You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the basis of legend of Unicorn?

In the folk-stories of Japan and Korea, we frequently hear about dragon. Dragon is an inseparable part of folklore of this region. Although we have not found any evidence of existence of dragon (komodo dragon found in Indonesia is a lizard), many people of Chinese and Korean origin firmly believes in dragon.

Similarly Indian folklore tells us about the horse which can fly. Flying horses are part of folklore of every region of India. Many people still believes in the existence of flying horses, although zoologists think that such horses are not possible.

In Europe, people believe in Unicorn. Unicorn is a legendary creature which has been described as a beast (like dear) with a single large, pointed, spiraling horn projecting from its forehead. I am interested to know how this non-existent animal appeared in the imagination of European people. Why many people in Europe believe in the existence of Unicorn.

Can any Member help?
    I get to answer a cool question today.
    Three splendid animals were born in Americas. They escape the new world and never returned. Those animals are horses, rhinoceros and elephants.
    Today they are found all over Asia and Africa.

Unicorn isn't exactly mentioned in Vedas but a similar flying horse is. You see, unicorn was never a flying horse. As the name suggests, a horse with one horn, is called unicorn.
    So, unicorn wasn't the one mentioned in Vedas. But there are Indus Valley descriptions of a horse-like creature which sported a single horn. A unicorn, that too around 2000BC.
    After thorough research, scientists, archaeologists and anthropolpgists concluded that the inscriptions were that of one-horned rhino.
    Maybe, primitive man concluded rhino as a one-horned horse. You know what, he isn't wrong. Rhinos are very close relatives of horses. So, rhinos are living unicorns.

Horses were never found in Europe. Northern Europeans, who migrated in from Russia, brought horses with them. They never saw rhinos. Then how did they come up with unicorns? That's a mystery of sorts. Maybe unicorns were borrowed from Greeks and Romans. Romans used Rhinos in gladiator fights. Roman empire stretched as far as Germany and England around 1st B.C..
    Along with the empire, spread the legends and myths.

Today, Scotland's national animal is a unicorn.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I think I can help about Dragons too. Dragon is a Latin word I guess. This was used to describe a very large serpent.
    Pythons were considered as dragons for a long time.
    Asian dragons are serpent like and live in waters mostly. Reticulated Pythons must be those dragons because it perfectly matched the description. Indonesia has komodo dragons. A large monitor lizard. These dragons are very real and have Dragon like abilities such as poisonous breath, astonishing 60 kmph speed, sharp fangs and extremely good swimming abilities. European dragons strangely looked like dinosaurs. This gives various suspections.
    But most European animals are the migrated ones. Which means that Europeans borrowed the tales of Dragon from somewhere and made it their own.
    Many European nations, Greece, Italy, Germany, Scandinavia as a whole and Russia depict their dragons like serpents.
    There are no big serpents in mainland Europe. So this was a borrowed legend for sure.

End of the day, dragons are serpents.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I always find mythical characters and unique creatures very interesting with their immense power as shown in ancient literature and their depiction in the movies but, didn't have an idea about their origin. Except for the one horn creature which was found in excavation during Harappan civilization and was worshipped.
    But the explanations, analysis, and estimations about their history which are written here does seem to fit in with the depiction of these creatures.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

The Unicorn is an animal with one horn. It is similar to a horse. In the mythology, there were some stories wherein the prince will come on a horse flying and take the princess of another empire and marry her. Like this, we hear many stories. How far this is true or not we don't know. I don't know whether the single horn creature found in Harappa civilization is same as a unicorn. anyhow the question how the Europeans come across this Unicorns is unanswered.
    drrao
    always confident

Unicorn is more like a magical horse that's associated with dreams, visions, success, victory and good winning over evil. It also is a symbol of purity and nobility. I was not aware of a unicorn being Scotland's national. The thought of Scotland brings visions of the Lochness monster, rather than the Unicorn. Apparently, early Greeks felt that unicorns lived in India and have been described as wild asses or one-horned horses. The Unicron is also known for its indomitable spirit when cornered it would rather die than surrender. Perhaps all these qualities with reports from Indus Valley and travelers made the legendary creature live long in the history of these people.

• Sign In to post your comments