You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why can't we say hi when we lift the phone?

Yesterday there was a new Telugu Movie Audio release function as the Movie name is called Hello The Megastar of Tollywood had given a vital information why we say hello when we lift the Phone because the phone Inventor Grahambel wife name is 'Hello' as Grahambell invented the first time he tests speaks the first word Hello(his wife name) in phone and thereafter everybody, when lifting the phone, says hello that is the reason we say Hello.Do you agree with this?Is there any other story behind it.Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.
    It was a only some months back that I knew about the said connection of 'Hello' to be name of the lady love of Graham bell. I read it in a students' section column in a newspaper.

But when we talk to a known person, either knowing the caller ID or identifying the voice, we also address by how we usually address them.Example 'Ha bolo bhai'.'Ha beta bol' , 'Yes ji' etc..

Now the Google voice assistance we are to say 'OK Google' . Such things are actually made so for convenience of uniformity. As they are used universally, we need customise it or go behind the reason and logic of every such thing.

Well over the years we have been habituated to use the world hello while lifting the phone and that has been universally accepted too. Who ever be at the other end, unless and until both says hello the conversation wont takes place. Regarding replacing the world hello with hi, it seems to be not syncing . Normally when we meet the people in person , we shake the hands and say hi but I fear we may not get the same word while lifting the phone to exchange pleasantries That is why I like the North Indians saying either Ram Ram or Jai Sri Krishna while lifting phone which is very nice,
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Don't you think "hi" is something you say to people familiar? And also it is highly informal.
    Anyone could be calling you. So saying "hi" is not an option.
    And also, when a person says hello, it becomes difficult for you to say "hi".
    Some terms are here for universal comfort.
    Hello is known to people of every language.
    I don't think non-English speakers know "hi".
    And the most interesting thing, you only say "hi" to someone when: 1. You meet them in person 2. You meet them after a very long time.

Hi is a short of Hey I believe. Hey is used to grab attention. So hi is only useful to grab attention. Using it while calling is weird.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Good information. I never knew that Hello is the name of Grahambel's darling lady. Most of the telephone users may not be aware of the name of the inventor of phones, but they utter Grahambel's wife's name each day. Long live Hello.
    No life without Sun

This story is very well known to me long back. The wife of Grahambel asked her husband to see that her name will be always in use in the world. By that time he was busy in the process of inventing this phone. Once he invented the phone he wanted to test it. He kept one phone in their bedroom and the other phone in the far end of the house. Then he asked his wife to lift the receiver once the sound comes. From the other end, he tried and she lifted the phone as he knows his wife lifted the phone he knows her name he called Hello. From then onwards whatever phone comes he started calling Hellow. Like this, it has become a common practice and bel was able to fulfil the wish of his wife also.
    Calling Hi is not correct in phone why because generally we say Hi to our friends and younger people but we can't say high to our elders. So calling Hi may not be proper.

drrao
    always confident

We have been accustomed to say 'hello' when picking up the phone. Many people says 'Radhe Krishna' ,
    'Radhey Shyam' hare ram, ram ram. It is heard that Late Mr M,G.R, former chief Minister of Tamilnadu used to tell 'Vaazhga valamudan. (meaning: 'live pleasantly'). But once mobile has come into vogue, the word hello also getting vanished and they call other other side as 'engeda irukke?' which means 'where are you?'
    My father used to tell over phone after dialing, 'naanthaan pesukiren' which means " I am only speaking'. We used to comment him jovially (as my father never took seriously if we comment),'appa it is not the phone with camera, how the other side person knows you?.
    According to me it is good to tell the name who is picking up the phone and asking the other side.

Sorry to point out that part of the thread is wrong. Hello is an odd name even for old American language. I browsed a bit and found that Alexander Graham Bell's wife was a lady named Mable Hubbard NOT Hello. It was Thomas Edison who suggested the use of Hello. When the telephone was being used initially, the line would be open at both ends continuously and people would always not be around the phone when someone from the other side wanted to speak. So initially a ringing bell was suggested, then Edison suggested Hello, Bell suggested Áhoy'. Finally, Hello was adopted. Hence Hello became the popular term when people spoke into the phone. Now we can see who's calling and answer by their name or salutation, yes sir or yes Mr.X please go ahead. Earlier days without caller ID, we would be speaking to a stranger on the other end and the term Hello? became a way to address with an understood question mark at the end.

• Sign In to post your comments