You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Not being able to reply to the comments on my thread

This is one huge problem with ISC. Most of discussion forums like Yahoo and Quora have a reply button. A person posts his query and certain amounts of comments are done. When the person finds a comment interesting or convincing, he replies the commenter for further info.
    This happens with social media too. "Reply" tool is as effective as "comment" tool.

But things in ISC are very different. You cannot directly reply a comment. Yes, I don't call them a response, I call them a comment. Because most of the responses made in forum are meaningless. Either the members repeat the same thing the author has written or completely deviate from the main plot. Which is the reason why I feel they're comments rather than responses.

Most of the times, the responders find some previous responses interesting and post a separate comment addressing that response. For an instance, a member F found my response interesting, he would either post a response addressing me or simply write "@aditya".
    This doesn't give me a notification. I'll never know that my response has a reply. And by chance if I reopen the thread, sometime later, the moment had already passed.
    I've lost a lot of opportunities because of the absence of a "reply" button.
    Can nothing be done about this? I'm sure there are a fine number of members who feel the same way.
    That is why it is advised to the members that they should be regular to this site and also verify their posts for any fresh responses and replies so that they can revert back on any further clarification or rejoinders. If the members are regular surely they can have tow on their posts and also have some healthy discussions on trending topics.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Aditya,
    Not to worry. There is a button called 'Subscribe'. After posting your response, press this 'subscribe' button. You will get a message or notification to this effect.

No life without Sun

Sun. You are right about notifications.
    But that still doesn't solve my problem to reply a particular individual.
    Look what I'm doing right now, I'm posting a separate response to reply you, which is highly inconvenient.
    I wish I could just use a reply button and reply to you alone.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Aditya,
    That's too much to demand. We never ever had faced such problem. All going good.

No life without Sun

Aditya, I can understand the ease and relevance with respect to timing that you want. But ISC is not a social media site, any reply posted in the forum or article section should be and would be visible to all. If you want to reply to only one person, then it becomes a closed/ private discussion.
    'Because most of the responses made in forum are meaningless' This comment of yours sounds very odd, if we don't like a response, we can ignore it, if we find a mistake, then we can certainly correct it, but calling it meaningless would dishearten many forum members.

Aditya, Natarajan has explained the position in the above response. Forum, being a common platform for discussion, it won't be advisable to give an option for one to one conversation. You may use the subscribe feature for getting notifications about a thread that you would like to follow. It is suggested to enable the subscribe feature in all threads that you post as also in threads to which you have posted a response.

Isn't your title misleading?

'Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance'- Confucius

Yes. It is not a social media and this site is open to all the members. They should be able to see all the threads and all the replies to the threads. There is no chance for one to one discussions. There is a facility for sending emails to the members who are gold level or above. We can use that as per the provisions to have one to one discussion. Otherwise, you can use subscribe button which will make you get information about the replies posted in the threads and you can view those and take action as required.
    drrao
    always confident

@Aditya:
    "Yes, I don't call them a response, I call them a comment. Because most of the responses made in the forum are meaningless. Either the members repeat the same thing the author has written or completely deviate from the main plot. Which is the reason why I feel they're comments rather than responses. "
    I agree with you. I appreciate your guts for pointing out the fact. Most of the times they are comments only but not responses. All of us are guilty of this aspect. Let us try to be more precise in giving responses but not comments.

" Be Good and Do Good "

I wish to know how to take a poll in ISC. If I suceed in getting a majority of votes, my motion would pass.
    I know that having a "reply" button is crucial because itis causing misunderstandings among members and leading to misdirection of whole thread. I still stand firm about my request.
    I know that many think the same inside and would really love that feature.

I know ISC isn't a social media. We all do.
    Isn't ISC a discussion platform? Like Quora?
    Wouldn't following Quora be good for ISC?
    What harm can a small reply button do?
    I don't see why not to have it.
    Did Quora discussions go bad as you're suggesting? No right.
    Quora and Yahoo are prospering as good discussion platforms.
    I merely want ISC to be that way too.

Aditya,
    I don't think Quora and Yahoo are that good like ISC. Anyone who tasted ISC, won't look at Quora or Yahoo. ISC posts and responses are so clear that nothing can match ISC.

No life without Sun

Sure. ISC is a bit different, seeing the wide range available here. But I'm afraid about the popularity. If few. Just few good features could be implemented, a lot I reception can be seen in ISC.

My suggestion is to use message to send a reply to a specific member by referring to their comment/response. I have used many times this message system and if you start using this you may even direct mail to them as there is a notification in mailbox too.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Yes Saroja I can always do that. But that will only add to the existing inconvinience.
    Why would you all suggest on increasing inconvinience?

• Sign In to post your comments