You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Village markets are coming back in Kerala

Recently a thread on Mall culture appeared in this forum. Now there is a news that in Kerala the Govt. is all set to encourage village markets. To begin with a thousand such markets are planned.In the beginning this market will concentrate on agricultural products produced in the locality using organic manure. This market will have organically cultivated vegetables, fruits, tubers and food grains. These products will be collected from farmers who produce them domestically, giving them fare price for the products.
    In olden days, about 50 to 60 years back in most of the villages in Kerala there were no permanent markets. Weekly once their products would be brought to a common place and sales organized. Together with the agricultural products other household utensils and food related stationery items would be available in the market. The present attempt on the part of the Govt. will perhaps revive the good old system. In such a system the establishment cost will be very less and thereby the products can be made cheaper. Customers will definitely prefer this temporary Malls.
    It is found to be a good initiative, avoiding middlemen ensure fair price for the consumer. But, what about the production cost of the organic vegetables? I do not know.
    I think, Kerala people will send Lulu back to the Arab world!

It is good that Kerala government is bringing in village markets. This is good that there are will not be any middlemen. The producers will sell and the consumers will purchase. This is quite good. In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana also we have these markets known as Farmer's markets. This will happen once in a week in many localities of cities and towns. People will go there and purchase. All types of fruits and vegetables are available at a cheaper rate. This concept was introduced when Mr Naidu was the Chief Minister for combined AP. It will be very encouraging for both sellers and buyers. It is good that Kerala is going that path.
    drrao
    always confident

That is a good initiative on the part of our government. This avoids middlemen and people can also have some good food at a reasonable rate when it is directly purchased from the farmer.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Good that villages are given priorities now a days. Village is the epicenter of producing agricultural products like Rice, wheat, pulses, vegetables and other crops. Normally a farmer has been towed by the brokers at the Marketing office set up by the government and they willfully down play the rates of the commodity bought by the farmer and thus a situation is created in such a way that instead of taking away the materials back, the farmer has to force sell his products at cheaper rates suggested by brokers. Many farmers not even get their cost price back and thus they are pushed into loss and cannot payback the crop loans. So I strongly welcome the village markets proposed by the Kerala government which will give sweeping powers to farmers to sell directly to the customers and thus they get the good rate with profit. A smile on each face of the farmer can be seen hence forth and I appreciate if other states also follow this.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Great news to bring back the village market. One thing I always like about such initiatives is that the business and the profits we generate goes to the local population, like how things were in the past. We need to sustain our own local sellers and shops rather than a MNC and business houses who can easily do without our purchases. In Bangalore, there are often street markets held in various areas wherein people get their produce from near by villages and sell them on simple platforms. They also bring traditional snacks of puffed rice,dry savories that are really good. It will certainly be a revival of the local markets wherein we can do away with fancy labels, no elaborate packing (like buying a pear in the supermarket with two layers of paper wrapping) no fancy carry bags and certainly the price would be better (except for organic items which would be little expensive). A couple of months back we bought groundnut oil that's pressed by the traditional manner and not refined, it does taste different.

In Bengal, the weekly markets are called 'hut'. We have read many beautiful poems romanticizing the concept of 'hut'. The 'hut' could be seen in every rural area of Bengal till the end of eighties. With the spread of technology, development of communication and transport, the rural weekly market has been losing its importance. Now, very few young people of Bengal (even in rural areas) know what weekly market is.

I feel really happy that this weekly market has been returning to Kerala.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It is a good move but should survive permanently. Change of government should not affect this village market, like Tamilnadu suffered. In Tamilnadu, Uzhavar Sandhai(Farmers Market ) was introduced by Dr M Karunanidhi, and was shelved by Dr J Jayalalitha. Anyway, Kerala is not like Tamilnadu. I hope the village market will be glorified.
    No life without Sun

I have good experience of Village hotels in Jeddah overall good veg and nonvegetarian food available there but only one issue is that they use the same curry in all vegetable. Taste point of view Aryas and India Gate restaurant is good for Indian in Jeddah KSA.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

Santosh,
    Village market is different from village hotel.

No life without Sun

Old wine in new bottle. Weekly or bi-weekly markets were very common in earlier days. It was very nice experience to 'go to the market' every Friday, Tuesday or Wednesday to buy fresh vegetables and many other agricultural and village produces. It was on these days that people both buyers and sellers from nearby places arrive at central place market and trade goods.

The market days in those times were also occasion for meeting and exchanging news and gossip in respective places. Apart from agricultural products sellers of rat poison, cottage products, home remedy medicines, carpentry, smithy and stone products, hand-loom cotton clothes etc also used to be there. There used to be the service providers 'parrot fortunetellers', ear cleaners too.

In Tamil Nadu we have places name like Monday Market, Friday Market, Velli Santhai etc.denoting the market days of those places.

In our place the large open area of Market place was changed to a shopping complex building with many shop rooms. But most of the are now used as offices, tutorials. Vegetables are now sold in shops and Malls every day. Truckloads arrive every day. So I feel there will not be a resuming of the good old Week Market Days.

• Sign In to post your comments