You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A peculiar question comes to my mind

Since my childhood I am very weak in Geography. I was afraid of this subject; especially Physical Geography was a terror for me. Moreover, our Geography teacher was almost a 'terrorist' for weak students like me. However, I must admit that I got unexpectedly good marks in Geography in the Xth Board examination due to our Geography teacher's '90% suggestion'. I will discuss that later.

Due to my terrible relationship with Geography and Geography teacher, I did not dare to ask any question in Geography class. There were some questions in my mind (related to Geography), most of which have remained unanswered. I want to ask one such question.

All of us know that Indian maritime boundary is formed by the Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea. The Bay of Bengal is in the eastern side of our maritime boundary, whereas Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea man the southern side and western side of the maritime boundary of India, respectively, respectively.

But my question is: How do we differentiate the Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea? How do we understand that the Bay of Bengal ends at this point and Indian Ocean starts from this particular place? Similarly, how can we demarcate the border between Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea?

Can any Member explain the matter to me in layman's language?
    I believe it the separation is calculated by the nautical mile. So much nautical mile will be for a particular sea and beyond that point will be the other. It is just my guess.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Yes, nautical miles too but oceans and seas are noted through the coasts nearby.
    Like south China sea or Adriatic sea or Arabian sea.
    Kanyakumari separates the waters into two.
    Right to Kanyakumari there is bay of Bengal and left is Arabian sea, both are parts of Indian ocean.
    Navigation in seas is very different and difficult. It is a haze of latitudes,longitude and landmarks.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

sometimes where the seas meet there is a color or a temperature difference, but most of the marking is done based on the landmarks denoted by the latitude and longitudes. let's see if there are any better answers.

Yes, nautical miles too but oceans and seas are noted through the coasts nearby.
    Like south China sea or Adriatic sea or Arabian sea.
    Kanyakumari separates the waters into two.
    Right to Kanyakumari there is bay of Bengal and left is Arabian sea, both are parts of Indian ocean.
    Navigation in seas is very different and difficult. It is a haze of latitudes,longitude and landmarks.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

If you go to Danushkoti in Tamil Nadu, the three ocean namely Arabian sea, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal would merge there and the colors are also different. I have not gone but those who had been there has told me. Like in Allahabad three rivers namely Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswathi joins at the bathing ghat which called Triveni Sangham, here also three ocean mingle. And I believe Sri Lanka is just 15 kms from that point and during night one can see far off Sri Lanka illuminated with various lights. Those who are working in Navy can explain the authors question with further details.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We have named the oceans and sea, but we have not marked their boundaries at sea. Taking India with Bay of Bengal, Arabian sea and Indian Ocean, we can stand at the southern tip of Kanyakumari and see all the three seas/ocean. The sea on the south -Indian Ocean, the sea to the left - Bay of Bengal, the sea to the right - Arabian sea. Ocean is large and the sea is small. Certain seas are part of the ocean. Bay of Bengal and Arabian sea are part of Indian ocean. In general, the navigators at sea use only the longitude and latitude to mark their position. The terminology/name of the sea is not used.

Bay of Bengal and Arabian sea don't come under the list of seven seas of the world.

No life without Sun

Indian ocean is one which going completely to our south and it has not expanded towards our east or west. The Bay of Bengal is our eastern side and the Arabian Sea is on the west side. Both of them are joining in Indian ocean at Kanyakumari. Somewhere I remember that the boundaries of the seas are calculated by nautical miles. But I have no further idea on this issue.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments