You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Pythagoras, the great man who worshipped numbers

Numbers were everything to him. Pythagoras was a special type, who believed in numbers and worshipped them. He strongly believed that each number has a meaningful idea with possible interpretation behind it. 'One' is the starting point of numbers and it gives birth to other numbers. According to Pythagoras it is the 'Cause' or Motive for other numbers. 'Two' is opinion. 'Three' is merging (dissolving). Four is justice.Five is marriage; Six is creation and so on.
    Similarly he attributed properties too to these numbers. Five has the property colour. Six has cold, seven has health, eight has love and so on.
    The Pythagorean group formed by him worshipped music and it's foundation, that is mathematics. They believed that music would purify the 'aatma' (spirit) just as medicine purified the body.
    Good information on Pythagoras. In our high school in mathematics in trigonometry, we studied a theory known as Pythagoras theory where is proved that the sum of the squares of the two sides of a right angle triangle is equal to the square of the side opposite to right angle. Is he the same Pythagoras the author is talking. This is the doubt I have.It is a good information shared by the author regarding a person with a lot of love towards numbers and we defined and explained many numbers. My sincere thanks to the author for sharing the information.
    drrao
    always confident

This Pythagora is very new to me. I know Pythagora in trigonometry. It was a tough subject for me to understand his theory on a triangle.
    No life without Sun

A nice piece of information. Yes, we are aware of the Pythagoras theorem that we studied in mathematics. That is the square of the hypotenuse equals the sum of squares of other two sides of the triangle. It is all about numbers and how they formulated it.
    Do what inspires you !!

Nice informative thread on one of the known names in ancient mathematics.Related to the above thread, Aristotle is said to have opined that Pythagoras studied numbers for the hidden and mystical reasons and did not have much of practical applications. Pythagoras is also known to many great learned individuals of his time and was considered to be more than a mere mortal. He is also the center of many legends and is known to study music also. He encouraged women to study and contribute, The Pythagorean theorem, also forms the basis of the equation a2+b2 +=c2. Many scholars from different parts of the world discovered the similar theorems but Pythagoras recorded the first proof, hence the credit to him. He'reported to have mystical powers with legends of modifying the behaviour of animals, he led a simple life and believed in good physical exercise and morning walks. Looks like, there is a lot more for us to learn from this great man.

Famous Pythagoras theorem is known to everybody. It is this Pythagoras himself who was inspired by numbers. The comment that his works had no practical applications is not fully right. The very theorem related to right angled triangles (the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of squares of the other two sides) is highly used in several fields. Even earlier to the period of Pythagoras this principle had been in use among construction workers, especially among masons and carpenters. I remember to have posted a small article on Pythagoras a couple of years back in ISC itself.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

I thank the Author for this information about interpretation of ideas by Pythagoras.
    CNN reporting, over 1000 years before Pythagoras was calculating the length of a hypotenuse, sophisticated scribes in Mesopotamia were working with the same theory to calculate the area of their farmland. Working on clay tablets, students would write out their math problems in cuneiform scripts, a method that involved making wedge shaped impressions in the clay with blunt reed. These tablets bear evidence of practical as well as more advanced theoretical maths and show just how sophisticated the ancient Babylonians were with numbers- more than a millennium before Pythagoras and Euclid were doing the same in ancient Greece.
    In India, the Baudhayana Sulba Sutra, the dates of which are given variously as between the 8th century BC and 2nd century BC, contains a list of Pythagorean triples discovered algebraically, a statement of Pythagorean Theorem, and a geometrical proof of general Pythagorean Theorem using an area computation. According to the Alburt Burk, the historian, this is the original proof of the theorem and he further theorized that Pythagoras visited Arakonam in India and copied it.
    History is always confusing!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

I'm interested in the religion. How should I enroll ? Unfortunately I cannot. The religion was dissolved around 2nd century AD.
    I wouldn't call it an organized religion though.
    Pythagoras was also a respected philosopher and his thoughts defied religion at every turn.

Maybe, just maybe, he was mocking the religions by resorting to create one for himself.
    Come on, honestly, a brilliant mathematician and logician of his likes wouldn't do something like this. But his followers remained faithful to his folly.
    They even made temples in ancient Egypt and Greece.
    Some even raised him to Godhood.
    He had a fruitful and immortal life i believe.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

When we talk about history as old as the days of Pythagoras, we have to remember that discoveries, inventions and articles did not spread quickly at a rapid pace. It had to slowly percolate through the established routes used for trade and communication. Also, people had to present their discoveries and this had to be documented or by word of mouth dispersed to various parts of the world. For instance, Sushrutha, the father of surgery was so ahead of his times that his principles and inventions are still used by us. But he was not as well known in the world as his ancient European and middle east counterparts.

No doubt Pythagoras was a great mathematician of his time and his dedication to mathematics and specially emphasizing its relation to non mathematical entities is noteworthy.

I salute to that legend who in his own way contributed to mathematics which is remembered by so many generations.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments