You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Unwanted problems with wrong pronunciation.

In India Today of yesterday there was a news item about a Rajasthan BJP Minister who landed in an unnecessary problem due to his wrong pronunciation of "best". The Labour and Employment Minister in the Rajasthan Government, Mr. Jaswnt Singh Yadav, was praising the Prime Minister in a public meeting. While saying"best Prime Minister" it seems he said "bhrust Prime Minister". This unintentional pronunciation mistake took everybody by surprise. It seems the word "bhrust" means "corrupt" in Hindi. The video is going viral. Hope the innocent Minister will not be taken to task by the BJP. One should be careful with pronunciation as the meaning may change with wrong pronunciation.
    Pronunciation is very important. Any mistake or difference in pronunciation will create a lot of understanding problems. The accent will vary from place to place. The slang will also vary. This difference makes the language very difficult to understand.
    One of my cousins was staying with her family in Jhansi. Her husband was working in railway. She knows only Telugu at that time. When her husband was not there in the house some guests came to their house. If somebody comes to our house it is general practice to invite them with a Telugu word " RANDI". The meaning of this word in Telugu is please come. But in that area of Jhansi, the word is having a different meaning I think, they were a little happy. She could not understand the reason for their unhappiness and informed the same to her husband in the evening. The husband explained the reason for their unhappiness and then onwards she stopped using that word and started telling Please come if anybody comes to the house.

drrao
    always confident

Mr. KVRR,
    I agree. Wrong pronunciation of words leads to problem. In this event related to Rajasthan MP, I wish to know whether the MP was addressing in Sudh Hindi or in pure English. If it was in Sudh Hindi, the MP should be booked. It it was in pure English, the MP should be excused and advised to improve his pronunciation.

No life without Sun

I do agree with the author you should be careful before you speak especially when your a public figure and even think and talk. One small example Bollywood actor Aamir Khan had a big issue with the word intolerance. Minister talking by mistake and sleeping in public function is very viral nowadays because technology is grown so much that such pronunciation goes viral fast.

Such embarrassments often happen when people try to please everyone and try to 'show-off or please their leaders with superlatives. The common mistake would be trying to speak/pronounce English along the lines of their mother tongue. Such embarrassments are difficult to avoid unless they politicians stick to their own languages. What is more humiliating is watching clips of leaders and politicians who do not know English but try to speak in an interview with broken English and half sentences. I think the best way is for the local unit or PA is to observe once a minister or a local leader is elected, they can arrange for the basic conversational knowledge to be imparted to people who fall short. They should also be aware of similar sounds words like lose vs loose, affect vs effect, know vs no. Glad that it was not an international event, it would have been more embarrassing.

Slip of the tongue is a curse. Sometimes such slips occur at the most unexpected and inopportune moment causing great damage. That is why we are taught to pray for blessing us to stimulate and utter 'right word at the right time'.
    Usually we say we need 'Saraswati kadaaqksh' or Goddess Saraswati 's blessings for that. Not just words and pronunciation, but even the intonation is important.

In olden days in traditional gurukula system students were taught and told to chant the Saraswati Gayatri to prevent such slips and get only right words at the right moment. Even now some parents teach their children this.

I completely agree with you sir, it is very important that we take care of the pronunciations we use for any particular word. Hope the current scenario with the minister gets resolved as just a mistake in pronunciation. But we really need to be careful while speaking English, it should be very much clear and complete to everyone. Sometimes even half-spoken sentences create confusions and misunderstandings. So, we all need to take care of that.
    Do what inspires you !!

Wow. Just wow. Is saying best that hard?
    I think the mistake was intentional here.
    That is just my view though.
    But why do we have variations in pronunciation? Mother tongue influence.
    There are sounds and words which your mother tongue don't have. So while trying to speak those words you end up messing your pronunciation.
    For an instance people from Kerala say Wahl instead of wall.
    And people from Tamil nadu say apsconding instead absconding.
    These things can only be overcome by thorough practice.
    Overcoming the mother tongue influence is the last but one of the most essential part of speech.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Aditya. the gentleman in question may be suffering from cold or something which made him pronounce like that. Maybe he wanted to say like that also which may not be the case in my opinion.
    My belated birthday wishes to you. I wish you many more happy returns of the day. My best wishes and blessings to you.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Although most of the Indians write fairly good English, the pronunciation is typically regional. Every Indian, while speaking English, succumbs to the habit of using regional pronunciation. Every Indian mocks other Indians'pronunciation, without realising that he/she himself/herself is committing the same mistake in a different manner.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

It is not the question of mocking. The change in pronunciation totally changed the meaning of what was intended to be said. For the information of Mr.sun, the gentleman in question is speaking in English.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I would like to say that wrong pronunciation of words alters the intended meaning of the words in the same language. In that respect, Tamil and Malayalam suffers lot with pronunciation of words.
    For e.g. the alphabet L (L and Zh) is the most affected alphabet in Tamil and Malayalam.
    Palam(Strength) and Pazham(Fruit) - Malai(Mountain) and Mazhai(Rain) - Moolai(Brain) and Moolai(Corner). Also a third L available for confusion. Vellam(Flood/water) Vellam(Gud)
    One L is pronounced with our tongue stretched straight. Another L is pronounced with the tongue semi-folded. The L(zh) is pronounced by fully folding the tongue inward.

L is a much complicated Alphabet to the Tamils and Malayalis.

No life without Sun

Although there would be a difference in pronunciation of English words at various regional levels people in public life and even we when interacting with strangers and new acquaintances should be very careful especially when we have an audience or giving a speech.

After reading this hilarious post my thoughts went in to a whats app message joke which was done by two women, one Malayalam and other a Tamil. Malayalee women asked what her husband us doing. For that she said that he is a engineer. And in return Tamil women asked her what her husband does. She said oditar. What ? He ran away and deserted you. For that the Malayalee women again clarified with smiling face that is oditar. Then with great difficulty she convinced to convey that her husband was a auditor and not oditar in Tamil which means ran away from the home. So pronunciation makes difference.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments