You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Is he a friend or enemy?

Today Rahul Gandhi has been formally elected as Congress President. Although there had been some controversies before his formal election, ultimately he has been elected unopposed. After the election, when some reporters asked senior Congress leader about the selection of Congress leader and dynasty politics, he replied: " When Shah Jahan came in the place of Jahangir did any election happen? And when Aurangzeb came in place of Shah Jahan did any election happen? It was known to everyone that the throne of the king will automatically go the heir".

BJP didn't waste any time to latch on this comment. Prime Minister Narendra Modi called the tenure of Rahul Gandhi as Congress President as "Aurangzeb Raj''.

All of us know about the controversy created by Manshankar Aiyar by his infamous ''çhai-walla'' comment in 2014. Congress had to pay a very heavy price. Amidst the controversy of Shahzad Poonawalla, Manishankar Aiyar's present comment strengthens the accusation of BJP about Congress' dynasty politics.

Is he a friend or enemy of Congress?
    Let us pardon the Congress leader who uttered something just to please his leader and ensure his own existence. When a sycophant praises his icon, we cannot look for fact, reason or logic. So let us not take such things very serious.

The point here is that now in our country except for the communists almost all other parties are either family based or individual leader based parties. These parties and their functionaries exist 'at the pleasure and patron' of the unquestioned leader. The elections if at all conducted are just for namesake and publicity. They will be always 'unanimous'.

I am not sure how the BJP will turn to be in future, because now only they have got power. Corruption and greed for power starts only from that. Even in communist parties,if we minutely analyse , we can see that many leaders and legislators are spouses, close relatives, distant relatives of present and former leaders or legislators among themselves.

So when we boast of as the largest democracy, we cannot boast that our political parties have inner party democracy or leaders are elected in a democratic way by free and fair secret- ballot elections.
    We removed the Kings and Queens but have ended up by just transferring power to more number of dynasties practically.

Congress has been in power for more period than any other party in this country and when ever they lost election and without power, they used vent loose talks and these are those results. Now the question is after being elected as the President of Congress party what changes he is going to bring to revive his glory and party's glory. I do not think he had any good performance of the past to cherish and therefore I have a big doubt about its elevation which may bring cheers in Congress cadre and nothing for the politics or the public. He has no match in talking when compared to the oratory skills of PM Narender Modi and I fear Rahul's adviser are miss guiding him in wrong path and that is going to be benefited immensely to the BJP in long run and that is what going to happen this time too. So I find no importance in Rahul elevation.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

But my question is whether any Congress leader can understand that such comments are harming the party. Don't these leader understand that Aiyar has been actually harming the prospects of their own party?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

This is another example of spreading "half-truths".

This is what Mani Shankar Aiyar said. "When Shahjahan took the place of Jahangir, was any election held then? When Aurangzeb succeeded Shahjahan, was any election held then? This was always known that the heir to the emperor will inherit power, although it is another matter if the successors fight among themselves. But, in a democracy, elections are held. I invite [Congress functionary] Shehzad Poonawala to come and file an application to contest the election."

'The last two lines of what Mani Shankar Aiyar said was conveniently left out by the BJP and Prime Minister Modi. The Aurangzeb jab was floated disregarding what Mani Shankar Aiyar actually said.

" Be Good and Do Good "

I am in acceptance with Venkiteswaran. To please the boss, many people talk many things. To give value to those words is of no use. Those talks are only for pleasing somebody. There is no seriousness in those words.
    It is natural in Indian politics only that portion which is useful for them to misguide the people. Nobody will think in which contest and reference those words are used. But they say that this is what he has talked. It is not specific to one party or one leader. It is common to all parties and many leaders. Now Mr Rajiv Gandhi is taking over from his mother. He was in the party for the last 10 years and presently he was the vice president of the party. Shortly he will become the party president once the result is declared officially. Now, what changes we are going to expect from him. Is it possible for him to revive the party and bring the party back to the power is the thousand dollars question now. We may have to wait till 2019 elections will over and results will come. Till such time everybody will go on predicting whatever they wanted.

drrao
    always confident

Mani Shankar Iyer has mentioned that anyone is free to contest against Rahul Gandhi and the election to party president is a democratic process. He has openly invited Poonawala to file his nomination too. The PM Mr.Modi, has taken a jibe against the reference to Aurangzeb, looks like in retaliation to the chai-walla comment. We need to see if there are other rebels behind Poonawala or it's just a single individual crying foul. I think the PM wouldn't have made such remarks, hadn't it been the election run-up to Gujarat. Every party is trying hard to get mileage from the events that happen to portray themselves in good light, this is expected in politics and during campaigns. After many years of dissatisfaction with the party high command, Mr.Rahul Gandhi will have his task cut out once he takes over as party president. He has to keep the ranks in line, please the grass root levels and cull any rebellion, this would be a easier, if the congress registers good victories in Gujarat.

Yes Mani Shankar Iyer seems to be indirectly helping BJP to corner Rahul Gandhi by his non soliciting comments and the high command is also closely watching his moves. He thinks he is talking in favour of Congress but in the long run it actually help BJP.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In simple terms, if Mr.Y keeps criticising or commenting on Mr.X repeatedly trying to passing negative comments and making pointed statements, then Mr.X gets free publicity and Mr.Y becomes known for the wrong reasons. I think this is what is happening with MSI vs NM

He has again done it today! Mr. Aiyar has addressed the Prime Minister as 'neech' (low).
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I just read that Mr.Aiyar has been suspended from primary Congress party membership and Mr.Rahul Gandhi is said to have asked Aiyar to apologise to the PM. If true, Quick move, smart and justified as politics should not get personal and nobody can demean one with such remarks.

I think this comment at this juncture could be a game changer or prospects changer. However Rahul's reported reaction has shows maturity and presence of mind on his part. That may undo much of the damage which Congress would have faced.

• Sign In to post your comments