You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Language is same but spoken differently.

Most of you might have noticed a particular language is spoken differently in different places. I am from Keralam and my mother tongue is Malayalam. I was born and brought up in a Taluk called Valluvanad coming under the Malabar district of old Madras State. When the States were restructured based on the languages Malabar became part of Kerala State. Later the whole State was divided into 14 districts (first only 9 were there). Then my place came under Palakkad district. When I completed my school education I joined in a college at Thrissur. When I went there I was a bit confused to hear the way in which the people were talking. It was Malayalam, no doubt, but several usages were different compared to what I was using. (eg:"entha ?" became "enthoota?" - both meaning "what?").
    Later after competing my degree I got admission for Post graduation in a department under Kerala University at Thiruvananthapuram. There I hear the same word as "enna". In another place it become "ennatha", "enthuva", "enna", etc. Such words can be understood based on the context. But there are certain words which have entirely different meaning. The very tune of pronunciation also vary very much from North Kerala to South. The people at Thrissur use a sort of musical pronunciations in their usual conversation. Kottayam also has their own identity. The Valluvanad (presently spread over Parts of Psalms and Malappuram districts) has a special type of usage, which has appeared in several Malayalam cinemas, especially cinemas in which M. T. Vasudevan Nair has written the conversation.
    Like this the same language takes different forms if one takes a journey from Kasargod to Thiruvananthapuram. May be that this might be the case with other languages also.
    Rightly said by the author. The language is same but spoken differently by the people. For example Telugu is spoken differently in Telangana , Andhra and Rayalaseema. Telangana langauge would be rough without respect words. Where as Andhra Telugu dialect would be with a long expression and Rayalaseema Telugu has the mixture of Kannada and TAMIL and thus we can easily differentiate the people while they are talking . But most of the Telugu films and literature are based on Andhra Telugu and that is even respected the world over. May be that kind of difference in Malayalam too.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes. Language is same but spoken differently. People can identify the native of a person by the pronunciation of the words. I am a Tamil hailing from Tirunelveli. Though Tamil is spoken differently in different districts, we have a common Tamil Known as Shenthamizh which is the right Tamil to pronounce and write. Almost all the political leaders speak one such Tamil called Shenthamizh while standing on the dais.
    No life without Sun

It is absolutely right. The same language is having slight variations from place to place.

In old times because of lack of communication and transport the villages were isolated and their languages got slight deviations which remained like that.

There is a old saying that the spoken language changes in a distance of 4 Kosh (1 Kosh is approx equal to 3 km). That is an old saying but conveys the meaning well.

Knowledge is power.

It is true. The same language will be spoken in different places differently. In some places, the languages will have a mix of the neighbouring state. In some place, the ascent will be completely different. If you take the Telugu language, the ascent will be completely different in 3 areas. The Telangana Telugu will have a lot of Urdu words. In every sentence at least 1 or 2udru words will be there in the region. If you go to Hindupur, the border place of Karnataka, the language will have a lot of influence of Kannada. Many Kannada words will be used as Telugu words in the discusiions in these places. Similarly if you go towards Vijayanagaram and Orissa border places you will find oria words converted as Telugu words
    This gives lot of difference in the same language from place to place.

drrao
    always confident

What you commented is right Dr. Rap. In Kerala the northern most district is Kasargod. There several people talk Kannada or a mix of Kannada and Malayalam. Kasargod is the border district of Kerala and Karnataka. Same is the case with the southern most part of Thiruvananthapuram district. But here the mixing is with Tamil, the language of the neighbouring State Tamilnadu. The same applies to the eastern areas of Palakkad district, which is another border district between Kerala and Tamilnadu.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Among the four Dravidian languages (Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam) which are familiar with, there would be certain dialects or variants mix of words that are more obvious that it can be made out instantly when one speaks the language. I'm not sure whether it's the border mix, ancestors mix or just the way the spoken language of people in that area has evolved. In Salem, there are a group of Tamil speaking people who have a good mix of Kannada language and the difference is obvious when they speak in the train or bus.The other reason for the change in the spoken language is the modern mix of words and modern pronunciation that actually marrs the beauty of the original language. Like Mr.SuN has mentioned, if one listens the original Tamil spoken (many times Kamal Hassan uses this), they would notice the obvious difference.

Exactly. In Bengali language also, the dialects are different. As far as I know, there are more than 63 dialects in entire Bengal (undivided). Even in some cases, there are much differences between two dialects spoken in the same district. But I feel that most remarkable dialect is the dialect of Chittagong (now in Bangladesh). In this dialect, around 50% words are Burmese words and other 50% (mainly verbs and pronouns) are Bengali.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

You are right sir.. every language is almost similar but the way of speaking only differs. If we talk about Hindi since I have been speaking this language since the day I was born. I have heard my grandfather used to speak our district language "Bhojpuri", which is quite similar to Hindi but spoken in a different way. In Hindi, the word "kya" becomes "ka" in Bhojpuri. In Uttar Pradesh, this is the most friendly language among all. We also call the basic Hindi as "Khariboli" while speaking it. In Uttar Pradesh, it is always spoken like that.
    Do what inspires you !!

Why different people speak different languages? Why different accent?
    Why not speak same one language?

True, different dialects are used in different parts of Kerala. I am from the capital city, Trivandrum. The dialect we use is completely different from that of the Northen districts of Kerala. Even certain words they use and not used by us at all or might have a different meaning and vice-versa. As per actual Malayalam language, there is only one form, but people of different places shorten the words for their convenience or add a sing-along tone to it and thus the dialects have changed. Comedy artists are making a living using these different dialects.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

I think I can answer Neeraj. Why do we speak in different languages? Because language formed when civilization formed and the civilizations were far apart from each other and developed their own communication. But irrespective of language, some words sound the same in all languages.
    As for the accents, they exist in nature. Parrots, though of same species, one in Tamilnadu will sound a bit different from the one in Maharahstra. In the similar way, every lion pride has a distinctive roar. Prides present in the same area, roar with accents. Accents and languages, both exist in nature.
    As for the reason why accents are there, language isn't inherited. Language isn't in your DNA like your blood group or complexion. Language is taught over the years.
    We learn a language from our parents who learnt it from their parents and so on. So, the pronunciation and spellings become different. Your family will have an accent and the neighbours will have another.
    I'll call it micro-accents.
    Because we all are said to have an Indian accent according to the westerners.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Aditya!
    You are brilliant!
    Language and cultural dispersion along the East West axis is fast compared to North south Axis. So everything- How we are and what we are etc, depends on the Geography and Environment of the country!

• Sign In to post your comments