You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Amusement

Answers to the 'Let’s play the keyboard game'

Refer to the Let's play the keyboard game. As announced, the event is now closed.

Here are the right answers –

1. ACCOUN+_ + LE(when you are liable) accountable Key: (TAB)
    2. HONEYMO + _ +RS (newly married couples) honeymooners Key: (1) one
    3. WHEELB +_ (a vehicle) wheelbarrow Key: (arrow symbol) arrow
    4. DRIF+_ +OD (ideal for best out of waste projects) driftwood Key: (2) two
    5. H+_+ ENS (It intensifies) Heightens Key: 8 (eight)
    6. CARP +_ +S (work with wood) carpenters Key: (enter)
    7. GIRLFRI +_ (Guys look for one) girlfriend Key: (end)
    8. _ +AR (I got married there) altar Key: (alt)
    9. _+ IZER (Death is definitely one) equalizer Key: (=) equal
    10. ¬_ + EKEND ( after a long week) weekend Key: (V) we
    11. _ + HEN (part of the teardrop myth) peahen Key: (P) pea
    12. FAT+_ +D (I guess I understood) fathomed Key: (home)
    13. SEMI +_ (a punctuation) semicolon Key: (:) colon
    14. WIND +_ (The trachea) windpipe Key: (|) pipe
    15. _ + LET (what the doctor prescribed) tablet Key: (tab)
    16. ADOL+ _ ENSE (We have all been through it) adolescence Key: (esc)
    17. DISOB +_ +D (did not listen) disobeyed Key: (I) eye
    18. _+ ICALLY (contests on ISC are held thus) periodically Key: (.) period
    19. TER +¬_ (Dadar and Lokmanya Tilak are one) terminus Key: (-) minus
    20. EXP + _ ITURES (I think everyone should keep a track of these) expenditures Key: (end)

I will announce the winners shortly.

Note: There was a typo in clue 16. It should have read ADOL+ _ ENCE, instead of ADOL+ _ ENSE.
    However, all participants got the word correct and both spellings will be considered when judging the winners.
    Juana. Good. My confusion with item9. Equalizer. Death is definitely one is the clue given. How do you relate death with equal. I say it Zeroiser which means death by zeroising. You may be right with equalizer but not with the clue.
    No life without Sun

Sun

Death is the great equalizer is a very well known expression, used to indicate that death is something which is common to all, irrespective of how much wealth they possess, how literate they are, what post they hold and the like. At death, we all become equal.

I have never heard of death being a zeroiser or even whether there is such a word other than, perhaps, in terms of some mathematical or technical relevance.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I grinned when I saw the answer to No. 12. I gave the atrocious answer of 'Fathead'!! I was literally thinking in terms of a person who does not understand a joke and we refer to him/her as a fathead. Quite funny!

The answer to No.14 was confusing. I did not think of the slash key at all as a pipe (quite unusual, that!) I did some elaborate thinking and looked up the Net for the symbol for 'Pi' and how to get this from the keyboard and, combined this with the letter 'P', gave the answer.

I also took some time to get No.18 right - I was thinking wildly of all sorts of negative connotations, frankly, which Juana may have thought of with regard to official contests, haha!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it did tax the grey cells a little bit. Looking forward to more such 'hatke-se' type of activities.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Vandana,
    VMT for explaining the word equalizer related to death. Zeroiser is also not an incorrect word. At death we all become zero to take our next birth. I thought it in this way as Zero (0)is available on the keyboard..

No life without Sun

It was a nice contest with simple words and few difficult ones for which I had to think and link to get the answers. 11 and 12 were a little confusing for me. Eager to see how many were correct.

Nice to know the answers. I got a few wrong. I couldn't even guess Tablet. How upsetting is that.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Why there is a delay in announcing the results of this contest. It is not a theory to read and decide, but a straight forward answer which should not take time to announce the results.
    No life without Sun

Sun,

It is not just a question of the word answer, but also the keys. That would take time. Besides, what exactly is the rush I cannot fathom. It is barely two days since the contest closed! We should also consider that the contest organizer will have more important things to prioritize and may be in the midst of some unexpected happenings. Do learn the art of patience.

Vandana,
    I am the person who has enough patience and tolerance on this good earth. I think 24 hours is quite sufficient to decide the result. I wonder with the phrase 'Result will be announced 'Shortly'. It is a very simple contest and the answers can be checked with a single look, and result can be announced within one or two hours. As of now , 72 hrs lapsed, and no result is coming out from the author Patience and tolerance has a limit..

No life without Sun

Sun - As Vandana has explained 'death is a great equalizer', is quite a famous phrase.

I have never heard of the term 'zeroiser'. You might be right in your view of thinking of it as a word with a meaning. But, this contest was designed keeping in mind words that exist in the English language.

The results could have been declared within minutes of the contest being closed. But things do not always work as desired. Remember the time when you had to be prodded by a member to declare the results of the 'jallikattu', which you delayed, despite having given a date for the declaration of the results. You cited your inability, even though you were active on the forum, during the said period.

The difference here is that you mentioned a specific date, while I used the term shortly.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments