You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Only a good Hindi speaker can learn English easily and fast. Do you agree?

Do you think learning Hindi properly would help one to learn English too equally well? Is there any connection really between the two languages? Interesting theories have sprung up here!

A guy who speaks Hindi purely can learn English efficiently. If someone wants to learn English through Hindi. first he must have to speak Hindi in a formal and proper way, like we hear Hindi speeches of our Prime Minister who speaks Hindi in a proper way or formally. If Hindi is not proper or informal then how It will be converted to English? There are many Hindi words which we do not use to speak in daily routine. Many people got habit to speak and pronounce Hindi words in an informal way like example: Formal "Muje kya karna", Informal: "Meko kya karna". So I think It is necessary first to speak Hindi in a formal way, then it is easy to learn English through Hindi.
    I wont agree with the author's perception that only good Hindi language speaker can also have good knowledge about English. There is no connection between Hindi and English. Hindi is our national language and English is the International language. While Hindi can be learned from the kid stage itself by virtue of elders conversation with the child , English is slowly exposed to the child from kinder garten stage and from there some would become qualified and great in that language and many fail to have interest and thus for them English learning is the big nuisance. One more thing English is such a language, if one goes on practicing it on daily basis , he or she would master it in due course of time. Our Prime Minister Narender Modi is the great orator and even his Independent day speech was natural without printed matter and thus he need not take the help of Hindi in between. But he would say to convey better.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

You are talking about our PM, his Hindi and English. Do you know our PM cannot orate in English without a script in hand like he orates in Hindi without any script. Your perception is wrong. Even a butler can speak good English and fast English. It is the experience that helps to improve our speaking or writing ability. I am sure, most ISCians may not have fluency in English speaking but good at writing only.
    No life without Sun

I think this logic is not correct. There is no relation between your knowledge about Hindi and other languages.I am a Telugu man. My mother tongue is Telugu. I know English and Hindi. But my knowledge in English is better than my Hindi. So I am not able to accept the concept. Our PM is a very good orator in both Hindi and English. As PM when he speaks all his speeches will be prepared well in advance. But in many other gatherings he can speak extempore on any subject both in English and Hindi. For the people whose mother. Tongue is Hindi they may learn English through Hindi. But there is no rule that all people should learn English through Hindi only.
    drrao
    always confident

I do not agree with what the author is saying. Clearly, there is no connection between Hindi and English. Anyone can learn English through their mother tongue and not necessarily through Hindi. There are so many people who speak a very fluent English without the knowledge of Hindi.

I don't agree. There is no relationship between Hindi and English. English is from a totally different class of languages. Knowing good Hindi does not have any effect in learning English.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

The contention of the post by the thread author is not understood by me.
    Does he want to say that for those people who belong to hindi speaking areas first they should learn good hindi then only try to learn English or he has generalized it for whole of India.
    If he is generalizing it for all it is a impractical and strange proposition. As it will mean that a person well versed in tamil language has to first learn good hindi and only then learn good english.
    It is ridiculous.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I don't agree to the author at all. English is a western language and Hindi is an Indian language. So how will there be connection between both. My English is 10 times better than my Hindi. Also, I didn't learn English through Hindi. I don't understand what the author is intending to say here.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

As mentioned in the responses above, there is no relation between Hindi speaking and English speaking. There are individuals who can speak in his mother tongue fluently and attracting the attention of others. But the same person may not be showing this ability if another language is the medium. In India there are several languages and thousands or more people speaking each of them. At the same time you can see many among them speaking good English irrespective of their mother tongue. This clearly shows that Hindi has nothing to do with English speaking.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Any language can easily be learnt by any person if interest is there to learn and in some cases situation forces one to learn a language. Once I planned to go to to Chottanikara temple from Enaku lam. (I know malayalam only to speak and frequently visited Ernakulam on office work) I found all buses were written in malayalam and decided to learn malayalam to read and write and within a month's gap I learned and during my next trip, I went to Chottanikara. So, if there is an intention one can learn any language at any time.

The basic concept of learning a new language by translation is faulty.

One cannot learn a new language like that. One has to think in the language to learn it. I learnt that when I was learning German during my college days. We were not allowed to speak any other language than German inside our classrooms from day one.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

That is not correct. Learning a language is not dependent upon how it is being translated. Hindi and English are both different languages. Learning a language all depends upon practice.
    In your example : Formal "Muje kya karna" Informal: "Meko kya karna".
    In the first line, Hindi is correct and nothing is wrong. While in your second sentence, the word "meko" - is not an appropriate word, if I talk about Hindi. In fact I would say, there is no such word in Hindi dictionary. People these days have spoiled the Hindi language as well. And they are twisting the words like anything. Because many people today do not know how to speak Hindi properly, they just stretch, twist and speak it the way they understand.
    So, what we speak and what we write are completely different.

Do what inspires you !!

You know what...I'll not disagree with you completely like others because I know better.
    Both Hindi and English has a common ancestor: Sanskrit.
    That means there are many similar words in both languages.
    But again, all Indian languages have Sanskrit influence in them. Wouldn't that mean that even a tamilian can speak good English?
    You'll be astonished to know that all south Indian states rank higher among the best English speaking states.
    I won't say it is easy for a Hindi speaker to speak English, but its easier for him to understand maybe.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Learning a language depends on the aptitude and sometimes pre-conditioning helps. Commonly we learn our mother tongue by listening and speaking to our parents, family members and the rest of people around us. Some learn by reading, scanning papers,listening to TV or radio programs, words, phrases are embedded into our memory, this is known as 'Incidental learning'. Moving on, Once we learn't langue 1, we tune our own strategies that work very well for us for the language 2. If you know more than 2 languages, then the third becomes easy. This is known as 'Metalinguistic knowledge'.here the brain often compares words and similarities and by the process of positive transfer we use our past knowledge of familiar words and sounds ( sometimes the meaning changes grammatically).
    So based on science knowing any one or preferably two languages help in the learning of the new language.

• Sign In to post your comments