You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The well water is well for all uses

At one time well water was good enough to use for multiple purposes, but not so today. What's your opinion on this?

In our childhood days, we were having a water well in our house premises. We used to draw water from that well as and when required. I remember taking bath near the well by drawing water with the bucket. In the winter season when we draw the water freshly the water is not very cold and we used to feel a little warm with water. At the time of summer, the water in the well is not hot and we used to enjoy the bath with that water. These days if we draw water from our overhead tank it will be very cold or it will be very hot based on the atmospheric conditions. That is the difference between water from well and water from the overhead tank. Those days there are no mineral water plants or RO plants. My mother used to filter that water while drawing itself from the well by keeping a cloth on the vessel in which she was collecting the water. That was the drinking water. So I feel well water is well for all uses in those days.
    Earlier the main sources for water were, including drinking water were rivers and wells.
    However urbanisation and people's preference for modern and private life led us to avoid rivers and at many places even perennial wells were closed. Slowly this led to tap water and 'bottled water' culture even at places where there is no scarcity of water.

About thirty five years ago, I was witness to an interesting but thought provoking situation.. At a quiz contest conducted for small children, a question was asked 'where from do you get water'. The children coming from rural side answered mentioning river, ponds, wells ,sea, fields, water pots etc. which they had sen and experienced. But those from city could answer only as tap, water tank and bore well.

If such a question is asked now I am sure almost all will answer as tap and water-bottle.

Even in places there are well, they do not get replenished properly because the land around them are full with buildings and concrete and cement floors not allowing even a drop of rain water to percolate down. That is hy now there is a great push and pressure for 'rainwater harvesting'.

As children visiting villages, I remember many wells around the houses at the backyard wherein children's bath, water for household work etc would be drawn from the well as and when needs. During summer holidays, It used to be fun tugging on the thick coir rope and drawing the water, we used to drink it without even any filters and never fell sick.
    Sadly now even in our native places many wells have a mesh gate placed and locked as the water levels have gone down drastically. I've rarely seen a well around our houses in the cities, I think one can see it in temples that were built long back with the city grown around it.

An excellent thread. In our childhood I saw well even in South Kolkata. However,it has become very rare even in rural areas of West Bengal. Well water contains many useful minerals and so is beneficial for health. But where can we get well water now?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

In those days the villagers used to fetch water either from flowing streams , ponds or the wells being dug up at the back yard of homes. There are many benefits of open well water. Since the well is open to sky, the germs or other small insects when exposed to sun light, becomes purified and that is why well waters used to be tasty on par with mineral water. For those who does rituals to God on daily basis, they would draw the water from well only and even in these days also many homes in TN are having wells and I also love to draw water and have bath near the wells.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I am a little puzzled about the response given by Mohan - in what way does sunlight purify the water? Does it really kill all germs & contaminants in the well water?

I have seen wells on vacation at farm stays and in small towns & villages, but was astonished to see one in a large housing complex in Goa where we had booked a service apartment. It was really quaint to see a well in the small garden there! It was covered with a mesh cover for safety reasons, so that children would not fall in. There was a large well also in the public garden in the centre of the city there, the water of which was used for watering the beautiful flowering plants, trees and shrubs. That, too, was covered with a mesh grate for safety reasons.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Mohanji,
    Your statement "There are many benefits of open well water. Since the well is open to sky, the germs or other small insects when exposed to sun light, becomes purified and that is why well waters used to be tasty on par with mineral water" is not correct.
    Water percolating through the soil got filtered through different soil media. That is why we are getting good water in wells. Now a days, due to excessive use of fertilizers, chemicals are sometimes percolating through the soil and mix up with ground water. So, it is not advisable to use well water directly unless it is tested in an approved laboratory.

It is true that all of us were depending on well water for household purposes including drinking. Of course ponds, rivers, streams, etc.depending on the availability were used for bath. Well water was considered more pure. In those days when a new house is to be built the first thing observed will be the location for the well. Once that is fixed the position for house will be decided. Well would be always on the north or east side of the house. And there would be provision to take water from the well directly to the kitchen. In those days the house compounds would be large in size there would be lots of greenery around. Presence of these trees helped retain rain water beneath the earth, such that the well got water even during summer.
    Now things are different. Each compound will be small and presence of trees will be limited. Hence the well will have water during rain but will dry out during summer. Also the quality of water will not be so good, it may not be potable very often. Hence we have to depend on pipe water supplied by the local authority.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

Well water is the best source of water as it is free from chlorine and similar harsh chemicals. In cities, the main issue we face is the hair loss due to chlorinated water. But if we use well water, as it is naturally fertilized, it does not do any damage to out hair and hence does not result in hair fall. Well water is good for drinking also, provided the well is maintained properly. In some villages, we get to see wells which are filled with tree leaves and other similar wastes, the water from such wells are not at all safe for drinking purpose. To prevent things from falling into the well, people cover the well with nets.

I have personally felt the water from well tastes better than the normal tap water. But now as the population has increased, the number of houses in a compound too has increased. This has increased the number of sewerage holes also. When there are many holes for toilet waste, the water in the well gets contaminated as there should be a minimum distance from the well which cannot be maintained due to the lack of space.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

In the above response by Chitra it is mentioned that the water from well is tastier than that from tap. You are right. Well water from wells in villages are really tasty. When I go to my parental house I drink well water. But one thing we should notice. When I was a child the water was tastier since there were more trees around the area which helped preserve water under the ground. Wells in a compound where there is a snakes groove ( sarppa kavu) water is clean and very much potable.
    Now I am staying within the Kochi city. While constructing a house here I had to dig a well, since there was no pipe connection at that time.
    There was a large pond near my house and because of that well water was potable. But later the pond was filled with earth and water storage was gone for for ever. Soon the quality of our well water became very poor. Clothes washed were showing a darkish colour. It could not be used as drinking water. We started using the water only for irrigation. Even the water supplied by the Water Authority are not directly consumed. Aquaguard filtered water alone is used, that too after boiling.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

• Sign In to post your comments