You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The people in our peripheral vision - did you say thanks to them?

We know and notice many people in our peripheral vision who help us in one way or the other in our day to day life. But do we acknowledge their efforts? Have we ever thought of thanking them (not just as a formality) for what they do? Join this discussion and share your thoughts. Let us acknowledge the services of such souls through this thread.

We interact with a lot of people in our daily life, primarily our family members, our friends, our workplace colleagues, our neighbours, etc. When we receive some help from them, we invariable give them thanks.

What about the people who do the little things and whom we take for granted, who are sort of in our peripheral vision, just there, but unacknowledged directly. For example: a retail store salesman who will come out from behind the counter to offer you a chair; the staff in a restaurant who fetches an extra chair to keep your bags so that you will be comfortable; the office peon who brings your daily cup of tea; the young lady who helps you find the product you are searching for in the supermarket; the doorman who helps you up the steps and holds the door open for you outside the garments showroom....there are so many such people. Do you thank them?

It may be part of their job, but they are doing it responsibly and well. Acknowledge them directly with eye contact & a thanks each time you get their service, not just consider them as part of the general surroundings, only in your peripheral vision.
    Many times we will be taking the help of various people for our works. In some places some people voluntarily they offer some service to us either as a part of their job or an extra feature of their routine job. For example, when we go and eat in a restaurant and come out, the doorkeeper at the entrance will open the door and salute us. But many people don't even acknowledge his wish. Some people just take some coins from his pocket and gives him. But I personally reciprocate the wish to him and then offer him some tip. The doorkeeper will be more than happy when you reciprocate his salute. So I always prefer to do that. In our area, there is Gurkha who takes care of the colony in the night. He will be making rounds throughout the night. He will be whistling and beating the ground with the stick to inform the people that he is taking rounds. Each house will pay him Rs.25/- per month. There are about 500 houses in the colony. So he will be getting about rs.12,500/-. Whenever I see him he will salute me. I feel guilty that what we are paying is just Rs.25/- for which he respects us so much. So every time I meet him I will offer him Rs.20/- and ask him to have tea. He feels very happy for that. I always acknowledge and reciprocate the people who are serving us and I will try to help them within my capacity.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao,

You could also tell the Gurkha to stop saluting you, that it is not required.

I also think it is good to know the name of the person who gives the type of services brought out in this thread. That way we can address them by their name and not by the work they do. Thus, for example, instead of asking, "Where is the peon?" we could ask "Where is Paresh?" or shouting, "Gurkha!" and summoning him in a peremptory fashion, we could say "Mishraji, please come here." (in his regional language if required.)

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Yes, if I notice such gracious extra services, I definitely thank them with an acknowledging smile. However when we are a regular in such places we naturally become more familiar and it becomes a friendly gesture.

The person who extends his hand when you get into a bu/train which has just started to move, a person who picks up and gives you the coin which fell from your pocket or purse, driver of another vehicle suggesting you take an alternate route as this way is blocked ahead, a co-passenger or official telling you a quicker or more convenient alternative to reach a destination; there are any number of such people who help and guide us or serve us without expecting any return. Though a simple and sincere thanks is what we offer them then,in my case I still remember some them who gave timely help and guidance on some very important, difficult or unique situations.

When ever I enter a shop, I would wish the workers first and then the owner. I know the dignity of the labor and hence I wont miss the chance to meet the workers first and then others.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A very nice thread. We are always so occupied and busy in ourselves that we forget that there are people who help us in our day to day life and we even forget to notice their help and we do not even recognize their efforts. We should always find time to say thanks for whatever work they do. This not only gives them happiness but also they will feel respected and honored. I have a habit of wishing our security guard uncle whenever I enter my office and also to the maid aunties. They always reply back with a smile and say, "Madam, there are very fewer people who ask about us, how we are and our households." So, it is a very nice gesture.
    Do what inspires you !!

Those in our peripheral vision often goes unnoticed because most of us assume that these people are paid for doing their jobs so, why acknowledge them.Sometime back there was a video of a family having food with the child's maid or child minder standing next to them. This is because many of us take it for granted that these people are below par for us to interact.Sometimes, the person holding the door or opening our car door or shutting it expects a tip, this puts off some people (we are happy to tip 50-100 ruppees in an upscale resturant but donot have 10 ruppees to give it to the poor oldman who smiles after gently closing the car door).
    There is no harm in acknowledging the office boy who brings us tea, the staff who cleans our office or home, the parking attendant at the parking lot who guides our vehicle out.Some of them are difficult characters but most are good natured people who work for a meager salary, returning their gesture makes them feel happy and in a few minutes you have made his day more relevant. Giving them a small tip is entirely voluntary but acknowledging their presence makes us more human.

Frankly speaking, we miss this courtesy many a time . There could be many reasons, the prime one being our hurried activities and their services go unnoticed. On the other hand, many of such people are habituated to tips and for example the security staff who wish to care those people who appear to be hi-fi. Yes, seriously speaking, when I go by a car, I am allowed free to enter the main gate of the colony and my credentials are verified, if I go by a two wheeler or by walk.

Anyway, its a good thread initiated by the author and we should respect those who do good services for us directly or indirectly.

Regards,
    Jagdish

A good thread.
    Yes we are not acknowledging their efforts. This may be due to our hectic life.
    But, one thing I can say that my son always say 'Thank you' to the Swiggy man bringing order from restaurant!!

To add in the list, during the long time travelling some people offer their help voluntarily in getting food items or any other items needed from a different platform of a railway station.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

• Sign In to post your comments