You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Does respect of all religions equally imply dilution of secularism in India?

Do you feel secularism gets diluted due to respect for all religions equally? Share your views on this topic.

I came across an opinion in the forum where it was stated that secularism is diluted as equal respect to all the religions in India. I was aghast after reading this opinion of an educated person.The educated and respectable persons treat all the others equally irrespective of their religion, region, and caste. Do we have to respect all religions equally or not? Is it not a violation of the Constitution if all the religions are not given equal respect? India is a country with people of all religions. The peace and harmony in the country will be well maintained only when we give equal respect to all. I am surprised that there are persons who do not believe in equal respect to all.
    The issue was being discussed in another thread. The author of the present thread asked me to clarify my opinion on this issue. Unfortunately I am presently pre-occupied with official matters and because of the fact that one of my relatives have been admitted to a hospital in very critical condition. So, I have been irregular in ISC and could not clarify my stand.

Today I am expressing my opinion before official meeting starts. Secularism is a western concept, which means separation of religion from the affairs of state. State has nothing to do with religion which is an individual belief. However, Mohandas Gandhi adopted the mantra of 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava' during freedom movement to integrate the followers of all religion in freedom movement. The concept has been proved to be a failure which is proved by Khilafat movement and later by the partition of the country. This is required to be discussed in detail, but this platform is not fit for this purpose.

Mohandas Gandhi tried to change the concept. He had a justification. He tried to integrate all people of the country against the British. However, Nehru continued this flawed concept after independence. India is a country with people of at least eight religions, viz., Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism, Jorastrianism, Sikhism and Judaism. To accommodate all in state affairs would be adisaster. This can be easily undersood from the long list of leaves in Government offices. Every community wants leave for the festivals of that community. So, this concept ('Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava') is inherently flawed in the affairs of state.

Nowadays, this concept is being blatantly misused by the appeasement of the followers of two religions by most of the political parties.

Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

The thread is about whether all religions should be given equal respect or not? It is not about Gandhiji, Nehruji or Khilafat movement.I am not interested in a response unrelated to the content.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

All people irrespective of their caste, creed or religion should be treated equally. I think this is very clear. But is it happening in our country now? All Knowledge members can appreciate. A student who secured 90% marks is going round and round for a seat in a good college which he is not getting because of his caste. Is it the fault of the student he is born to the parents from that caste. At the same time, a candidate who got 40% marks after studying in a good school with his father's hard earned money as District collector will be getting a seat under the particular quota of a caste. If somebody calls it as the secularism, sorry, I will not talk on that subject. Like these many cases are there which can be discussed wherein a real merit candidate denied progress because he is from a particular religion or caste. So many people are feeling that the secularism in India is not following the definition of secularism in its true spirits.
    drrao
    always confident

"I came across an opinion in the forum where it was stated that secularism is diluted as equal respect to all the religions in India. I was aghast after reading this opinion of an educated person."-An educated person comes to the conclusion after considering the historical perspective of an issue. Khilafat movement provides historical background of failure of 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava" (respect to all religions) theory in freedom movement of India.

So, when an educated and informed person discusses this particular issue, he/she would bring historical perspective. I don't know whether any person who believes in rhetoric and blindly follows a narrative, without delving deep into the issue, is informed, or not.

# 620010: The matter being discussed is about religion. Why bring caste into it? You can raise a separate thread about it which was discussed many times in the forum. Secularism has nothing to do with the caste of an individual. I want your opinion on the subject of this thread.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

#620017:
    Mr .Partha, you have not given the direct answer to the questions raised by me. You are still trying to avoid answering my question. The question is simple and straightforward. Do we have to respect all religions equally or not? Answer if you can in a direct manner. If you cannot give a direct answer say so and leave it.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Sir, I have given a comprehensive reply to your question. I am afraid you have failed to understand it. We have to separate the affairs of state from religion. Whether a person respects all religion or not, is his/her private affair. This should not matter in the affairs of state. State must provide equal opportunity to all and should not appease any community.

What is the meaning of Secularism? Is our country is really secular? If the secular mean to give reservation to minority (which they are not minority in real sense) or to get the vote appease them. Then I am sure we should not even try to talk about secularism. The history shows how to get the vote and government the political party mostly Congress has misused it.

Secular meaning each religion should get equality. Do we have equality in real sense as far as India is concerned? Recently congress try to get vote in Gujrat supporting caste culture. Do you say this is done in a country where we shout "we are secular"?

#620050:
    I cannot understand unless the answer is straightforward. I cannot interpret your view. Regarding appeasement of any community, can you give examples if any? I am very interested to know as this was mentioned time and again.

" Be Good and Do Good "

As far as I know, secularism is that all people will be equal. So there is nothing wrong with talking about caste. There are some religion-based reservations also in our country. There is no need further discussion on this matter. You can see the history of reservations, This point is clearly mentioned in #620051.
    drrao
    always confident

If you consider the statement alone without any bias, then it should wrong. When we respect or treat all religions equally then it should promote secularism. The matters of faith or religion should not hamper the work of the Government or its policies for the people.

But can we do it? is it so simple? The real problem at least in our country are the other major issues that come along with it. We cannot by any means make an unbiased opinion about religion and secularism because caste and politics are the other two issues that go hand in hand in any given equation.

There would be programs made for a section religion, increased perks given for a religion, jobs reserved for a particular region and funds earmarked for a particular region or area where one religion accounts for the least number of inhabitants.

The next issues would be people in power or politics who want to pacify one religion to be their good books, dole out benefits in the guise of development of minority to an extent that it is obviously mean anything but secularism. In reality, it means appeasing members for favors at a later date. Hence we would be discussing for a long time wherein our views would be polarised and biased for or against a few particular religions and political parties.

#620058: I reiterate that caste has nothing to do with secularism. The Constitution of India does not allow any religion-based reservations. If there are any, specify them.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

KVRR
    According to me, here, secularism is not diluted it is interpreted in different ways.
    Secularism means:
    • A principle that reject religion
    • An attitude that religion have no place in civil affairs
    • The state of being secular.

Educated people like our forum members can interpret this in many ways.

For example: Consider this statement:

'It is not important what you look at but what you see'

In a positive sense, it can be interpreted as you can see a beauty in everything or a magic in everything.
    In a negative sense, it can be interpreted as I only choose to see what I want. I will discard everything I don't wish to see.
    Here, problem is with interpretation.

I love chocolates and ice creams!

It is one thing respecting your fellow human beings and completely another respecting an idea. Religions which interfere with your way of living don't deserve respect and need to be chastised. Loudspeaker recitals, wasting of life and food in name of sacrifice and the common degradation of women in all religions are reasons why all religions need to be criticized and forced to make improvements.
    A real secular country means a country where Government doesn't participate in promoting or demonizing any religion. But in all honesty, can that be really said about India?
    A truly secular state should strive to make religion a private affair and keep constitution above everything else. If any religion steps on the constitutional rights of its followers, the State has a responsibility to protect that right and take corrective steps.
    If respect means giving a free hand to the tyranny of religions, then yes, it does imply the dilution of secularism in India.

In the thread "Gujarat elections - defeat of minority appeasement model & pseudo-secularism?", I gave the following response:
    "Secularism means separation of state's affairs from religion. In India, it was diluted as equal respect to all religions. Later it has been changed to appeasement of two particular religions for the sake of votes. "

Needless to state, I was discussing definition of secularism. Secularism is the state policy of a country or nation-state. I mentioned that in case of nation-state of India, the definition has been diluted.

The present thread is based upon my response as mentioned above. The author of this post states: "The educated and respectable persons treat all the others equally irrespective of their religion, region, and caste."

It is a classic example of twisting statement. Was I talking about a person, or about a nation-state?

• Sign In to post your comments