You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can anyone explain these?

1. Turkey is a well-known bird. In India, we call it 'turkey' in almost every Indian language including Hindi. But why turkey is called 'hindi' in the Republic of Turkey (the country)?

2. 'Ananas' is called 'ananas'/'anaras' or similarly sounded word almost everywhere in the world. But why do British people call it 'pineapple'?There is no similarity between apple and pineapple.

3. Why Arabic people pronounce 'Pakistan' as 'Bakistan' or 'Pepsi' as 'Bebsi'?

Can any Member explain these peculiar facts?
    I find the first one interesting and a new information. It prompts for further reference for more details.

Regarding the second, similar words and names are there in many languages too. For example there is a plant called 'Kadalaadi' in Malayalam. 'Kadal' denotes sea. But the plant grows deep in the mainland and has no resemblance or relevance to sea.
    For the third point, when we pronounce the names from other languages, there will be some influence of the mother tongue, unless very consciously corrected. Many examples can be given from our own country.

Fact one was the most interesting.
    We call Turkey a Turkey because Turkey is a native bird of America. It was brought to the attention of the world in some 18 th century.
    It resembles the "hindi" of country Turkey so Whiteman called it a Turkey.
    As for the "hindi" name, Turkey is very close in Greece and the word 'hen' is a Latin word.
    So hindi probably came from ten.
    But Turkey and Hindi aren't the same I believe.

Same goes with pineapple, a south American fruit, brought to the world in 17th century.
    British called it pineapple based on the looks and its sweet taste. The Latin called it Ananas.
    It was probably brought into India by Portuguese first or French first. Because they had dominion over south America while British took the north. So we adopted the name ananas before pineapple.
    Just the matter of timing.

Third one, many languages don't pronounce P when it comes as first letter. For an instance, even Tamil. It doesn't affect the pronunciation much either.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Mr. Aditya Mohan: I haven't understood. "We call Turkey a Turkey because Turkey is a native bird of America"-What does it mean? And why do the people of Turkey (a country) call this bird 'hindi? Any answer?

Why do the British call 'Ananas/Anaras' pineapple? Is there any similarity between apple and pineapple? Both are totally different types of fruits.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Maybe you misinterpreted or misread my response Partha.

Turks had guinea fouls in their nation, which was known all around the world. In India we call them country hen.
    In 15th century when Portuguese and French reached North America, they encountered a new bird which looked like guinea foul from Turkey. So they called it Turkey-hen.
    Then when this bird was introduced to world a century later. When it reached Turkey, people called it Indian or Hindi, because everyone had a popular misconception that North America was India.
    Thus famous Turkey became Hindi in Republic of Turkey.
    I did a little research on last part later.

As for the pineapple question, English call it a pineapple based on it's taste and looks..
    French meant to call it the same thing.
    Anana is genus name of pine. Nanas means excellent fruit.
    French gave the world its pineapple.
    So many European countries call it ananas.
    But English stick to the easy name.
    Maybe they found it hard to pronounce.

Nevertheless I learnt so much today thanks to this thread.

#617460: That is my question. Pineapple and apple have no similarity-either in look or in taste. Then why did the British chose this word 'pineapple'?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

It depends on what you call a pine. There are different kind of pines, maybe one of them looks like pineapple.

So many new facts from this thread. The Europeans gave the name pineapple based on its resemblance to a pine cone. Mr.Partha, If you check an image of the Coulter Pine cone and pineapples you'll find the similarity.
    I never knew that Turkey was called 'hindi'.

• Sign In to post your comments