You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should we follow: ''Satyam Bruyat Priyam Bruyat Na Bruyat Satyam Apriyam''?

I think most of us have heard the following story:

A king got his horoscope made. He showed it to an astrologer and asked him about his future. The astrologer checked the books of astrology and said: O King, all your relatives will die before you; you will perform their last rites''. The king became furious. He was very attached to his relatives and could not tolerate such prediction. He ordered the astrologer to be imprisoned.

Then the king consulted another astrologer. This astrologer was tactful. He found that the previous astrologer's prediction was correct. But he heard the fate of his predecessor. So, he said: 'O Mighty King, you have a very long life. You will live longer than all of your relatives''. The king was very pleased and honoured the astrologer.

That is the reason our elders have advised: ''Satyam Bruyat Priyam Bruyat Na Bruyat Satyam Apriyam''. But unfortunately I could not follow their valuable advice most of the time, which has been causing unnecessary trouble and tussle with others.

Do the Members follow this advice in their day-to-day life? Please furnish your opinion.
    It is always better to present even negative news also in a positive way. This is like the glass is half full will be better to hear the glass is half vacant. There is always a better method of presentation in a positive manner. The quote says tell truth , tell only good. Even though it is truth don 't tell bad. The way how you present is always make the difference.
    drrao
    always confident

It's the command over the language to be able to understand the truth and formulate a reply is such a way that the truth is not distorted, that's important. Yes, presenting truth in such a way that it doesn't hurt the person is a good option. For instance, there was one report sometime back that in a study it was noted that roughly 1/3 of the road traffic accidents were caused by people driving under influence of alcohol. If I were to be a fan of alcohol, I would love to hear it as, in a study, it was noted the majority (2/3) of the accidents were caused by non-alcoholics while only 1/3 were caused by people under influence of alcohol. Just by a play of words, without distorting the truth, the second statement makes me feel happy more than the first statement.

I am one who follows the quoted wisdom lines to the possible extent.
    I have reiterated the same in various contexts earlier also.

To substantiate I invite your reference to my response posts in the following forum threads
    1. #579478 in Is honesty still the best policy?
    2. #472489 in this thread
    3 .#601567 in Are diplomatic people more popular than those who are honest and straight forward?

If we remember the essence of this age old Sanskrit verse then many awkward and unwelcome situations in our day to day life can be avoided

Human tendency is such that we are averse to hear the negative and sad moments of future in life and we want to have peaceful and happy life.But fact is that we must end the life at one time or the other and astrologer as rightly predicted to the fate of the King. But you know King is a person who wants to live for more years and control his kingdom from external aggression for long long years. Having sensed this weakness of the king, other astrologer predicted the inner feeling of the king and though he distorted the first astrologer prediction, the second astrologer chose to excuse himself. This is called avakashavadhi attitude.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A very good quote indeed. It should be followed by everyone. This quote holds good as long as the person is telling truth but not half-truths or lies.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Mr. KVRR: Absolutely correct. That is the reason the very first two words state: ''Satyam Bruyat''. So, the most important thing is truth. We must not hide the bitter truth under the carpet.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments