You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A social reformer with many firsts.

Cornelia Sorabji (15-11-1866 to 6-7-1954)

Born in Nashik, she grew up in Belgaum and Pune, she had to struggle to get funding for her education. Many including Florence Nightingale contributed to help her complete her studies in England. She returned to India in 1894 with a law degree but was only allowed to practice law in 1923 (until then women were barred from practicing law).

Her acheivements
    First female graduate of Bombay Univeritsy
    First woman to study law at Oxford or any British Univeristy
    First female advocate of India
    First woman to practice law in India and Britain

(Source:google doodle and wiki)
    A very good information from the author. Thanks to him for giving the details about Cornelia Sorabji, a reformer with many firsts. I don't know that for some time in India ladies are not allowed practice as a lawyer. This is a news to me.
    drrao
    always confident

Yes, the November 15, 2017 Google Doodle pays tribute to Cornelia Sorabji, the first woman to graduate in law from India as early as 1892 and the first Indian national to attend a British University. Truly a remarkable lady.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Today morning when I opened the Google search engine , I came across the doodle dedicated to Cornelia Sorabji . the social reformer and her so many firsts indicate that she was the great woman to reckon with during those days.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments