You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

RIP! Dina Wadia has passed away

She was born on 15th August, 1919 in London. Her father was Mohammad Ali Jinnah, who later created Pakistan. Her mother was from two very famous Parsi families, Petit and Tata. Her mother, Rati (Rattanbai) Petit married Jinnah against the wish of her family. Rati Petit didn't survive long after the unhappy marriage but gave birth to a daughter.

The daughter of Jinnah, after growing up, married in the very famous Wadia family of Bombay (now Mumbai), against the wish of her father, Mohammad Ali Jinnah. Her son is Nusli Wadia, the famous industrialist. The daughter of the founder of Pakistan never visited that country after her father's death except in 2004 during India-Pakistan Friendship Cricket Series.

The only daughter of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Dina Wadia, passed away in London (her place of birth) yesterday at an age of 98.

An era has ended!
    Very sad to know that daughter of Mohd Ali Jinnah, Dina wadia has died . It would sad moment for the family as loosing a daughter would be more painful for the parents and others .
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

May she rest in peace. I was not aware of her industrialist son, heard the name but did not make the connection till now. Another legacy of partition. Her father was the architect of our neighbour, Pakistan who was once part of the same land, her son is now a prominent businessman in India and she once made an exception to visit Pakistan for a friendly cricket match. Similarly in more than one way we are also tied to our neighbour isn't it?

Never knew this history. Nice to see a great lady lived upto 98 and left the world. RIP Dina Wadia.

@ Mohan: How losing of Dina Wadia (98)would be more painful to her parents? Ridiculous response.

No life without Sun

Informative thread. Didn't know about Dina Wadia and the family of Mohammed Ali Jinnah before. Thank you for sharing it.

May Dina Wadia's souls rest in peace.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

As usual, the story is very well narrated. My salutations to Partha for his excellent skills in writing. I wish him all the best. It is good to note that the lady lived for 98 years. Now only I came to know that the only daughter of Jinnah married Wadia.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao: When she announced her intended marriage with Neville Wadia, Jinnah was very angry. He said: "There are millions of Muslim boys in India, is he the only one you were waiting for?" She replied: "There were millions of Muslim girls in India, why did you marry my mother then?"

After her marriage with Neville Wadia, Jinnah always used to address her as Mrs. Wadia.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments