You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What the epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha teach us? - Tell it in a nutshell

Members,
    We have read the books of Ramayana and Mahabharatha, watched films and TV serials of the great Indian Epics. Can you tell me in a nutshell, what these two epics teach us?

Let your write up be in two simple sentences of any length, one each for Ramayana and Mahabharatha .

1. Ramayana: -
    2. Mahabharatha:-
    Ramayana tells us that the society is more important than your family and friends. A social worker is more answerable to the society than to his family. The first principle we have to learn from Ramayana is that to honour the words of the Father is the foremost responsibility of the son. The Ramayana tells us many insights into family relationships. How a son be with his father, how a wife should be with her husband, how a brother should take care of his sister in difficulties, how a brother should be with his elder brother and younger brother. Another point we can learn from this epic is to help to the cause whatever small way you can do like a squirrel in the construction of a bridge across the ocean. Like this, we can write so many points which will come out from Ramayana.
    Mahabharat is an example of the success of good over bad. How the God will help the people who are really good in their life and go by the ethics. How one can use his brain in spoiling a person acting as his well-wishers can be understood by observing the character of Sakuni. How a true friend should be with his friend in times of difficulties will be understood from the Karna and Duryodhana friendship. How a kingdom will get ruined if the king is a blind physically or mentally can be understood from this great epic. Finally, politics can be very well understood if we read Mahabharata very nicely.

drrao
    always confident

Dr. Srinivasa Rao,
    You are in a hurry to post and earn full points. I have clearly said,
    " Can you tell me in a nutshell, what these two epics teach us?
    Let your write up be in two simple sentences of any length, one each for Ramayana and Mahabharatha .
    I expected response in a single sentence of any length without any fullstop in between.

No life without Sun

Results are more important than the means. This applies to both Ramayana and Mahabharata.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Ramayana is the great teaching to mankind where in the God served as a human being and gone through various ordeal of the people. Whereas Mahabharatha is the epic of politics which taught us the lesson that those who are bad to you , then you need not spare them.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Ramayana and Mahabharata teach us the importance of morals and values which are very important for our life. In the end, the morals and values will win over evils, this is in brief.
    drrao
    always confident

Ramayana & Mahabharata contain secular and mythological stories of the rulers and wars of ancient India. They are combined with discourses on various Hindu philosophical concepts and themes such as karma, dharma, moksha, the organization, the government etc. One interesting aspect of Ramayana is that at many places in the Ramayana, the descriptions of 4 teeth elephants are found. It is the ancestor of present day elephant 2 million years ago. So, it was written 2 million years ago!
    What I understood from these scripts are Do not do to anybody what you would not like to do to yourself. This is the essence of law. If everyone is upholding this principle, the discussion about religious intolerance never come up.

I love chocolates and ice creams!

Mr.SuN, a good though exercise. It would be impossible to condensed these two great epics in one or two sentences without mentioning all the good virtues.

Ramayana is all about the truths and hardships that one has to face in his or her lifetime, nobody is spared and at all times we have to uphold the moral values of honesty, obedience, truth, sacrifice, faith and respect we should have for our elders, family and fellow humans.

Mahabharata is all about how to survive in the battle of life, we should be brave yet be smart, we should have faith yet have fear of our opponents, we should follow the rules yet at times be prepared to bend them for the good of ourselves and the community, we should have friends who will sacrifice themselves for us and lastly have wise well wishers who can counsel us at times of hardships.

Ramayana teaches us not to see other's with second thought and Mahabharatham teaches us never quarrel with relatives for the valueless earth belongings.

Ramayana is a story of victory of good over evil and it motivates us to have good moral values.

On the other hand Mahabharatha is the story of fight for justice and ones rights and teaches us to fight for our rights however difficult it may be.

Knowledge is power.

@SuN, please post your views also, it would be good to tell children in simple language what these great Epics means until they are old enough to read the a concise book.

Ramayana, a guy is so fixated on his morals that he forgets to have pleasure and fun in life.
    Mahabharata, people have so much fun that morals are long forgotten.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Nataraj,
    As you have asked me to tell the teachings of Ramayana and Mahabharatha , I would say funnily like this in a nutshell.

Ramayana: Never take your wife to a jungle in your life. You may have to fight a war.
    Mahabharatha: Never gamble with your relatives for life. You may have to fight a war.

I hope your children will enjoy this and remember when they grow up to read the epics.

No life without Sun

Ramayana: Even if you are good and virtuous, being a mortal you have to undergo different kinds of worries and sufferings.
    Mahabharata: War cannot settle anything nor can it bring peace to us.

@Mr.SuN, nice rhyming way of the epic as one liners. Aditya's reply would be a glimpse of how the current generation understands and feels about Ramayana and Mahabharata.

• Sign In to post your comments