You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Today, 22nd December is the National Mathematics Day

From the year 2012 onwards India Government have decided to celebrate the 22nd December as National Mathematics honouring late Sreenivasa Ramanujan, the greatest of all Mathematicians ever lived. He was born on 22nd December 1887 in Tamil Nadu (Kumbhakonam). He could not complete his college education. But later he became a Fellow of Royal Society (FRS) that too at the age of 31. Unfortunately, he died at the age of 33. He used to make mathematical statements and using two or three steps came out with answers. Several of his conjectures were proved by other Mathematicians taking years for solving them. Even now there are people working on them.
    In India there were several mathematicians, but many of them are not known outside. Only recently the Kerala based Sangama grams Madhavan's name got recognised. There are several other such great names among our Mathematicians.
    Let this celebration help to throw light on these unknown personalities in the field of Mathematics.
    Happy National Mathematics day for all. Srinivasa Ramanujam is the very well known mathematician who solved many complicated issues very easily in one or two steps. India is having a very good name for mathematicians. The number Zero is derived in India only. The subject has taken completely a new turn with the invention of "Zero",
    But many of these great Scientist in India go unnoticed. We should honour all those who are good in mathematics and brought laurels to India by their valuable works in our country. Thanks to the author for raising this thread which reminded all of us about this valuable mathematician and about National Mathematics Day.

drrao
    always confident

Nice information by the author I didn't know this. Happy Mathematics Day and I even wish to congratulate mathematician teachers and professors. Actually, everything that goes in our daily life will have some or the other mathematical calculations have you ever observed. I am happy to know this day and I will mark in my diary where I have written most of the important days to remember.

Maths has become compulsory and integral part of our life on daily basis and great that today we are remembering Ramanujam and National maths day is being celebrated.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Just for information: To know more in detail about the Great Srinivasa Ramanujan and his short lived life read his detailed Biography written by Robert Kanigal, in English. Also the book has been translated into most of the Indian Languages during the 125 th birth anniversary of the Great mathematician.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

National Mathematics Day, 22nd December, a fitting tribute to Sreenivasa Ramanujan. He was known for his simple but different approach to a mathematical problem.Truly honoured that we have a mathematician whose work is still being researched. He's also the first Indian to be elected as a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, England. The postal department has issues at least four stamps on S.Ramanujan,

On the birthday of Srinivasa Ramanujam, I wish that logical thinking without any bias would spread in every corner of the country. As we can say without any iota of doubt that 2 plus 2 is equal to 4, similarly we must have to learn to say the truth without any doubt or confusion.

On th occasion of National Mathematics Day, I quote Srivasa Ramanujam: "An equation for me has no meaning unless it expresses a thought of God".

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Today, the National day of Mathematics is celebrated by presenting the annual award, instituted in 2005, to Maryana Viazovska of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland. The award is named after Ramanujan - SASTRA Ramanujan Award. The award is instituted by Shanmuga Arts, Science, Technology and Research Academy (SASTRA). It carries a cash award of US $ 10,000/-.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

• Sign In to post your comments