You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A strange thought crossed my mind today

Emojis. Picture's worth a thousand letters and a symbol tells the whole history.
    Why not use such effective tools on ISC platform? This request would be ignored flat by the lead editors.
    But I have a reason to bring forth this request. Most of the times, sentences are deceiving. You can understand a sentence better when it's rendered with emotions, hence emojis.
    Imagine I want to make a sarcastic comment. I'll use this - ??.
    This brings a whole new connection between the members. There are lesser misunderstandings.

I know what editors might think. " This is informal". Then atleast let the members use few fundamental emoticons.
    Will my request me granted for the betterment of ISC?
    My bad. I think emojis will not be displayed on the page.
    Hence you cannot view what emoji I posted.
    If you wonder, it looks like this "-_-" .

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

To insert emoticons we will have to use emoji CSS, but then wouldn't it be better to express what we want to say by playing with words. EMoticons will limit our imaginations of using and playing around with words.

Though the idea is good and that can be implemented, but what I feel ISC is not a social site, but it is a educational site and here we are suppose to write for which this channel has been created to test our writing caliber and not for posting emojis and Icons.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No, I am not in favour of emoticons or emojis. The Members must understand the underlying emotions from the text itself.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

A definitely no to this. First point is ISC is not a social site. It is a site for education. So our English should be correct and no spelling mistakes. No grammar flaws. So your suggestion is not acceptable on this site. The writer should be able to convey his feelings properly and the reader should understand the meaning by reading the post. That should be the concept in this ISC. So let us not think of these new symbolic language on this site.
    drrao
    always confident

Using Emojis in an educative site like ISC wherein the members and visitors are highly variable would not be a good idea. Some of the discussions and articles would be of a different tone and these emoticons would not suit well and lessen the impact of a well thought authoritative reply. I fear emoticons can be mistaken and misused if there is a personal bias between people. For instance, imagine asking the experts section, wherein a reply for study, marital discord or health guidance is given seriously and you add an emoticon, it doesn't bode well. maybe you can have it in private messages.

• Sign In to post your comments