You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you know the reasons behind various Train Horns ? Read this interesting submission.

We are all fascinated by the trains journey and the children are thrilled to hear the big horn sound created by trains. But there are meaning for each type of horns being given by a train.

One short horn signifies that the train has entered the yard or the station
    Two short horns is the caution to the guards that the train is about to leave.
    Three short horns are blown in case of emergencies. Caution to guard to use vacuum break
    Four short horns signifies that the train is in trouble and it wont move further
    Two short and one long horn denotes that some one has done chain pulling to stop train.
    If the train blows long horn that signifies that the train wont stop at that station
    Two horns simultaneously used before passing railway crossing
    Two long horn and one short horn is used to signify that the train is changing tracks
    If six times short horns are blown, that signifies the train in real danger.

Hope the information were new and useful to our members.
    Nice information about the horn pattern, I've always wondered about train horns that go for a long time, i thought it's a warning of speed, now I've learn't that it means no stopping. These horn noises are very loud and I'm sure it would have some impact on the hearing of the railway staff who have to be exposed to this regularly for many years. There many be some pattern of horn sounds when the driver sees any obstacle on the tracks.In western countries the noise level is around 90 decibels, in India its said to be around 125 decibels and hence many people compalin to reduce the noise levels.

Good piece of information shared by Mr. Mohan. I got to realize the various horns being played and their roles in the train and their working. Yes, whenever a train gives its horn, it feels so good, when it is about to leave the station. We are in a happy mood that yes we are going to start the journey and enjoy the outside scenario. Mostly the horn was given, we only understand this part that train will leave. But, this gives us more knowledge about the different ways in which it is played and what does it mean.
    Do what inspires you !!

Yes, the information is new to me. It is nice to know such things as it makes us observant the next time we hear the train horns.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Mohan has shared a good information. After reading this thread we can decode the horn sounds of the train and we can understand what happened or what is going to happen. A good piece of information. Whenever the trains stop in between two stations because of signal problem, before it is going to start again, the driver gives along horn. All the people will run to the train and get into it. So I was thinking that Longhorn is an indication of train starting but this post says it is to change track. Probably the train may change the track whenever it stops somewhere and starts back. I don't know. But that horn is helpful to all the people who got down the train as it was stopped there without any station. The information is new to me. I never read anywhere or nobody told me. Thanks to the author.
    drrao
    always confident

The thread of Mr. Mohan has reminded me the classes on 'Operating' which I had to undergo at Zonal Training School (ZTS), Bhuli, Dhanbad, Eastern Railway. We, the trainees, had to learn the meaning of all these signals, but I had forgotten after 28 years.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha even Hyderabad has one Zonal Railway training Institute which is very near to my house , that imparts training on signalling system.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is really a news to us. Though I have travel widely in trains, I have not noticed even single horn with meaning. But planning hear the horn in future and share to others. Thanks to author.

Many people living close around the train stations have an issue with the regular loud noises from trains coming in and going out. Have any of you had any such issues?

Very good piece of information about the train horns. I think all these horn signals are for the railway staff and the passengers, but nothing to alert the movement of personnel and animals on the railway track like we use our horns to alert the vehicles and the public on the road. Is it not, Mohan?
    No life without Sun

Since trains go on the track and not amidst public , those horns are specific signals to the rail staff and that is required for smooth function of railways.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thanks Mohanji for the information!
    I think, I learned this somewhere in my Engineering class

Logically I know that there will be communication codes. I have also heard different types of hooting sounds given by the engine driver.
    Travelling for many years, in the local trains in Mumbai, by habitually hearing them every day, I was able to understand them then.

But I do not have a systematic list of them. I am not sure whether the same is used in the case of local trains and mail/express trains. If this information is from an authorised or official source, then I will keep it as a reference material.

• Sign In to post your comments