You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Foreign Affairs

What do emergence of Populist leaders across world suggest?

Donald Trump of United States, Xi Xingping of China, Vladmir Putin of Russia, Narendra Modi of India, Shenzo Abe of Japan. These leaders of respective nations have no doubt emerged as all popular leaders of respective countries. Though they stand for different socio political economic systems all these leaders have certain characteristics in common.
    1. Exceptional nationalism with sometimes speeches threatening their adversaries.
    2. Almost most dissenting leaders have been silenced by campaign, coercion etc.
    3. Protection of Mainstream culture alone.
    4. Technocratic in their way of functioning.
    5. Aggressive foreign policy.
    6. Evoking strong emotions among masses.
    4. Dominant control in their respective parties if not complete.
    They have captured power after a similar set of conditions in their respective countries.
    1. Recession.
    2. People's desire to have strong leader.
    A similar situation existed in 1933 before leaders like Hitler, Winston Churchill, Mussolini, Stalin, Roosevelt came to power in Super powers of those times.
    Even in solutions to problems they have similarities
    1. Aggressive modernization.
    2.Trade protectionism by Currency wars, coming out of trade pacts, etc.
    3. Increasing state control.

Can members see the things as above. If so does a repeat of 1933 is happening in Politico Socio economic conditions?
    I am not in agreement with the author's view that 1933 may get repeated. Actually, my reading is no one is ready for a confrontation. All the leaders want their country to progress. As mentioned by the author there are many common characteristics in the popular leaders of the present era. But all of them are talking about their country progress only. Nobody is interested in grabbing power from other countries. But everyone wants their country to be on the top. This a healthy competition I think. They all know that any destructive act at this juncture will spoil the chances of their country progress. So I feel that there will not be a repetition of 1933. Those leaders at the time were trying to gain influence on other countries and many of them wanted other countries to be under their rule. That had created the problem at that time. But the present day concept is different.
    drrao
    always confident

Response to #613905
    I completely agree to the view that no country presently wants a war with any other country even on a minor scale. I am limiting this thread to the Socio Economic and Poltical conditions alone in their respective domestic countries and not a war.
    I completely agree that no leader wants a war in future. Here I am referring to the totalitarian regimes of 1933-1938 in major powers of the world.
    For eg. See the difference in rhetoric between Donald Trump and Obama, Xi Xingping and Hu Jintao, Narendra Modi vs Man Mohan Singh. Let us see some of their policies.
    1. US has come out of trade pacts, increased rhetoric over North Korea, come out of climate change, Iran Nuclear deal reversal.
    2. China has defied UN court in south China Sea, has been aggressive with India.
    3.India has increased cross border operations with Pakistan.
    4. Japan has for the first time since WWII has declared that Japanese forces will be used in International conflict not involving Japan.

And even in 1933 Hitler, Roosevelt, Stalin, Churchill, Mussolini came to power promising Jobs, increased standard of living, extreme nationalism after popular elections under a democratic Set up.

We live in democracy. In Indian democracy, there has been atendency to unify the minority votes and disintegrate majority votes on the basis of caste. However, with the spread of education, the tendency is being checked. Majority community is no longer falling in the trap of the dirty game of casteism. So, this new trend of comparing the present world with the world-order of 1933 has started. We are trying to compare Trump (who has been elected despite severe opposition from so-called intellectuals), Modi and Putin with Hitlar, Tojo and Mussolini.

I do know that the present world order can't be compared with the world-order of 1933. The situation during the pre-WWII was due to a highly discriminatory Treaty of Verssailes. There is no such treaty now. Moreover, Trump, Putin, Modi, Abe and other popular leaders know very well that in present day it is not possible to occupy foreign land, unlike the view of Hitler, Tojo or Mussolini. People who have elected the present leaders won't fall in the trap of so-called intellectuals.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Friends
    The intent of the thread is to raise a general discussion over populist leaders and their policies. Of course Totalitairanism is just one of the possibility. We can discuss on Advantages and Disadvantages of having populist leaders. How populist leaders compare with consensus based leaders like their predecessors and so on. A broader discussion can take place

One key fact is that these leaders are trying hard to get their country well poised on the global platform wherein others understand that these leaders and their countries are not pushovers.
    Maybe, now and then we need such Populist leaders in our countries interspersed with the regular good but conventional leaders who are happy the way things are and maintain status quo. There is a small risk that these populist leaders can have shades of dominant/dictator like traits. Interestingly, there are many articles that argue that Iraq was better off with Saddam in power. Likewise many feel Pakistan was relatively better off with Zia-ul Haq compared to the current state of affairs.

• Sign In to post your comments