You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why students fail to ask questions in the class and then repent for not learning properly ?

In every class there are intelligent, average and normal students and not every student gets to understand the teachings made by the teacher. Though a good teacher do ask for any questions and doubts, the students wont respond and seek clarification. But afterwards when they are unable to understand the lesson properly they curse themselves for not having asked the teacher to clarify the doubts once again. Why students fail to ask questions in the class. Are they having a feeling that by asking questions other students consider them weak on the subject ?
    Although all teachers encourage the students to ask question, if all students start following teachers' advice, then there would be no teaching. Throughout the classes, the teacher and students would remain busy in question-answer session. So, such advice is not practical or feasible.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence

Teaching is a two-way process. Teaching and learning should take place simultaneously. Without learning, there is no point in teaching. The teacher can understand whether the student has learned or not by questioning only. Similarly, the students are also expected to get their doubts cleared in the classroom. Unless the students do not ask questions in the classroom, it becomes difficult for the teacher to understand whether they learned anything or not. The best out of the teacher can be extracted only when the students start asking questions. The teacher comes well prepared for the class to be in a position to clear their doubts if any in the classroom itself. The students should always be encouraged to ask questions in the classroom for effective teaching and learning process to take place. Unfortunately, these days the students are not asking any questions in the classroom. They are taking their doubts along with them which makes it difficult for the learning process to take place.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Here I am stressing the point of asking questions which are not understood to them. Even teachers would like to hear questions from students and there cannot be denial from teachers or wastage of time.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is the hesitation the students have will stop them from asking their doubts. Many people think that everybody understood the lesson but I couldn't. If I ask all other students may laugh at us. They think like that and they will not express their doubts. Another point is the student thinks that the teacher may get angry if I ask this doubt. These thoughts also prevent them from asking the questions. Many people do this and afterwards, start worrying about that doubt. If somebody has a doubt and if they are not able to ask in the classroom, it is better they approach the teacher separately when he was in teacher's room and get his doubts clarified. Otherwise, we can't follow his lessons. To avoid this problem many students will go for tuitions. They can ask the teacher these questions very easily in tuitions. Somehow we should get our doubts clarified. We should not go with doubts always.
    drrao
    always confident

If we recollect our schools days and answer this question ourselves, then the answer would be obvious. I think to start with we have a process similar to 'herd mentality' most often in schools, we grow up with the concept that the teacher will speak (teach) and students will listen(learn). Next would come behavioural pattern, when we have a doubt we would look around and realise that no one is asking any question, so better keep quiet.

As we reach higher classes, we have a false perception that asking questions can invite trouble or anger of the teacher. Some of us would have felt, if I ask a question, then others would mock us and we would be the laughing stock of the class. Some of us would have access to tuitions where we would clarify the doubts.

Most of us, as adults would have been to presentations related to work or at scientific sessions at conference. If you recollect, Ironically the speaker or the chairperson would state in the opening remark that, we encourage the audience to ask questions and we would be glad to answer them. I think, we should start this at the school level also.

Children who fail to ask questions would in most of the cases feel hesitant to do that. It could be the case that the child might feel that others would make fun of them even if he asks a silly question. So, out of the hesitation, they stop and have a thought that they would ask it later from the teacher alone.
    Some students just enjoy the class, they are really not interested much in studies and asking questions, so they would be repenting for not asking at the right time. So different students have different perceptions about asking questions.

Do what inspires you !!

• Sign In to post your comments