You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Spare time reading: Do you like fact or fiction?

Many of us like to relax when we have a little spare time or just before retiring of the night. Some of us love reading(non-academic and non-professional). Novels or short stories are popular among many people.

There are plenty of subjects - crime, love, thriller, spy, courtroom dramas or fantasy based novels. There are also autobiographies, life experience in careers, wisdom. Som love fiction books, some love fact or real-life stories.

For me, often fiction is the choice as whenever I have little free time, I like to escape from reality and after an hour get back to the real world.

What's your favorite? Why?
    I prefer books on fiction over books on facts, picking up the latter only when I want to educate myself on a topic. I do not read autobiographies or books on self-improvement etc.

I prefer books on crime, the whodunit kind - murder mysteries and detective stories, to be precise. I also like reading thrillers and spy novels. Romantic novels do not interest me, but I must admit that there was a time when I was hooked to Mill & Boons and that my all time favourite book is a romantic novel - The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.

As an adult, I enjoyed the Harry Potter series, as much as I did Alice in Wonderland, as a kid. Then there are the classics, which I think everyone who likes to read, must read.

I have met Jeffery Archer and Wilbur Smith at book signing events, and have pictures with them.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

In my younger days I used to read fiction books more and I used to enjoy those books more. Later on I started reading novels and serials in weeklys. Slowly my habit of reading reduced due to my work pressures. I used to read many articles related to my work on net. Any clarification on work related issues , I used to read related books during my spare time. Still I do that. Now I started reading some spiritual books and our religious books to know more about the old Puranas and histories.But I am not getting much time to spend on this reading. My majority time is going on ISC,Facebook and WhatsApp. My wife always quarrels with to stop working on the laptop and start spending time on reading books like Ramayana,Mahabharata and Bhagavatam. But somehow I am not doing more in that front. I think I should also spare sometime for that. This isabout my spare time book reading habit. My observation is as we grow older our habit of reading will comedown upto a certain age and then again it will pick up.
    drrao
    always confident

I started reading fiction when I started reading Novel that's what made me interested in reading at all so if given choice I prefer fiction but now I am trying to build the habit of reading nonfiction as well with the same interest I read fictional stories and Novel.
    Nonfiction books sometimes seem boring but when we read them with interest it began to look interesting. These days I am reading "The argumentative Indian" which is really good book connecting various points of history, culture and current socio-politics issues with Indians being argumentative and heterodox.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

While on travel, I like to read comic stuffs and simple fiction. At home I read serious stuff also. Nowadays before going to bed, I read the left out pages or columns in the day's morning newspaper.

I can't really sit on one choice when both are equally tempting. I'm a fan of fiction but I'm a worshipper of facts.
    I would rather listen to facts,I.e..; watch documentaries. I'd like to enjoy fiction during travel.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

If at all there is a spare time for me during the day, I shall go for my book worm game which is very interesting as it involves creating more bigger words as the game progress and thus our hold over English vocabulary is show cased there.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Fiction is for entertainment while fact is for mental exercise. Most of the times I prefer fiction. Other times facts are required to answer a query or understand a difficult thing. Such times searching for facts is the only choice whether I like it or not.
    Fiction or fantasy takes us away from the real and practical world to the land of dreams and that is really very very relaxing.
    On the other hand the facts bring us back to the tough and competitive daily routines of our life.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

nice to note that some of us like fiction for travel or to relax, facts for educating ourselves on general topics.

• Sign In to post your comments