You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Promotion should be based on seniority

Should seniority alone be considered for a promotion? What are the other primary and secondary aspects which need to be factored in, when considering a promotion? List the aspects and justify the need for them.

I think promotions should be given based on seniority as it does not look good if you are promoting a junior employee when the older employee is still doing the same job for the same pay. It demotivates the existing employees and people will think the promotion is given based on personal preferences.

At times promotions may be given based on talents and abilities and that might be a welcome move as even the co-workers know that the other person is extraordinarily talented. But in some cases, certain employees just promote employees thinking that they perform well just based on their extrovert nature and mingling skills. Are these factors to be considered for a promotion or should it be done on the basis of seniority so that every person gets a chance to be promoted.

Members, share your views.
    I would like to slightly disagree over here, promotion should not be solely based on seniority, while seniority can be one of the factors to be considered for promotion. If the junior is exceptionally talented and has shown skills apt for promotion then definitely he/she should be promoted, provided they have confidence in him.

Promotion should never be based on personal preference but if the candidate deserves and is a promising person, then seniority should never be an obstacle.

I don't think so, seniority is not the just mere accumulation of chronological years sitting at a desk. But unfortunately, this is true in many cases. Seniority as a guide to promotions should include a contribution, commitment, awareness of the status of the company, sounds ideas about work pattern and future direction, actively participating in grooming the second rung of leaders and the image of the company. Young fresh talent can be given trail run and be guided by some senior members. One more type of promotions is in turn on the rotation basis, there are many subsets in the health sector wherein the top slot is changed in a rotation.
    What would be sad is a deserving candidate being sidelined for his lack of contacts, lack of pull and money.

No, I don't agree. Seniority is nothing but accumulation of service days. It signifies experience but not competence. I feel that equal weightage must be given to seniority (i.e., experience) and competence for promotion. Then again another problem comes. How do we measure competence? Annual Confidential Report (ACR) system is woefully inadequate to measure competence. HR experts are trying to find answer to this question (how to measure competence), but till date the findings are not conclusive.

So, the promotion will always cause debate. No escape from this. This is applicable in every organisation. Last year's selection of Army Chief is a very well-known example of such debate regarding promotion.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

In an organization junior and senior employee status does not matter when it comes to performance. reaching their expected target and awarding promotions. I have seen in many case that a new employee who are given with fresher training has been given additional responsibility with promotion immediately after three months of his taking as regular employee. May be the management want to have second in command against those employees whose works are important and that should not suffer even for one day when the particular employee is absent. When I was in Delhi and when I joined a famous jeans company at the age of just 18, the employees were of 30 plus ages and I was only young. Of course those in administration sections were young. Naturally younger employees are given more tasks and they would finish with fineness and hence got awards , rewards and promotions much to the annoy of seniors.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think government organisation will go for promotions basing on the seniority only. There much importance will not be given to performance and hard work. That is many people lose interest in their work. But in private organisations mere seniority will not help in getting promotions. There will be a good performance appraisal will be there in place. Every employee in the year beginning will decide Key Result Areas and will be mentioning the targets in those areas and will have the approval of the concerned senior employees. At regular intervals, the progress will be reviewed and at the end of the year, the persons will be ranked basin on the achieved percentages in the KRAs. The highest achievers will be considered for promotions if a vacancy exists and rate of increments will be decided based on their achievements.
    drrao
    always confident

Not only seniority, talent and having very good skills also play a very important role in getting promotions. As Neethu has pointed out, if any junior is performing extremely well from their senior, then he will have a higher chances of getting promoted.

While I would agree with you here, that if somebody is just an extrovert and not actually working good, such people do not deserve to be promoted. A regular hard worker deserves a good role here.

Do what inspires you !!

Unfortunately in many places, skills, commitment or talent often takes a back seat because of seniority, There will be some employees who would be very good to be promoted or give an raise but since they are junior, they will have to wait for their turn.

This is the most common and most controversial subject being discussed time and again in the corridors of Govt as well as private organisations.

What is seniority? Just by sitting in office and doing the minimum work reluctantly and cursing the system as inefficient and useless one day a person becomes senior and claims the higher post. In fact he was even not capable of the post he was working what to say of the higher post. The question is should we just promote a person because he is senior. If so IAS exam is not required because you are making a 24 year young person to sit over the heads of so many experienced and senior people. MBA is also not required.

There should be some line of demarcation between the inefficient and efficient and if it is not there the system will collapse.

Merit is much more important than seniority.

Knowledge is power.

Simply agreeing or disagreeing should not be there. Whether in work place or other the promotion should initially by seniority but if there is no person in senior level next level to be considered. Interim promotion considering special qualification & outer experience can be given by rules.

I think the basic criteria for promotion is always seniority. All other aspects that are taken into consideration are secondary but are nevertheless important. Knowledge, commitment, competence, ability, sincerity, dedication, discipline (personal as well as official), obedience, responsibility, leadership qualities, medical fitness and so many other factors, including remaining period of service, do form part of the list of qualities that are taken into consideration while assessing a person for promotion. Seniority will take a backstage only when a person otherwise eligible is found lacking in some of the vital qualities, a few of which I have mentioned above. The points I have stated may be primarily applicable to those working in the government sector only but I don't think even the private sector can deviate much from those basic principles. Even in such case where a junior is to be promoted ahead of his senior, the senior is given a notice and is given an opportunity either to continue or to leave his job (if I am not wrong). This is done so as to make the continuance of the senior below his junior a voluntary affair though such a promotion will in all probability affect the moral of the senior who is superseded.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

The preferable one is promotion on seniority-cum-merit basis. Promotion purely on seniority can bring in dead wood also sometimes.

Promotion based only on merit can hurt loyalty and those who stood with the organisation in its difficulty also. Those who are having merit will be always on the lookout to quit as they may be expecting and demanding more always

Many positions need the maturity of age and experience too to visualise problems and prevent or solve issues.

So large organisation will have two channels of filling higher level positions: a certain percentage of vacancies is filled by direct appointment or promoting extra ordinary merited juniors; and second by promotion based on seniority. Both will have some minimum eligibility requirements.

It perhaps should be based on all round observation and consideration. For instance, if a junior inhibits generative skills and performance and still lack work etiquette, then it may hamper still the potential of the firm/company in the long term. And if a person is promoted simply because of his seniority, without his competent skills and aptitudes, what still good will it be. The conclusion here could be, if a senior has worked too long and has acquired certain experiences in executing tasks efficiently but however lag behind a newbie, who is dynamic but lack decency and sense of etiquette, based on their edges, one may be promoted to a certain field of area where each displays expertise, instead of assigning for sake without any foresight.

• Sign In to post your comments