You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Chemical Disaster Prevention Day December 4th,

Chemical Disaster Prevention Day is observed every year on 4th December to emphasize the importance of chemical safety.
    The world's worst industrial disaster took place on 3.12.1984. In Bhopal from M/S Union Carbide India Limited, accidentally about 40 metric tonnes of Methyl Isocyanate (MIC) is leaked into the atmosphere within half an hour. The poisonous gas has killed almost 3000 people. Around 2,50,000 people were left permanently disabled. Some families completely vanished. After that accident, only Indian government amended many rules and regulations to tighten the industry.
    The Ministry of Environment and forest organised a meet on 4th December 1998, after 10 years of the accident and announced this 4th December as Chemical Disaster Management Day.
    Even after amending many of the acts still we are witnessing many industrial accidents and also the problem of pollution is increasing. All the citizens of India should work towards improving the environment and keep this earth as a safe place to stay.
    And I thought every one has forgotten the Union Carbide chemical leak of Bhopal. Good that 4th Dec is being observed as Chemical Disaster Prevention Day. Why the government and the company has not settled the claim even after 33 years, that shows the attitude towards the affected people, and what is the use of observing such days ? Even courts are not talking about the injustice to the affected families who could not mingle with others nor lead the congenial life of their own. How long this suffering would continue. Is there any end to their plight ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

OMG! That was a holocaust….a genocide…..
    After reading the book 'It was five past Midnight in Bhopal' by Dominic Lapierre & Javier Moro, and by my sheer curiosity, I personally visited the Union Carbide Pesticide Plant site at Bhopal and extensively studied the disaster, talked to many people there, even I personally met the person who conducted maximum autopsy on the victims. I shockingly experienced the world's biggest chemical disaster.
    MIC is a gas for making pesticides, kept in liquid form under freezing condition in huge spherical tanks. As the freezing mechanism failed due to many reasons, the liquid MIC turned to gas and leaked due to pressure buildup. As Dr NVS Rao said,40 MT of MIC were leaked, blinding and killing 3000 people within a short span of time. That was a catastrophe. Medical experts were not knowing what was the antidote for the gas at that time.
    I recommend our friends to read the book to know what went wrong at Bhopal on 3rd Dec 1984 night, how Mr. Warren Anderson, the CEO of the plant ran away from India ,how a passenger train speeded up at Bhopal Railway station without halting, putting all window shutters down, thereby saving more than thousand people…..an interesting reading…
    I thank Dr NVS Rao for his post.

Glad to hear that at least we have a Chemical disaster prevention day in memory of the victims of the Bhopal tragedy. It happened in the night and is one of the world's worst industrial disasters.Unofficial estimates around 8000 deaths initially and another 8000 deaths as an aftermath. Most of it was due to lax rules and safety measures.The company argued about internal sabotage.Warren Anderson, flew to India and was under custody when suddenly he was allowed to leave the country based on some phone calls.He promised to return for the trail but never did. He died on 29th September 2014. In a country like ours, these disasters are more disheartening as generations suffer in silence waiting of relief and grants.

• Sign In to post your comments