You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Foreign Affairs

This is very unfair! Nobody understands their pain

US President, Donald Trump, has just reached Vietnam after visiting Japan and China. In Japan, he talked about co-operation between Japan and the USA to contain North Korea. In China he talked about co-operation between China and the US. But what has he said in Vietnam?

In the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Vietnam, Trump praised Indian democracy and continued: "Since India opened its economy, it has achieved astounding growth and a new world of opportunity for its expanding middle class, and PM Modi has been working to bring that vast country and all of its people together as one, and he's working at it very, very successfully indeed."

What terrible words! PM Modi has been working to bring unity in the vast country and among all of its citizens! After so much negative propaganda for last three and a half years, is this the result?

Who will understand the pain of Indian liberals?
    Partha! From an outsider's perspective India truly has progressed beyond expectations.
    As for internal tensions, there is no country that is truly peaceful.
    But I don't really get it. Is this sarcasm or are you genuinely disheartened by Modi.
    Because I think he's doing a pretty good job besides the mess he's created through his uneventful schemes.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Partha I can understand your pain. Actually all is well with India. Opposition are raking up the issue of Modi failure in every field because they are bound to react negatively, otherwise they wont even get one vote next time. What I fail to understand that when the International leaders are praising PM Modi, why the so called liberals are washing dirty linens of Modi in public ?. This proves that there is no issues with the opposition and PM Modi is on right track to build greater India with multi faceted relations with super powers across the world and thus the prestige of India has been increasing multi fold in recent times.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Partha, being a stamped liberal, let me tell you a fact which I always believe to be true. Let us leave aside why Mr Trump was silent about India in Japan and China and just think about what he said in Vietnam. Believe me, the US is quite happy with the developments in India as on date. Do not get carried away by the praises because they are getting what they expect from a developing nation and is pleased by the fact that with the way this great nation is being maneuvered by Sri Modi and team, their fear of India becoming a super power is finding some relief.

And for the supporters, who is Trump to give you a certificate? It is the mandate of the common man (less saffron addicts) in India that should count.

Aditya, why are you confused? It is nothing but sarcasm from a nationalistic Hindu.

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

As a student of international relations, I do understand that relation between two countries depends upon mutual interest and strategic compulsion. Thanks to Pakistan and China, I foresee very strong bonding between India and the USA for at least next twenty years. Pakistan's home-grown industry of religious terrorism and China's flexing of muscles ensure the strong bonding between India and the USA, which will definitely be mutually beneficial.

A diversion. Today I also remember strong, relentless, shameless campaign of Indian liberals against the then Chief Minister of Gujarat to deny him visa to visit the USA. Who is having the last laugh?

"Nationalistic Hindu''-Thanks! I simply love it!

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is wrong to give all the credit to a single person for the progress of this big nation of ours but it is also true that there is development and which can't be neglected. The data's shown by various world reports could not be neglected but becoming a devotee of one single person and giving him all the credit is wrong.
    And Donald Trump statements are not taken seriously by his whole country member though being the president of country he is still the main attraction of so many jokes and sarcastic tv and web series because of his bold and bluntness in his speeches.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

I am neither an expert nor a student of international relations, but I have just stated a fact which would be agreed to by the common (non-intellectuals) man who follows the world.

There is no doubt a good work is being done by the present government led by Mr Modi, the Prime Minister. Many ways the country is developing. I read an article published in ISC in which there was mention of the present government's achievements. Anyone can refer that.
    The USA is a big force and all the countries will try to get the support of that country. It is true that still lot is to be done. So everyone should encourage the government to get motivated and go further. But unfortunately, it is the practice in India to pull the legs of the person performing. The role of the opposition is like that in our country. I am not talking about a single party. But I am talking about the opposition party. If all parties unite to see that the country will progress much faster. Otherwise, the government has to devote some time to save their position first and then comes the development. In such case, the development will be lesser than expected.

drrao
    always confident

I don't believe in a single person. What I want is development of my country. It doesn't matter who may be at the helm of the affair. We should be both critical as well as supportive at times. I find Modi's efforts are good but the decisions taken are without any in depth study.
    Coming to the thread context, we should not believe either USA or China. We should always be independent. USA won't blindly support us without any treacherous intentions. If we get closer to US, we may get new enemies.

In October 2017, the POTUS has praised Pakistan when it helped in the release of US- Canadian couple with their children from the Taliban linked network. Do not believe in others especially the other country leaders. They say whatever suits them and their country the best in the circumstances. It seems you are trying to hold on to any straw that is available to glorify one person and demean others.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, a liberal is defined as a person of liberal views. A liberal is willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own. He is open to new ideas. In the political context, a liberal is one favouring individual liberty and moderate political and social reforms. In the context of Theology, a liberal is one who regards many traditional beliefs as dispensable and invalidated by the modern thought.

Is it a crime to be liberal in this country? Is it a crime to think about all sections of the people in this country? Is it a crime to have independent thoughts and ideas? Is it a crime to say that certain traditional beliefs and thoughts are not good to the present day?

Any country will prosper as long as people are of liberal thinking and secular in nature. The immediate necessity in the world is liberal thinking. When all the people should unite and live in harmony all over the world, the short-sighted people are trying to create a division and endangering the existence of the human beings.

" Be Good and Do Good "

The definition of Indian liberals is different. Indian liberals are those who criticize, ridicule, mock everything Indian (in origin).

The definition of Indian seculars is different. Indian seculars are those who criticize, demonize, mock everything related to the religion followed by the majority community and lionize, praise the customs associated with two minority communities.

But here the issue is different. Here we are discussing about the comments of POTUS about Indian democracy and ruling party, despite so much negative propaganda by Indian liberals. Let us limit our discussion to the context.

Probably these are your own definitions. There are no Indian liberals and some other liberals. As Ms Neelam Joshi observed, MrTrump is not taken seriously by the people of his country. I find some sarcasm in what Mr Trump said.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

"MrTrump is not taken seriously by the people of his country.''-but he has won the Presidential Election despite the opinion of the intellectuals of the USA (supported by the liberals of India). Now some people are saying that the result is a tight slap given by the common people of the USA to the US intellectuals.

So far as the definitions are concerned, most of the Indians seem to agree to these definitions.

Okay, Mr Trump, we were divided till now and had to have a PM like Sri Modi to unite us. It is also agreed that we have opened up our economy; could you please clarify as to whom? You enjoy criticism unlike some in this part of the world and so it is fine.

And Partha, what about the hidden message to China? Where is the Saffron brigade taking us? Let us not follow blindly. Do not brush away healthy criticism in the name of being liberals etc. I don't think the so called people who are born terrorists (as per your version) are in any manner part of this topic.

And yes, you can create definitions and can even gather support for the same because you like to speak only to those who listen to you without any questions. The rest would be anti-nationals/ liberals.

"Do not brush away healthy criticism.......'' Healthy criticism! Huh! Another definition: Healthy criticism can be defined as following the thumb rule of criticizing everything the present Central Government does.

''And yes, you can create definitions and can even gather support for the same because you like to speak only to those who listen to you without any questions.'' Another mistake! The definition of Indian liberals and seculars has not been 'created' by any person- these definitions have been EVOLVED over last 30 years or so-more specifically since the time the Kashmiri Pandits have been thrown out of their own home after unspeakable torture. And most of the mango people of India (including myself) agree to these definitions.

For the time being let us be proud of the compliments "...working to bring that vast country and all of its people together as one, and he's working at it very, very successfully indeed."".

I used to hear a saying in Tamil -'Vasishtar Vaayaal brihmarishi pattam'- (To obtain the title BrahmaRihi from Sage Vasishta) That means: to get a credit from someone who does not gives the credit easily and give it to the real deserving, that also after many parameter testing. That will be the final indisputable award.

To get a credit from US does not appear to be so for me. The US can change it again at their whims and fancies. It was the same US govt and media who were not allowing Modi to visist US. It was the same US govt and media who were telling that there is religious discrimination in India. So when they say that Modi has succeeded to make India ONE, then either t is an indisputable fact and US is compelled to swallow its ego and admit the facts.

Sometimes I think in a cynical way, more as a precaution in self defence. When I look at this at that way, I feel US or Trump want to get some more major concessions and favour from India and Modi government. If that is so, let our government and PM be on the alert to avoid falling in their trap.

The leaders of USA have known to say what they want to keep particular parties happy. As long as someone is buying arms, buying oil from them, they'll be happy. As long as any neighbor of America's rivals supports them, they(USA) will be happy. Americans are known to support rebels, rival leaders and puppet governments for their own interests. In this case, the American leader could not ignore India and wanted to keep the issues cordial, maybe to take off some heat related to the US visas for Indian IT staff or maybe support India means that indirectly snubbing Pakistan on terror issues or maybe a defense deal is in the initial process. There could be many implications expect that it is a genuine comment. Would agree with Venkiteswaran sir and Mr.Saji, our PM should get credit from the people of our country.

• Sign In to post your comments