You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How many of you calling postman/conductors as sir?

It has been noted that many people hesitates to call the people like postman, bus conductor, cab driver etc as sir or brother. I always call the conductors, garbage collectors as 'sir'. I converse friendly with the cab drivers. I believe such action definitely develops cordiality among people each other and will lead a good society.
    I don't call even my boss Sir. That is my style of working. Actually, Sir is a culture left by the Britishers in our country. Why should we call somebody Sir? We can talk to anybody very freely and we can be friends with them. I don't expect anybody to call me sir. I call my driver by name. I call my colleagues by name. Many of them call me also by name. Only a few juniors may use the word, sir.
    Even in many IT industries, this culture is not there. Respecting others is very good and it is required. But at the same time, we need not lose our self-respect. Respect the seniors and other colleagues. be friendly with everybody. Don't shout on people unnecessarily. But don't be submissive to all. It is not required I think.

drrao
    always confident

I found it as a good gesture when you call someone sir who does not work under you. It is thought that the word sir is used only for officers. In many places in north, people with services like postman or milkman or the workers who work for us are called 'Bhaiya ' which means brother. So it does not matter if you call anyone by sir or Bhaiya, as far as we give respect them.
    In all business and official letters too,the word sir is used to address the authority.
    Yes today in many working places, the word is gradually diminishing, and people adress their colleagues whether junior or senior by their names. What about an education centre, we cannot call our mentors by their names. Sir is the most appropriate word for the male teachers and the same applies for female teachers as madam or ma'am.

Thats right, as Pramilakapahi pointed out, it is a very good gesture to speak like that with the people who help us in our daily life. We should always call people like drivers, conductors or sweepers with respect, they will be happy when they see others respecting them. I have a habit of calling them "bhaiya" or "aunty" if she is a lady helper.
    Do what inspires you !!

These are all good to write but rarely practiced. We need not address a postman or a conductor as sir as long as we talk to them in an appreciative manner. I observed that people address others in a polite way. These days no one will tolerate if someone addressed him or her in an impolite way.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I address only my school teachers as Sir/Madam. While I was young, I used to address the drivers conductors, postman and other elders as 'Annachi' in Tamil - means Elder Brother. When I grew old, I address the drivers, conductors, postman and others as 'Thambi' in Tamil - means Younger Brother. Sir is an English word. I substitute it by the word 'Ayya' respectfully. the word 'Ayya' pleases all, the young and the old.
    No life without Sun

I have called and see many calling the bus conductor as 'conductor sir' when they have t take the tickets , have to get the balance change or to remind him about the bus stop they would get down. In Tamil Nadu it is more or less a custom to add a 'saar'(sir) to address anyone with whom we are not familiar.

I don't call the postman or conductors as sir since my early schooling days. I use the term sir if the person opposite to me is a senior citizen, a person who has achieved more than me using right means, a person who is more educated than me or a person who stands tall after a crisis in life. These are people, in my view who are better than me, I personal have a lot of respect for such people as they have done something better using fair means and they give me an idea that I can also do it. The problem with people is that, the moment you use the term sir, some mistake it for our meekness and lower position in society or financially. Such people take advantage of our good nature and try to act smartly with us. It's easy to identify such people and I just move away from them. We live in an era where in the humble or good natured soul is often taken for granted and using these very polite terms can attract the attention of arrogant people.

In our area the post man is a Muslim person so I call him Postman Saab. Like wise most of the conductors on TSRTC are also Muslims and we call them Conductor Saab. So that is equivalent to addressing them as sir in English. Moreover even if we start addressing them as sir, it wont sync with them and they may not reciprocate as we are calling some one else. By the way they are so pleased with us when we have some talk with them. Normally postman wont talk to others as he have little time for dispersing letters. Likewise conductor would be busy on his work and wont give credence to sir or what ever it is.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments