You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Fasting is indeed good for health.

During my childhood days, the Ayurveda Doctors used to advise patients to observe fast when they had fever or other ailments. The concept of fasting when sick gradually decreased with the emergence of Allopathy and many doctors of Allopathy ruled out fasting during the fever. They started using antibiotics.

This year, the Nobel Prize for medicine was awarded to a Japanese Scientist who discovered " Autophagy". Autophagy is nothing but recycling of the cells. If we don't take food for a day, the body will use some inner cells and proteins unused in the body and survive. If the body loses this autophagy it will become sick.This autophagy will remove all unwanted cells, unused proteins and fat. This gives good health to the body. For proving the importance of fasting the Scientists got Nobel Prize. But nobody understood the importance when the same concept was advised by our elders and traditional physicians.

Now the same Allopathy doctors may advise us fasting when we are sick.
    The thing that our elders did wrong is- they never gave a proper explanation for anything. Instead of applying logic, they proved that superstition does a better job. Because fear is a better motivator.
    But with the advent of science, the olden practices are being questioned and reasoned with.
    Feast the six and fast the one day of a week.
    We produce a lot of toxins inside our body as a byproduct of digestion. Naturally these would be removed from our body through excretion. But humans eat a lot. Here's the thing, herbivorous animals eat a lot. Because the plant material doesn't provide sufficient energy. But carnivorous beasts eat for just once in a three days. That way, animals keep themselves in check. But not even herbivores have a three course meal per day. We eat an awful lot.
    And to give an interval to our stomach to flush out the poisons, we need to fast.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I had spent half of my childhood with my maternal grandparents. 'Emptying stomach' once in a month was a regular routine . Grandmother used to prepare a concoction using medicinal castor oil, dried grapes,and a few other native medicine materials. This is given early morning after waking up. The purging will start soon. Boiled and cooled water will be given periodically. By noon the stomach would have become empty literally and in essence. Then rice gruel is given adding a little salt. Once that stabilises in stomach, by late afternoon rice mixed with a few drops of home made ghee is given as food. A chutney with roasted green gram a little of pepper and salt is given as side dish. Nigh idly or dosa without much oil is given and/or a glass of milk. The regular food routine resumed from next day.

Our ancestors had made a good schedule of regulation and a rare excess by normal food, feats and fasts . That was why certain days were earmarked as fast or upvaas.

There are many even now following and observing the traditional fasting .

Now the same thing we following in some other ways calling as 'dieting'.

Fasting is a great method of cleansing of our internal body organs and systems and is prescribed in our culture since the dawn of civilization. It's importance is well realized by our ancestors and is well documented in our scriptures.

Today Ayurvedic methods are being adopted by the whole of the world for one ailment or other. People have come to know the value of Yoga and other Indian methods for well being and good health.

Fasting is one such technique and its advantages are only experienced by observing it.

Initially it may look a very difficult task to observe fasts but once it is learnt and its benefits are known it becomes a routine matter.

Knowledge is power.

Friends, I just read the write up in the Nobelprize website (https://www.nobelprize.org/ nobel_prizes /medicine/laureates/2016/press.html) . Autophagy has been around for some years. In Greek means self devouring, it was observed by KR Porter and T.Ashford at Rockefeller Institute in 1962. The term Autophagy was given by Christian de Duve in 1963.
    Incidentally, Dr.Ohsumi was a post doctoral fellow at Rockefeller University during 1974-1977. Yoshinori Ohsumi,via his experiments found the genes regulating autophagy. His crucial research in 1990s on genes controlling autophagy has lead to remarkable understand of some disorders like Parkinson's disease etc, for this he was awarded the Nobel prize in 2016 ( not for discovering Autophagy).

Agree with Dr.Rao about the rest.

I heard both terms Autophagy and fast and their definition both in different contexts but reading their relationship in such a way which is so beneficial for human health is really fascinating.
    But does in this way autophagy can always reduce fat from bod? Please answer this query of mine?

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

My grand father used to say us to starv atleast one time in a day when we feel sick by referring 'langanam Parama aushadham'. I practiced this and succeeded many times.

There is a saying in Tamil " Langanam parama oushadham"- fasting(skipping food) is the best medicine. This is usually advised when one has his stomach upset or lack of appetite , mild fever etc.

The same saying is there in Telugu and it is practised very scrupulously in our house. My father even now will take food if he is having a little fever also. He always advise us also not to take food when we are not well. Our Hindu Religion advises us to go for fasting on some days like Ekadasi etc. The reason behind this may be the self-curing process. There are articles which I read says that fat will also reduce with this fasting once in a while.
    drrao
    always confident

Elders in village used to say that a fasting at least once in a week , would help the body system gets overhauled and thus the problematic food thus taken wont give challenge to our body system and health. In this regard I admire the fasting being undertaken by Muslims during Ramzan Month. The whole 30 days they would eat early in the morning and then take only dinner at late evening. Thus the whole day the stomach is kept free even without gulping of saliva. The body gets totally recharged and the digestion would be perfect as the night dinner in Muslim homes would be heavy.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, it is said that fasting is good for our health. We are actually giving rest to our body once in a while by fasting. All the religious advise some sort of fasting.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Yes fasting is really good for our health. Regular fasting is not good but once a week is good. Fasting is not good for weak peoples who does not tolerate the appetite. Fasting sometimes cause headache to weak peoples. There are lots of benifits of fasting. It clears the skin and whiten the eyes. The fasting person feels satisfied, attains mental and psychological rest. Fasting also giving rest to our digest system.

I have heard that fasting for one day in every week is good for health. It clears all the toxins in the body and helps strengthening the digestive system of the body.

So far I have not been able to follow this advice.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

• Sign In to post your comments