You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Optimism, Pessimism or Realism. Which is your cup of tea?

The day dawns and heralds another day in our lives we look forward with hope that it will be a happy and fruitful day. For some, it brings in the worries, anxiety related to what the day can bring to their doorsteps. All of us are human but our outlooks are different.

Here lies the importance of the threads title, we don't know what is in store but we do know how our approach to life would be. Everyone who has hit a rough patch in life has heard the Optimistic quote 'There is light at the end of the tunnel'. On the contrary, a pessimist would say 'The light at the end of the tunnel is a train hurtling towards you'. But a person who is realistic would say could be both, let's see for a few moments.

Every positive person will optimistically say, 'Hope is eternal' but a pessimistic will say, 'I want to believe in hope but I'm unable to '. A realistic person says, 'Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst'.

Being optimistic keeps you healthy, being pessimistic can have pleasant surprises even if you are wrong but being realistic keep your feet on the ground and in touch with reality.
    Optimism, Pessimism or Realism it all depends on Individual thinking for me I give credence to reality of life. One should not have wrong notions , and expectations of things which cannot be done nor happen. By optimistic it may keep us healthy , by being pessimistic it have pleasant surprises, but nothing can be best than realistic. By being real you are portraying the truth in you and there cannot be iota of doubt. I always attempt work not with winning spree but with the participation attitude and in the process if I win that would be bonus and the attitude gets elated to do further best.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In general people are optimistic about their own affairs, pessimistic in respect of their enemies' affairs and realistic about unrelated matters. This is the ground reality of human beings.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

One should be optimistic in life . Any started with positive note will be completed positively. If you start any work with negative note may go in the other way. So for success we should be optimistic. A person who is very sincere in all situations, in all cases and always will be optimistic in all situations. But many os us will be like a normal man asopined by Partha will be realstic in only unrelated matters. But why should be pasimistic about enemies affairs? I think we will be realistic in all cases.
    drrao
    always confident

Situations make us optimistic, pessimistic, or
    Realistic. If we are in a situation that is favouring us, or something good is happening
    to us we feel nice and optimistic and we think of all positive things, and this is a natural feeling.
    On the other hand if something goes wrong or there are some failures in life, we do tend to become pessimistic. That again isa natural
    feeling. Human beings are emotional and it varies from person to person. Life has ups and downs it is how you take it.
    Realism is living with the realities of life, it can be pessimistic or optimistic.

Realistic optimism is my cup of tea. It will have a tinge of cynicism, obtained from experiences and inference from observations all these years. So for me it is expect the best, but prepare for anything and have a B plan if possible as a cautious optimism.

I think optimism and realism go hand in hand.I mean there are phases in our lives which may tear us apart or they might let down our feelings and for a short period one might feel pessimistic but it is only optimism which lifts us and raises hopes of utopia in us.Optimists have a tendency to see the glass as half-full rather than half-empty whereas optimism along with realism helps us to make our decisions practical.

I feel it all depends on one's situation. I can say I am a mix of all the three. I am optimistic and realistic most of the times but when it comes to certain things I turn out to be pessimistic.

When you have tried for something many times and still you failed to achieve, it makes you pessimistic. At least for me it works that way. Usually I will be optimistic the first time but it changes if failure hits me. So it is the situations which influences me.

In normal situations I am more or less realistic. I have always felt being realistic is better than the other two. At least we have our feet on the ground like the author said. Being pessimistic increases your tension and being optimistic increases your hope. Realistic does not deal with both these, hence we are safe.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Glad to see the replies, most of us prefer realism or optimistic realism, I think this is fair because neither are too stressed or too joyful with high expectations. Let's see what the other feel too.

I am a complete optimist type of person. I always say, let's hope for the best and won't think of what if the reality turned out to be worse. In fact, I would try to run away from the reality if it is worse, although I would not do so. I will struggle, face it. Will always remain hopeful no matter what.
    Do what inspires you !!

• Sign In to post your comments