You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why we bargain or haggle or ask for a discount, even when we can easily afford

I think the habit of bargaining or asking for discount, free offer etc is comes naturally to us. I doubt there may be something hidden in the genes in this regard.

Can you recall when you exhibited this trend first? If my memory is correct, it was from home itself we started this 'asking for more' habit. The 'Dil mangey more' is ingrained in us. When mother gives us some sweets or toffees we would ask 'one more please'. This follows us throughout.

That is why when we go to a vegetable vendor also we haggle and ask for reducing the price, or asking for more item or 'our thoda'.

Otherwise why should we haggle for a couple of rupees when we can easily afford that?
    Although some lady Members may disagree, but I have seen that many ladies bargain because of their habit. They bargain even for 50 paise because they don't get satisfaction if they don't bargain. They think reducing the purchasing price even by 1% is a great victory, even if they waste 30 valuable minutes to bargain with the hawker or the salesman.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is the human tendency especially the ladies who ask for more than expected and then only they get satisfied. Having gauged this attitude , the vendors also jack up the price for the ladies as they know the women shoppers would ask for discount and they would readily agree and the deal is closed. In Charminar area the glass bangles are very famous and we the locals would know the exact rates. But when the tourists and even our house holds go for shopping in their own, they are easily deceived with high prices. A set of bangles cost is 100 rupees only. But they start the price from 400. And the glittering lights would give the impression that the bangle is further costly. Now the lady would bargain for 200 to which the shop owner would oblige with difficulty as if that much discount is not possible. As the customer starts leaving , he obliges for 200. But remember he coolly made 100 profit plus profit in this deal.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We feel happy when we get more for the money we spent or we spend less for a particular item. This is a weakness in many of us. I have seen many gents also who bargain in the market with vegetable vendors. We bargain there and we save how much? Very little. But it gives immense satisfaction. But when we go to a restaurant or a mall or a supermarket where is the question of bargaining. Take the item, get the bill, pay the bill, get it stamped and walk out. Here no chance for anybody. Only when poor vendors who came to our houses with a fruit basket on their head we start bargain or when we go to a market we bargain. I think paying a little more is not a problem here but we don't do it. I make a point to bargain when I go to a gold shop for purchase in wastage and making charges, I will get minimum 3 % reduction in these areas in a gold jewellery shop. Here bargaining is not bad but bargaining with a fruit selling lady I never like.
    drrao
    always confident

Sir, I think bargaining is almost a human trait that all of us have. Bargaining for a better deal, be it vegetables, asking for little extra at service restaurants, purchasing goods, haggling our bosses for half a day off, a little extra bonus after a good sale, these are all things we do to get more than what's offered to us. The key here is we do not lose much by haggling, in fact, we get more worth for our money. If you just see some mothers are senior citizens in the market, their excellent bargaining skills stand out. Of course, the person on the other side also has a human brain, so the sellers also hike up the price and play a counter mind game and end up earning as well as satisfying the bargaining customer.
    Taking haggling to a refined level more or less would be negotiations. Here again, there are many well-known people in politics and diplomatic circles who are excellent negotiators who don't give up easily and always come with some more than what's offered on the table.

Whatever the Members have said is correct. But what about the loss of time in the bargaining process? If we manage to save Re. 1/- after 30 minutes of bargaining, is it worth the effort? Is the value of 30 minutes only Re. 1/-? We have to take into account this aspect (time-factor) also.

Here I have not considered international negotiations.

There's little point in bargaining for half an hour for one rupee. If you can get another 5-10% off, its time well invested or at least well spent gaining more experience when to give up bargaining ( if returns are minuscule)

We can afford it, but who will want to pay more when we can get the same stuff at a cheaper rate. I feel that is why we bargain. It is not that I can't afford to pay 10Rs but if I can bargain and make it 8Rs, I will be satisfied that I have saved 2Rs. I normally bargain at the vegetable market or when I go to small shops to buy dress.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Yes Partha time consumed in the guise of bargaining and looking into those items which gets at lesser price and the probing in that process involves lots of time wasted which cannot be redeemed or regained.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is soacked in our human blood that no purchase is without bargain or discount. We all knows well many vendors are giving discount by inflating the price. I used to buy the needy items from small vendors and never bargain with them as their price itself a normal.

I hate to bargain, but I appreciate the people who bargain, it's truly a talent to bargain and gets stuff at a much more affordable price. Shopkeepers intentionally hike the price than the actual worth which sometimes is too much to pay, it's a sight to see sometimes when they actually agree to sell it for half the price. Which makes me to question that why do they hike it in the first place? Is it because of our nature of bargain they have hiked it or do we bargain because they hike it to sometimes unrealistic prices.

Either way, since I don't like to bargain if I feel that I can afford I end up paying more but when I can't afford I simply let it go. I find it hard to bargain.

Partha,

Let's not look at the Re.1 as a meagre amount. For the person bargaining and saving that money, it could mean a big achievement. Your time could be precious, but for a homemaker, time might not be of essence> She might be running her home on a tight budget. The 30 minutes spent in bargaining would have been well spent, instead of engaging in frivolous activity at home.

Don't ridicule someone because you can spare that Re.1 and the other person cannot. Not everyone comes from the same economic background. A rupee saved here and another there could add up to a substantial amount at the month's end.

Have we not heard of real-life stories where people walked, instead of taking a bus, so they could save a few pennies?

And your comments on the ladies are biased and unsubstantiated. How would you know that bargaining satisfies them? Don't bring in misogynistic views into discussions that clearly are not gender based.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

There is no question of ridiculing anybody. Even for the housewives, the value of 30 minutes is much more than Re. 1/-. Not all males in the world are misogynists.

Interesting to note that you know the value of a homemaker's time. The point in question is not what you think of her time, but which of the two she thinks as being important. It would be nice if women were let to decide for themselves. I am sure every homemaker is more than capable of doing so, without guidance from men.

I wonder what your role is, during the 30 minutes that you have been observing homemakers haggling for Re.1? For you to be so confident about this peculiarity among women, you must be a keen observer. What does that say about your own value for time? Half-an-hour spent regularly, just observing women haggle over small change, must need concentrated effort. I would just go about my own business. Perhaps, that is what I have been doing, for I do not find any logic in your argument because it is not something that I have taken the time out to observe.

You make a comment on women in general, based on your observations, which incidentally puts your own 'value for time' into question. Your remarks undermine the intelligence of homemakers, and they are definitely ridiculing them.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Even today morning I was going to the market to purchase some items. At the time of going to the market, I saw a lady engaged in bargaining with the vegetable vendor. I returned after more than thirty minutes (forty minutes to be exact). The lady was bargaining even then. Her husband was standing behind her and was telling that he was being late for office.

"Your remarks undermine the intelligence of homemakers, and they are definitely ridiculing them."-It is only your opinion and I definitely don't bother.

Bargaining is a trait which is present in many people and they exercise it at every opportunity. In fact we have become so much habitual of bargaining and discounts that we do not get the pleasure of satisfaction of our shopping till we perform these rituals.

The shopkeepers are also aware of these facts and they also inflate the prices in order to satisfy their customers by giving good discounts.

The whole society is today infested with this discount or bargain syndrome. The interesting thing in this is that the shopkeeper gets his margin and the customer is also happy that he had a good deal.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Your detailed description appears to be made-up.

Vendors do not have the time and patience to continue engaging with irksome customers. They have a business to run, and I don't see why any vendor would continue to participate in a dialogue that is going nowhere. Forty minutes is enough to make anyone run out of patience.

Even customers move to other vendors, to practice their bargaining skills and to get better deals.

Did you catch the Re.1 discount being discussed?

Of course, I don't expect you to concur with my views. There was a reason I brought in 'misogyny' into the debate.

What a logic! If I don't subscribe to your views, I am a misogynist! No further comment! What more can I say?

Partha,
    What I observed is - You are good at making stories that cannot be believed. ISCians are not fools to accept your writings.

No life without Sun

Mr. SuN: I am not going to be provocated. My parents and my wife have advised me. After all I have scored the half-century. So, try your technique elsewhere.

There is nothing wrong in bargaining Whether it is for one rupee or hundred rupees. The vendors try to cheat customers by charging more and underweight items. Unless we bargain, we end up losing our hard earned money. The rates the vendors specify depends upon the customers. If one goes by car they tell one rate. If you go by walk you will be told another rate. Even in big shops and Malls, if you are purchasing a costly item, they give some discount when asked. Otherwise, they keep quiet. Many people go for purchasing vegetables etc., late in the evening so that they can get them cheaper. In our country where poor people are more in number, they cannot afford to purchase by paying whatever the shopkeeper demands.

There is no necessity to pay more even if one can afford. They can save money by bargaining and donate it to a good cause. When purchasing medicines ask for a discount. They give discount anywhere between 10% to 15%.
    The housewives bargain more because the husband will give a certain amount and ask them to manage somehow or other until the month end. What can they do to save money except saving even the small amounts?

No person will be bargaining for hours together. They will be asked by the shopkeeper to move away or the customer himself moves away to another shop. The bargaining by the customers is worth their effort and time.

" Be Good and Do Good "

" If one goes by car they tell one rate. If you go by walk you will be told another rate. " - Yes, the vendors judge our affordability. They also do some service by "paying Paul by robbing Peter'.

"Even in big shops and Malls, if you are purchasing a costly item, they give some discount when asked. Otherwise, they keep quiet."- I also feel this to be so. But those who ask for discount will ask her also.
    But the irony is that when the bargain is one rupee on the cost of say 20 rupees, the percentage is Five per cent. However when the discount is Rs 500 on a cost of 20,000/ it appears big, but actually it is only 2.5 percent.
    I have experienced that vendors have a very sharp sense of judgement and they quote prices evaluating whether the person will bargain and haggle.
    For the 'expected nuisance' customers they quote a higher price and then give in for bargaining. Or they do some trick to compensate the same either by giving low quality stuff or may even give a soiled or torn note for change.

The regular vegetable vendor from whom I was buying, used to delay me until some bargaining customers leave, and then he used to take less price from me.

• Sign In to post your comments