lined avenues. Bangalore, was once called the Garden City. Slowly, it's transformed into a concrete jungle wherein people from all religions and walks of life get together to literally fight to save a small park or a small lake in their neighbourhoods for the sake of their old city and their future generation.

I chose migration because, this triggers a competition and rapid growth in all areas that cities cannot cope up, finally ending up as a concrete jungle with a proud past, lost forever.

Learned members, please share your views.
    It is true in many cases. I was working in Hindupur during 1986 to1988. Hindupur is near to Bangalore. I was having an ambassador car and I used to travel with my wife from Hindupur to Bangalore to look around the city. Those days the city was full of greenery. Very wide roads, good parks, less traffic. I used to like that place very much. Really it was looking like the city of gardens. In 1988 I had shifted from that place to Hyderabad. But I was visiting Bangalore regularly for official works. There is a sea change, The atmosphere is also completely changed. But this is not the only city which is changed like this. Many cities are getting busy like this. The main reason for this is the concentration of all the employment chances in cities. In the villages, there is no employment potential and people are migrating to cities. So to avoid this the industrialisation should get decentralised and development in a single place is to be stopped.
    drrao
    always confident

I blame the government at the helm of affairs which is supposed to manage keeping in mind the buffer place for healthy oxygen and thus they should not disturb the greenery and pave way for developments with concrete. What I invariably observed even in my state that when ever a new colony is formed the Municipal authorities insists that garden space may be left and then only layout sanction would be provided. Once the garden space is registered in favor of civic authorities, then the local MLA and MP would plan for the worst. Instead of park, they plan some concrete building like community hall or some marriage hall and even some government office of no importance and thus the colony has been denied of green space for ever. So I blame the rulers here who always look out for ways and means to earn even at the cost of negating ecological requirements.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

People migrate to bigger cities for better prospects – better jobs for themselves and better education for their kids. Migration happens for a reason. If small towns have the same opportunities we'd not have such an influx of people in major cities.

Let's not forget that people in big cities stand to gain too, they may lose out on the open spaces, but they gain in other ways. Man has throughout history settled where opportunities were present, be it by the banks of fertile rivers or in metros. People continue to live in concrete jungles even when they have the option to move into the countryside. The thing is no one wants to give away the benefits that come with city life.

The colonization's in bigger cities continue to grow because of this. We have a choice to prioritise things in our lives. We crib about the lack of open spaces and green cover but refuse to shift to places where the same are present, even if there are job opportunities available there.

I think everyone has a right to reside where they want to, citizens cannot be restrained.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments