You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Fall & Resurrection of Vijayanagara Kingdom:Venkatapati Deva Raya-saviour of Southern India(Part-II)

[Continued from: Fall & Resurrection of Vijayanagara Kingdom:Venkatapati Deva Raya-saviour of Southern India (Part-I)]

Thanks to our history books, we learnt that Vijyanagara kingdom fell after its defeat in the Battle of Talikota. But is it true? Let us study further. May be the truth is much different.

It is indeed true that the period from 1565 to 1585 was two decades of misfortune and agony for the Vijayanagara kingdom. But Tirumala Raya, the successor of Rama Raya, tried to re-establish the Hindu rule of Vijayanagara. He himself lost one of his eyes and one of his sons in the Battle of Talikota, but he never lost his spirit. But luck was not with him. Due to incessant harassment from the sultans of Bijapur and Golconda, he was forced to shift his capital to Penukonda, thus effectively ending any attempt to regain Raichur doab. He suffered many setbacks and lost Adoni. Turkal, Dharwad and Bankapur to Sultan Adil Shah of Bijapur. Eventually he died after handing over a rapidly shrinking kingdom to his son Ranga Raya.

Ranga Raya inherited the indomitable spirit of his father, Tirumala Raya. But he also inherited his ill fate. His fortune turned to worse year after year. Initially he was able to regain the forts lost to Golkonda, but could not held these. Nayak rulers at the western part of the kingdom did not get his support at the time of need and eventually had to accept the supremacy of Portuguese. When Adil Shah attacked Penukonda, he was able to defend the city, but some of his landlords later joined hands with Bijapur and Golconda. Next year Adil Shah again attacked Penukonda, but again this time he managed to defend it due to military genius of his son-in-law, Jaggadevaraya.

The Vijayanagara empire was continuously on the back-foot. The sultanates had been launching annual jihad year after year. The northern, eastern and western parts of the kingdom were shrinking continuously. It seemed that the kingdom's days were numbered.

However, in this turbulent and terrible time, Ranga Raya's youngest brother and the Governor of Chandragiri, Venkatapati Deva Raya, managed an expedition to Ceylon (present Srilanka) and gained tribute from the king of that country. This was a silver lining in the dark cloud looming over the horizon of Vijayanagara empire.

Ranga Raya died in the year 1585. After his death, the ministers, the landlords, the Brahmins and the generals took a very significant decision. Instead of crowning the immediate younger brother or the son of Ranga Raya, they chose Ranga Raya's youngest brother, Venkatapati Deva Raya as the successor of Ranga Raya.

The reversal of fortune started with the coronation of Venkatapati Deva Raya.

(.....To be continued at Part-III)
    Sir,
    I wanted why is that repeated the terms suggesting Muslim rule in a negative manner. Jehad, who were fighting jehad?The sultans were in western India and Southern India and are enemies to Delhi Sultanate rule. They were fighting Vijayanagara and Battle of Talaikota was purely a resuly of misadventure of Vijayanagara.
    History books do not claim battle of Talaikota as end of Vijayanagara rule. But the point is in the battle they raised 1,50,000 men and were not able to raise a larger force in next battles.

Mr. Gokul Aravindh: Should we project all negatives in positive light? What benefit would we get by doing so?

However, I would give detailed reply after posting the entire three-part article.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Nice to read the continuation, looks like temporary alliances of people under this regime again led to the loss of territory and frequent battles.

Once again the continue of the story is very impressive. Such vast content are fit to be a resource and that would be a treasure for the site and pride for the author.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The thread is interesting to read and informative. As usual, the author has made a very good presentation of his favourite subject The History. The author can try making the total three threads as an article and might have posted there. Otherwise, this thread will vanish after 10 days. But if it is an article it will be there for more time and with a republishing facility. The author can try for that.
    drrao
    always confident

Partha, your response to Gokul at #615988 is still awaited. You should have issued the clarification before publishing the concluding part. I think you must be prepared to clarify doubts of those who are equally interested in History when you are giving out a lesser known version. I would also suggest you to give the source from where you have compiled a piece and also to specifically mention that you are narrating a different version, I mean one which is not popular. It is also felt that such detailed narrations, though in parts, would be better if published as articles because the same does not suit the forum as such.
    'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

#615988: This was ''annual jihad'' because the sultanates (who used to fight each other continuously) used to get united first before Battle of Talikota and later every year in the name of jihad. So, I have called it ''annual jihad''. We must learn to call a spade a spade.

#616486: So far as references are concerned, the list would be lengthy, but I would definitely mention some of these later as today I am very tired due to some official work.

So far as writing article is concerned, I have already mentioned in another response to Part-III of this series, that I have been banned to write articles in ISC. Even if there was no bar, I would not have written an article on this issue, because I require feedback. In some of my well-researched articles, I have received no feedback. So, I feel that those articles have not been read by any Member of ISC.

(I am not very worried about AdSense revenue.)

Banned from Article section? I don't think so . Let me check with the concerned section.

Coming back to the core point of the topic, it appears you are analyzing the story very interestingly with creative art under a hypothetical situation. Annual Jihad - is a too big word and you are trying to redefine the word in your own way.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Mr. Jagadish Patro and Mr. Gokul Aravindh: Although I am really tired, I am forced to give some other references on '√°nnual jihad'. Please see the references given below:-

(a) https://vijayanagar.quora.com/The-golden-era-of-Vijayanagara-begins-Krishna-Deva-Raya-becomes-the-emperor-of-Vijayanagara: "The Bahamanis under Sultan Mahmud had initiated an annual jihad of sorts.''

(b) Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture: https://books.google.co.in/books?id=cYoHOqC7Yx4C&pg=PA276&lpg=PA276&dq=: "Mahmud Shah Bahmani unites his amirs and wazirs in an agreement to wage annual jihad against Vijayanagara''

(c) http://bharatrakshak.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Raichur: "This had the salutary effect of putting a stop to the annual jihad against Vijayanagar. Krishnadeva Raya did not stop here; in further engagements he took Raichur, Gulbarga and captured Bidar from the Barid Shahi sultan.''

Am I required to mention some more references of ''annual jihad''?

Partha, what is the authority of the links you have provided? It is nothing more than like someone citing a thread or article by you or me as a reference. When a source is asked for, you must be able to provide a reliable and authentic source and not any general material or blogs which are more or less individual views, analysis or opinion. Hope now you got the reason why I suggested you to provide the source; it is to give more credibility to your version of historical facts. I would request you to give a specific response instead of trying to justify your points.

Another point I would like to highlight is that, a restriction to post in the article section, if it is so, does not mean that one starts posting those contents in different parts in the forum section.

Who will certify the authenticity? Marxist historians, or sicku-libu brigade of India? If you don't accept the references as source, consider the article as figment of my imagination, I don't bother.

There was no king called Venkatapati Deva Raya, there was no annual jihad, people used to live as 'bhai-bhai', no annual killing of one lakh Hindus by Bahmanis, nothing.

Enjoy life!

An author publishing a matter supposedly based on history need to be more responsible and cannot be expected to take such an adamant stand that is not acceptable.
    The author is, so, advised to either post such contents (as articles) with due authority or post them under the category of creative writing henceforth. We cannot allow guidelines (existing/ told in a particular context) to be flouted or neglected.
    This thread is being locked now and further queries or clarifications in this regard will not be entertained.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.