Let's learn about our neighbours: Now it's the turn of Sri LankaWe have already covered Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar and Maldives. Now it's time to know about Sri Lanka. We all know that we have very close relationship with the beautiful island-country since the ancient period. Now let us know about some amazing facts about Sri Lanka.
1. Sri Lanka is also known as 'Pearl of Indian Ocean' and 'Teardrop of India'.
2. Sri Lanka has the highest literacy rate in entire South Asia. As per last census held in 2010, the literacy rate of this not-so-small country is 98.1%. Sri Lanka is also very advanced as per other socio-economic indicators.
3. Adam's peak is the most sacred mountain of the country. People following all four major religions (Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and Christians) find this peak very sacred.
4. Although Sri Lanka is well-known for Asiatic elephants, the National animal of the country is lion.
5. Sri Lankan flag is one of the oldest National flags of the world. It represents all three major religions (Buddhism, Hindusim and Islam) practised in the country. It also contains the image of a lion, the National animal of the country.
6. Not only Darjeeling or Assam tea, Sri Lankan tea is also very famous all over the world. Sri Lanka earns a considerable revenue by exporting famous 'Ceylon Tea'.
7. Sri Lanka largely depends upon hydro-electricity. The country, in fact, discourages setting up of thermal power stations.
8. What is the National sports of Sri Lanka? No, it is not cricket. Don't be astonished! Volleyball is the National sports of the country.
9. Cinnamon is known and loved around the world. It is now used as a spice in food of every continent. Cinnamon has originated from this beautiful island-country.
10. When Sri Lankans say 'yes', they don't nod their heads up and down. Heads are moved from side to side to indicate 'yes'. Don't take it as 'No'.
Visit this beautiful country at least once. You will be rejuvenated.