Another flood in Chennai-what should the residents do?After 2015, Chennai has again been submerged in water. The weather forecast indicates more rain in Chennai for at least another 48 hours. Most of the areas of the city have been submerged in rain. Here, I am providing some basic guidelines for the residents of the city. This is applicable for urban flood in other cities also:-
A. Dos and Donts before the flood
1. Do not litter waste, plastic bags, plastic bottles in drains
2. Listen to weather forecast at All India Radio, DD.
3. Evacuate low lying areas and shift to safer places.
4. Make sure that each person has lantern, torch, some edibles, drinking water, dry clothes and necessary documents while evacuating.
5. carry your identity card.
6. Put all valuables at a higher place in the house.
B. Dos and Donts during the flood
1. Obey orders of the Government and shift to a safer place.
2. Switch of electrical supply and don't touch open wires.
3. Don't get affected by rumours and don't spread rumours.
4. Switch off electrical and gas appliances, and turn off services off at the mains.
5. Carry your emergency kit and inform your whereabouts to your friends/family members.
6. Avoid contact with flood water it may be contaminated with sewage,oil,chemicals or other harmful substances.
7. Stay away from power lines electrical current can travel through water, Report power lines that are down to the power company.
8. Look before you step-after a flood.
9. Listen to the radio or television for updates and information.
10. If the ceiling is wet shut off electricity.
11. Don't walk/swim/drive through flowing water.
12. Don't eat any food which has come into contact with flood water.
C. Dos and Donts after the flood
1. Don't leave the Government shelter without specific direction from the Government.
2. Be very careful about drinking water. Water-borne diseases are spread by contaminated water.
3. Be careful about snakes and other animals after the flood.
Finally, always stay safe. Help your neighbours after ensuring safety of your family-members.