You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the word equivalent to the English word Tsunami

Members,
    It would be interesting to know the words equivalent to Tsunami in our Indian languages. We Indians speak too many languages, and every language is expected to have the word equivalent to Tsunami in our dictionaries. ISC has representatives from various states of India. Let us start getting the Tsunami equivalent.

To start with Tamil - Tsunami is known as "AAZHI PERALAI" (Aazhi means Sea, and Peralai means huge waves)
    Tsunami is a Japanese word, there is no English equivalent. This word has been accepted in English language.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha,
    Agreed. You are from Bengal. What is the Bengali word for Tsunami like we have a word in Tamil?

No life without Sun

Peralai is just high tide. Isn't Tsunami just very high tides ? Then any language can portray Tsunami.
    By the way, why are you so obsessed about Tsunami?
    We have different words in different languages for cyclone but no language can actually explain Tsunami though it has been occuring since ages.
    Tsunami itself means "harbor waves".
    I don't think you are going to get an answer to your query.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Some words cannot have the equivalent meaning or words in other language. However we can zero upon the nearest word or meaning for Tsunami in English. For Telugu Tsunami can be termed as Rakshasa Alalu.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. SuN: There is no Bengali word for Tsunami. By the way, 'AAZHI PERALAI' is not a word, it is a phrase consisting of two words. This means there is no word in Tamil also to indicate Tsunami.

My wife has taught me that Japan witnesses very frequent earthquake and Tsunami due to its geographical position, probability of friction of two geographic plates, etc. So, they have developed a word for this natural phenomenon. As England doesn't witness very frequent earthquake/Tsunami (it is rarest of the rare), so there is no English word.

I am Partha, not Partham!

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Mr.SuN, you are focused on Tsunamis this month. Hope it never becomes true. Tsunami from Japanese means harbor waves, which itself is not very accurate. Seismic sea waves looks like the apt alternative term Tsunamis.
    There are some events called Meterological tsumanis (metetotsunamis) giant waves, not as catastrophic as tsunamis, around the world these have many names. 1.Rissaga-Spain, 2.Abiki-Japan, 3.Seebar-Finland, 4.Sciga - Croatia, 5.Milghuba-Malta

Aazhi Peralai is the equivalent word for Tsunami. In Tamil Literature it is quoted. There are other words like 'Kadal Seerram" which is due to high waves just reaching the shore without any damage to the people and their property on the shore. So, Aazhi Peralai is the proper and most equivalent word for Tsunami. I said the sea with huge waves. Huge could not be measured and said. Even Dhanushkodi was submerged due to Tsunami (Aazhi Peralai) which we did not know what was Tsunami then.
    So take it for granted that Tsunami in Tamil is AAZHI PERALAI

No life without Sun

Natarajan,
    I wonder. If Spain, Finland, Croatia and Malta can have their own words to equal Tsunami, why not we Indians have a Hindi name or the languages of the states having a sea coast.

I don't know what made me to think lot about Tsunami in this November. Hope there won't be a Tsunami next month.

No life without Sun

I think in Telugu we can call it as tuphanu. Tsunami is also a kind of cyclone and hence I want to use the same word what we use in Telugu for cyclone and that is TUPHANU. Many may not agree. But for a common man, it makes no difference between cyclone and Tsunami. If excess water from rivers comes out of it is known as VARADALU in Telugu.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments