You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is export quality always better?

I don't get the concept of providing better quality for export and the the things used within the country of manufacture is not as good as export quality. I understand that export widens the market and only if the quality is good, the product can stay in a foreign market. But can't a company produce same quality for both the home country and for the foreign country? Why is there a difference in the quality supplied?

If it is because, the exported products has to undergo various tests, why can't we have the same rules and tests in the home country too? It will be beneficial for the people in the homeland. They who work day and night for producing a product is finally left with secondary quality seems little annoying.

What is your opinion? Am I getting it wrong?
    You are wrong. What I came to understand that we often get miss understood on export quality products. Each client in foreign countries send specifications to the manufacturers in India and they have to strictly adhere to that. Here I am mentioning the specifications and not the quality. Some times the assembly line in our factories fail to follow the instructions thus given and thus the entire lot is rejected at the inspection level itself. And having produced such huge quantity even with small error, the entire lot rejection is the loss for the company. So what they does that they would organize a sale in a big hall at throw away price by clearly mentioning that it is export rejected quality. I have purchased such items which might be cheaper but wont get the best quality. But just for the price we may be tempted to buy and nothing else.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The export quality material is available in our Indian market also. We can also purchase that ex[port quality material if we want. The price of this material may be a little more than the normal product available in the market. The quality will not come free. We may have to pay a little premium for such quality product. Generally, in India, we always opt for less costly material. Even if the shop owner says that the material is better that is why the rate os high we will not believe. Many manufacturers manufacture two or three varieties of products and the low-cost one will be more freely available in Indian market. We all know that China products are cheap and not reliable. But many people opt only for these products as they are cheap. So if somebody is ready to pay a little high cost they can go for export quality material for their use and may be beneficial.
    drrao
    always confident

Generally export quality is supposed to be good but it also depends on other factors like to which country you are exporting or at what rate you are exporting or what are the specifications against which you are exporting that is are they general or stringent.

So if the importing country is very rigid for the quality and ready to pay the commensurate cost then the quality has to be good otherwise the merchandise will be rejected.

So export quality has to be matched with the expectation of the importing country.

Knowledge is power.

I understand what the author means. Many brands that makes consumer goods for the Indian markets also make products to export overseas. But there would be a good perceptible difference in the quality. This is because teh QC ( quality control) seal or sticker has a lot more meaning for the export items, than for the local market items. Here often you will see a product with a shiny hologram but find the piece is defective. I have seen this in textiles. The label will say so many counts per sq mm but the quality will be substandard.
    The same cannot be done for the exported items because the buyers will just reject the entire lot and people suffer huge loses. This is similar to double standards, Lots of shirts are made for the export market, if you just can get some of these from known people in the industry, you will be surprised by the quality and finishing of the product. I agree that it would be expensive but at least allow the same range for us also to buy.

Mass production have same quality. If you're exporting finished goods, the quality won't differ much from that of native one.
    But it is top notch brands that export goods mostly. Which means their prices will be more abroad than in their mother land.
    For an instance, IPhone X comes for 999$ in USA but ranges from 88,000 to 1,04,000 Rs here.
    Exporting finished goods with same quality is actually very profitable to the company.

Now let's look at the raw goods that are exported. Indian rice is imported in countries like US around $40 per kg, but here we can get good quality rice for 60 rs
    I think the real deal is raw goods then. Because of this enormous profit margin makes the producers greedy.
    Good quality is sent for export and a rather nominal quality is distributed among the local buyers.
    But, I think it is for the betterment of the country. Sending good quality to other nations will keep our reputation. This good trade relation soon helps the country to develop an alliance of sorts. Export quality raw goods cannot be expected at normal costs.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

"If it is because, the exported products has to undergo various tests, why can't we have the same rules and tests in the home country too?" -A very relevant question. I had asked this question myself for many years.
    Yes, we were not at all quality conscious We were price conscious and quantity conscious- not quality.

But as Mohan said, export products need high quality, and there may be some custom requirements. As our country needed foreign exchange very much, exports are our priority. So w have to comply with quality. There are systems and mechanisms to monitor quality before export. Quality compliance certificates are needed. All these entail huge expense. However due to competition the price has to be kept at level and parity with international markets. Exports get subsidies, tax concessions and other incentives from government.

However if the same quality is insisted and mandated for inside consumption products, then the manufacturing price will shoot up and people may not be able to buy them. Slowly the business itself will collapse.
    However,y exposure to international brands and markets we are also now becoming quality conscious. Unfortunately even now there are no strong consumer benefit laws in our country. So we have to bear wit items from adulterated milk and food items to spurious and duplicates in even high end gadgets.

• Sign In to post your comments