You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to be attentive in class? forgetting your prior knowledge of subject.

Many time it happens that we are much aware about the subject teacher is teaching and this hinders our understanding more because we believe that we know these things already or sometimes we even are overconfident our methods are better than what the teacher is teaching what should you do in such situation?
    I saw a movie " The forgotten kingdom" in which a student keep bothering his kung fu teacher because he has studied too much about it but didn't know how to perform it actually? but still, keep bothering teacher what should be the right method to teach. So his teacher asks him that if he wants to learn he needs to empty his bowl (which is his preconceived knowledge to accept new) So I want to ask that how to empty this bowl of ours of preconceived knowledge and concept.
    And study with a calm mind without any prejudgment and preconceived knowledge.
    I face this problem daily. So what I do is this-
    Take in a deep breath. Think that the teacher is reaching you the things you know from his/her perspective. Then you wont deny or defy your teacher's methods.
    Then, feign attention. Attention and confidence are both addicting and contagious.
    If you fake concentration, you'll eventually concentrate for real.
    Or take just one thing you like about the subject.
    For an instance, I really like pistons in thermodynamics. So I wait for the mention of it. If it is not mentioned, I correlate what I was taught with pistons. In my case,let's say adiabatic process where the heat supplied is constant. So I'll remember that I should keep my piston at the rest and insulated.
    So it doesn't matter if I don't understand the teacher's perspective because I can draw my own perspective.
    If you still can't concentrate, replace your talent with will. Remember someone very dear to you and imagine how badly they'd want you to succeed.
    That alone will give you will power lasting for days.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Generally, this happens to students we go to a tuition. In the tuition, we start learning fast and generally we cover the course before the teacher actually teaches the class. If your tuition is the same teacher who teaches you in the class there will not be any problem. He will not bother you much. You also need not worry much because what method he taught in the tuition, he will be repeating in the school. But if both are different, there may be some problem. The methods may change, the content may change. The best course of action is to hear the teacher very carefully and understand the difference in the two methods. Then your knowledge will improve. Otherwise, don't listen the class and go on studying the notes what you have prepared and if the teacher asks you any question you can answer as per your knowledge. Sometimes the methods may completely differ. In such case, it is better to follow the simple way which is easy to remember.
    drrao
    always confident

Its a reality, to learn new things we need to unlearn things. If not we will never be able to grasp or understand the things that have been taught to us.

Being a child it's easier to mold, but as he grows older, his ability to learn new things decreases due to the things which he has already learned.

During my TESOL training, my instructor would always tell us this phrase, "Since childhood there are many things that we have learned in the wrong way, so to learn new things we need to unlearn them first if not we can never be learners."

If pride is there in your heart that "I know everything and the person who is teaching me is dumb", we will fall in our own knowledge pit as we will never learn anything new due to our pride. The gates of knowledge will be closed.

I face this problem daily. So what I do is this-
    Take in a deep breath. Think that the teacher is reaching you the things you know from his/her perspective. Then you wont deny or defy your teacher's methods.
    Then, feign attention. Attention and confidence are both addicting and contagious.
    If you fake concentration, you'll eventually concentrate for real.
    Or take just one thing you like about the subject.
    For an instance, I really like pistons in thermodynamics. So I wait for the mention of it. If it is not mentioned, I correlate what I was taught with pistons. In my case,let's say adiabatic process where the heat supplied is constant. So I'll remember that I should keep my piston at the rest and insulated.
    So it doesn't matter if I don't understand the teacher's perspective because I can draw my own perspective.
    If you still can't concentrate, replace your talent with will. Remember someone very dear to you and imagine how badly they'd want you to succeed.
    That alone will give you will power lasting for days.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

How can one forget the prior knowledge(entry behaviour) when the subject is developed in a systematic manner building over the knowledge already imparted? The teaching is always aimed at an average student. It becomes necessary to repeat twice or thrice to make them understand. The brilliant students, very few in number, may feel uninterested. At times this overconfidence may result in lagging behind. When one is pursuing postgraduate level and above, the teacher acts as a guide to enable the student to learn by himself.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

As Alvin Toffler and Ms. Neethu (#613812) said: "Learn, Un-learn, Re-learn''. But this theory of Toffler won't work for the purpose of examination.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I think this thread has two issues at hand.
    First, the average human being with an average brain is said to push old, unused memories to make way for new memories. This is sometimes helpful as our reaction to something can be modulated if we have an answer in memory from our previous experience. But some experiences that affect us profoundly will be in memory for years.
    Second, learning things the right way, lot of things can be learnt by us by trial and error but the same will be taught in a methodical fashion by professionals so that the outcome is better. During world war 2, Britain got many daring pilots from Africa (Bush pilots), these were fearless men who would do extra-ordinary things but not always in the interest of the royal air force (RAF), so the air ministry had a though time in getting these experts to unlearn some of their past and to learn flying the RAF way.

It is the express duty of every student to be attentive in class. For that there is a simple idea. Before going to that particular class, you have the idea of what portion would be taught today. Just glance that page and pick up certain important observations and mentions made there. Remember that and enter the class with confidence. Surely during the course of teaching, the teacher would pose the question and you are at the advantage side to respond immediately as you have already gone through the portion just now. This process has been taught to our children from their young age and pre primary class and both my son and daughter were excellent in that. By preparing advance in the portion, you are not only getting highlighted in the class and also you wont get bored as the subject taught would be further deeply understood and remembered.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments