You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you heard about ‘Buy Nothing Day'?

I came to know about 'buy nothing day' just today only, though I had practised it under compulsion many times.

Many of us would have faced or some may even be facing a probable situation every month. A compelling need to stretch our limited but fixed monthly salary last until next salary. It needs some will power and clear planning. But even then, something can happen and make all these go haywire.
    In those days it was like buying everything needed during the first week after getting salary and then buying nothing a day during the last week before next salary.

But this thread is about the 'Buy Nothing Day' (BND) 2017, observed recently on 25 th November (24 th Nov. in the US).

My search in the internet gives me the following information. BND is observed as protest to rampant conspicuous consumerism, started in1992, and now observed in about sixty countries including US and UK. While in UK, Finland and Sweden, BND is on the last Saturday of November, in US it is observed on the day after Thanksgiving, i.e. on fourth Friday in November.

I think we need Buy Nothing Day in our country too as we now see Mega shopping days on every silly pretext. Then we will have a new opportunity of sending greetings by Whatsapp: 'Happy buy nothing day'!
    Very nice thread. The author clearly narrated the problem that is being faced by a salaried employee. A salaried employee will feel very rich in the first week in the month, the middle class in the second week, poor in the third week and 4th week will be waiting week for the first week of next month.
    I don't know that there is a day called Buy Nothing Day. Anyhow it is good practice that at least one day in a year. The people will understand how to manage a day without going for any purchase.
    We can also decide a day as a no greetings day. So that we at least will have a day without WhatsApp messages which will give us lot of time to spend on other issues.
    I nice information from the author with good description.

drrao
    always confident

This is a new information for me. Thanks to Mr. Venkiteswaran for sharing this information. We must start this movement against rampant consumerism in India also, and people must be made aware of the perils of consumerism. Mindless and limitless consumerism results in debt trap. We must be aware of this.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

For me also this is a new information and by the way buy nothing day would be a loss day for the business and the government wont support such observing day as it will bring loss to the earnings of government too. More over every business wants to improve their sales day by day, and by observing buy nothing day, there would be money flow problem in the economy which is not recommended
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Frist time I'm hearing this, it makes sense if you want to save money or have no spare money in hand.Many times by the end of the month there would already be difficulties cropping up in trying to fulfil our shopping needs and saving money. If for a day or two we can go without any major purchases then it would ease the shortage after a few days. Nowadays people have a variable list of demands to be met along with the rising cost of living. Of course, all of us may not be able to implement this on the same day but we can certainly give it a thought.

Interesting thread. I have not heard about 'Buy Nothing Day'. But it is a good concept especially when there are many shopping malls around us with attractive things and when the prices are increasing. The generation today does not have the habit of saving like the older generation. They too save but will be limited as they give importance to enjoyment and luxuries. Everything is required but at least one day like this might help.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

• Sign In to post your comments