You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Commercialization of places of faith. Is it true?

Do you feel that places of faith have become very commercialized? Have you experienced this first-hand?

As time goes by, people visiting temples or places of faith has been increasing. Visiting temples regularly, one can't ignore the new changes that are happening around these places of worship.

Almost every day there is a special pooja, mechanized drums and bells, differential lighting, loud music and structural extensions. The costs of the number of types of services have increased. There are many priests, each who do the same poojas once money is handed over to them.

I'm glad that more and more people are visiting these temples to offer their prayers and follow their faith. But there seems to be a good deal of revenue being generated, the revenue would be huge in bigger and well-known temples. Is the money taxed or used appropriately; along with it other service industries have mushroomed and flourishing well.

Is it just a change due to increased demand or are places of faith getting commercialized?
    That's what Brahmin's do. Their occupation relies on the devotees. Conducting different poojas and rituals everyday, these Brahmins make a lot of money.
    All the temples today, have sort of become like a factory outlet.
    It is like launching a new product.
    Faith has been replaced with demands and service with expectations.

If you go into a temple without a dakshina, the priest will look weirdly at you.
    We can't blame them. It's their occupation.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The Devasthanams of the temples implementing new ideas to improve the income of temples. The temples which have a large number of devotee following are completely commercialized. Whenever I go to a temple for a darshan visited by me previously, I find a vast difference. Shirdi Saibaba Temple is a good example. The main hall which was vacant except for the statue of Saibaba is now complete with barricades. Previously, I used to sit in a corner and spend time peacefully. Now there is no chance of doing that. Even the entry is also changed in such way that we feel uncomfortable. The main victim of the commercialization is the peaceful atmosphere in the temple.
    The author rightly pointed out about the mechanized drums and other instruments. These look very out of place. The Aarti has become a practice at many rivers in the country. The Ganga Arti is losing out its glamour and piousness which we used to fell previously. No doubt number of people are going to temples. I doubt very much whether they are going out of devotion or to wash off their sins.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Definitely, there is an increase in the number of visitors to the temples and other places of worship. The Governments are taking over the temples wherever possible and wherever the income is high. They are going to Endowment Department. Many places are crowded with visitors it is particularly so on festival days and other special days. The priests in the temples are governemnt employees who will get the salary monthly. The income from the temple will be used by the governemnt for many other purposes. TTD income is used in many other activities by Government. As the traffic to temples is increasing the temples also are getting modified accordingly to meet the people's expectations and their comfort. As mentioned in other posts, I too feel the temples are nowadays are more like an establishment rather than a holy place. The visitors also behave as if they are going to a commercial place.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments