You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why diabetes patients loose their tooth one after other ?

It has been generally told by the elders at the home that those who have the diabetes , they may loose the tooth one after other. Right from the teenage , the falling of teeth would be natural phenomenon and those who lost their tooth, will regain and it will regrow on its own. In that case how can we blame the diabetes is the cause for tooth falling. Moreover for those who take utmost care and take regular treatment also the tooth falling is for sure. The experts of this site can throw their valuable feed back on this issue.
    "Right from the teenage , the falling of teeth would be natural phenomenon and those who lost their tooth, will regain and it will regrow on its own."

What am I missing? When did this natural phenomenon begin? Where have I been?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I sought a answer and not a review of my content.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A review is important because your statement defies logic, Mohan. In humans, each tooth gets replaced only once. By late teen years, you should have replaced all your teeth and then if you lose any tooth it won't regrow. Diabetes doesn't happen in teenage (except for the rare cases) and hence your thread doesn't make sense.

Who said diabetes never happens in teenage. Many cases are now seen by the doctors and most of them are from teenage only.
    K Mohan

Mohan,

Absurdity needs to be questioned. If you post rubbish, expect flak in return.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

@Mohan
    I don't know who said diabetes never happens in teenage. I said it is rare.

"Many cases are now seen by the doctors and most of them are from teenage only." - Again a factually wrong statement. Teenage diabetes type 2 is so rare that you won't even find the numbers for it. The average age of onset of diabetes is 42 years in India. Learn to research the topic before starting a discussion on the same.

Come to Yashodha and KIMS hospital in Hyderabad and know the growing cases of diabetes in teenagers. Why should I spread wrong information. Never derail the thread with unnecessary intervention.
    K Mohan

All human teeth well get replaced with new ones once before the cross their 15 th year maximum. After that there in no chance for getting replaced. If we lost by any chance we have to replace it with a doctor made tooth. My knowledge is zero regarding the relation between sugar and teeth.
    drrao
    always confident

@Mohan, for a person who is the king of spreading misinformation like mosquito bites spread AIDS and confuses obesity with diabetes among teenagers, it does not suit you to give others instructions on how to behave in the Forum.

If you try to research before posting any thread in Forum, it won't require my or anybody else's intervention.

Mohan,

During teenage years one attains puberty. That is a natural phenomenon.

Teenagers do not begin losing teeth - children generally get their permanent teeth by age 12. The primary teeth (milk teeth) begin falling out when a child is around of 6-7. By the time a child's a teenager, he has his permanent teeth, except the wisdom teeth, which come later.

Ankit you may be referring internet and Google for responses and posting here. But my mentions are out of experience and feeds from the real happenings.
    K Mohan

People experience a lot of things and some of those give rise to superstitions and misinformation like yours.

I am referring 2 sources, one is internet where I am referring the data from reputed research hospitals and health domain organizations which hold much more value that your words or feeds.
    My second source is AIIMS hospital where my mother left work sometime back. She was working in non-communicable diseases data collection from rural and semi urban areas. While my information is actually scientifically data driven, yours is word of mouth.

K Mohan,

Here's "real feed" from a highly reputed Dentist (endorsing, too, some of the info stated already in responses above) -
    1. Diabetes usually sets in upwards of age 40. In teenagers it is not very common.

2. Tooth loss in teenagers should not be associated with diabetes & can be considered only if it is a rare case that the teen is a diabetic. The tooth loss could be due to a number of factors, such as constantly drinking fizzy drinks, eating large quantities of chips & other starchy junk food, etc. Consuming such stuff can result in the formation of plaque. Accumulation of plaque in turn leads to tooth decay (don't want to give an elaborate dental lesson here, so keeping it short.) Other factors could be smoking & drinking alcohol, vices which do develop in many people during their teen years. It is important for everyone, not just teens, to get plaque removed once every six months. If there is bleeding of gums, then this too needs to be checked and managed to prevent infection & tooth decay.

3. Infection in the gums and teeth can cause tooth loss, and diabetics, due to having less resilience, could have a greater chance of teeth loss. However, this is NOT the case with all diabetics. Those who make a conscious effort to control their sugar levels will not necessarily have this problem.

4. You stated "Moreover for those who take utmost care and take regular treatment also the tooth falling is for sure." - This is incorrect. Those who go for regular check ups for cavities, bleeding of gums, etc with scaling done to remove plaque and tartar and maintain very good overall dental hygiene may never have tooth loss even in their twilight years.

The bottomline: Tooth loss may not be due to diabetes at all + Very good oral hygiene combined with good food habits & nutrition can keep all your teeth intact.

You mentioned two hospitals. I would suggest that you meet a reputed Endocrinologist and a Dentist in both these hospitals and get actual data from them about your theory of teenagers losing their teeth in a dramatic fashion & having them magically regrow. Please get some first-hand knowledge, too, about diabetes, dental problems associated with it and other causes of tooth decay & tooth loss. We will keep this thread open for you to provide us with the data to support your theory.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

I do not think Mohan is completely incorrect. Everyone is talking about Diabetes Type -2. Why is no one mentioning Diabetes Type - 1 which affects children and adolescents?

I have seen debates on television on diabetes affecting school kids. There are also reports in the print media and the internet has a lot of data on it too. Though type 1 diabetes is what afflicts children and teens the incidence of type 2 diabetes in children is also on the rise and growing at an alarming rate of 5% per year.

Some reports make mention of studies that show that 50% of type 2 diabetes patients in India diagnosed with the disease are under the age of forty.

Diabetes affects every organ of the body gradually in one way or other. Tooth decay,loose gums etc will occur in more probability to diabetics; not attending to it or not treating them in the proper importance can lead to teeth fall also. Diabetics are more prone to teeth related problems than non-diabetic people.
    Ill managed and long term diabetes affects the capillaries first. Teeth are nourished by the capillaries and the problems in nourishment rich blood supply gradually cayuses 'death' of these points.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

According to me, probably it is due to calcium deficiency which found more in diabetic patients. I too have seen many diabetics lose their teeth.
    but in this juncture I wish to share one which I read in a spiritual book. Once as the lifetime found over, a lawyer was taken by'kal'(yama) to the courtyard of Lord. The lawyer furiously asked the Lord,'we lawyers normally gives 21days notice to any. But you have name for Justice taken me without any notice.' By hearing this God with smile replied,'who told you that notice have not been given. First notice given in form of making your hairs white. You setaside by coloring. Next notice given through joint pain in legs,you ignore that through operation. Next notice given through teeth falling. Next notice given by making your eyesight poor,you ignored that through cateract operation. So if you setaside all my notice without understanding that your age is increasing and you have not taken any step for your spiritual journey but accusing me'.

Diabetes is a very disturbing disease in the sense that even minors are not spared and they can fall victim of diabetes 1. This can happen as early as they attain the age of three years. Of course, this disease is due to malfunction of immunity and the development of this disease takes place when the kids remain in the womb of their mothers. Excess consumption of antibiotics, habituated with alcoholism, cold drinks like Coke, Fanta, Coka - cola and narcotics are the origin of this disease in the kids.
    Once this disease makes inroads, it can affect the functioning of multiple organs if the surge of sugar level is not arrested. However, type 2 diabetes affects the population at some late age - say after attainment of 40. This disease calls for strict discipline to be followed in respect of healthy life style including major modification in their food pattern thereby major reduction of carbohydrate items from their food. Physical Exercise is the essential component to be included in their life - style to control this dreaded disease.

While talking about diabetic patients, it is true that it plays seriously with people irrespective of age. Patients,especially between 40 & 60 doesnot take up seriously and many of them donot take up the walking which is,according to many dotors, most important in addition to medicines.

• Sign In to post your comments